Filter for 2013 Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago we traded the wife's 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sport in and got a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, and I'm going to change the oil in it for the first time this weekend. The '11 had the 3.8, but the '13 has the 3.6 Pentastar, which uses a cartridge filter. I have zero experience with cartridge filters, so I figured I'd ask for some recommendations.

For now, the oil will be the "old" PP 5W-20 since I have a 30+ quart stash of it, and I'll probably just do OCIs according to the OLM.

I did some searching, and here's what the local auto parts stores have in stock locally:

AAP:
Purolator P1 - $13.49

NAPA:
NAPA Gold - $5.85

O'Reillys:
MicroGard - $5.99
Wix: $6.99
Fram Extra Guard $13.99
Bosch Premium - $10.99

Auto Zone:
Bosch Premium - $10.99
STP - $11.99
Fram Extra Guard - $13.99

Any reason to not go with the NAPA Gold or Wix? Seems odd they are so much cheaper, along with the MicroGard. (Which I'm thinking may also be a Wix)

Any recommendations that are not on the list? I also checked Rock Auto, they had pretty much the same options but would cost more after shipping.

I don't own any vehicles that use a cartridge filter, but from what I've seen discussed here there can be a lot of fit difference between different brand of cartridge filters. Unlike spin-on filters, the cartridge filter design has to be much more exact to properly fit into the engine hole where the filter resides.

So bottom line is that if 10 different brands of cartridge filters were installed and judged on fit quality, there could be some that don't fit ideally compared to others. Have seen many instances where the cartridge seems to be too long for the housing, and it gets crushed during installation and looks horrible when removed at the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Oil pump

21.gif

The Pure One cartridge filter for the 3.6 is a well-made piecewith good specs. It had a bit more surface area and more uniform pleats than the Wix I replaced (which was quite good itself):

IMG_2055_zps971f1adf.jpg

IMG_2056_zpsce96b3d1.jpg

Given those choices i would go Bosch.

Never had an issue with a Bosch filter.

Mann and Hengst have also proved up to the task.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Oil pump

Man, your posts make my brain hurt sometimes.

LOL! Glad I'm not the only one.

Go open the boxes and look at them carefully. Choose the one that looks the best to you and is reasonably priced and don't worry. Have fun

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I'll probably go with the Wix or Napa Gold. After looking at some other threads, it appears they are the same as the OEM Mopar filter as well. That PureOne does really look nice, but it's twice the price too. I might go that route if I were going for longer OCIs.

yvon_la said:
Oil pump

[/quoteAny reason to not go with the NAPA Gold or Wix? Seems odd they are so much cheaper, along with the MicroGard. (Which I'm thinking may also be a Wix) my response to this questio:eek:il pump

yvon_la said:
Oil pump

[/quoteAny reason to not go with the NAPA Gold or Wix? Seems odd they are so much cheaper, along with the MicroGard. (Which I'm thinking may also be a Wix) my response to this questio:eek:il pump

Your posts make absolutely no sense!

50.gif

I stopped by O'Reillys and ended up with the MicroGard. It's literally the same filter as the Wix, but in a different box and $1 cheaper.

Looks good. As it's a cartridge think you're right about it being the same as Wix/Napa Gold. That's a good price too. Surprised about the Napa Gold price, I generally get the NG Hyundai/Kia cartridge for that price but on the twice year 40% off local Napa sale. NG(wix) cartridges I've used have been very high quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back