Filter for 2013 Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd check the efficiency (percent @ micron rating) before picking. There are some surprising differences out there. For example, most synthetic media filters (I know, there's not a synthetic media filter available for the Pentastar yet, just providing an example) have very high efficiency ratings... but the Wix synthetic is horrible even compared to their standard filter, let alone competitors like Fram Ultra, Purolator Synthetic, and Royal Purple/Amsoil/etc.

Since efficiency of the filter has been broached, I'd like to know the efficiency of the Mopar oem in this filter in particular and the other Mopar cartridges in general. I say this because it very rare that the oem publishes efficiency specs, they are generally kept proprietary. If not for the Amsoil test of some oem spin on filters, those filters like the FL820S would still be thought to be the old vague ~80>20um, the others tested would be a mystery to. So if there is a citing for the standard Mopar cartridge filters' efficiency please post it as I'd be interested in seeing it.

And using the spin on filters as the example, it's not been difficult for the aftermarket filters to have a much better ISO efficiency rating. With that in mind, I personally would be surprised if the Mopar oem is any better than the OP's MG/Wix, in fact if similar to spin on examples the MG may be better.

As for with WixXP, if the spec is accurate imo that is an example in the extreme not the rule. So, while there may be more efficient filters than the OP's MG, I'm thinking it's equal to or even better than the oem, if can you find the spec of the latter.

Here's a comparison of the Mopar filter, which is what was in it, and the MicroGard. MicroGard was just a tiny bit taller than the Mopar. Mopar has 41 pleats, MicroGard has 44. Mopar is made in USA, MicroGard is made in Poland. The MicroGard has some sort of bypass valve at the top, and the Mopar did not have it. The paper included in the MicroGard box said this was a recent addition to this filter.

I did notice the cover on the filter housing says Hengst on it, so I'm thinking maybe the Mopar filter is also a Hengst. I did see that Rock Auto has the Mopar filters for $6 and change, but you have to order them in a case of 10. I'm thinking I may just order a case of them for future oil changes.

The Mopar filter's I'm getting up here through the dealership are Hengst, who is also the manufacturer of the filter/cooler assembly.

I've not seen an issue with the couple I've done so far.

Myself, I'd be a bit leery of a filter manufacturer adding a part to the filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back