Filter Change Too?

I change the oil and filter on my 2021 Kia K5 every 6000 km. I just changed it this morning. The oil is usually black but after draining the filter the paper pleats are still a honey colour and there is no damage to the filter. The last few times I have changed the oil I have contemplated reusing the filter but have chickened out. I know that people will say to change both as the filter is only a few bucks more. But it is not. The oil filter is $15 to $20 dollars at the stealership and only a little bit less on Amazon in Canada. It has a 1.6 turbo GDi engine What do you think?

I have almost 130,000 miles on a Honda Civic and skip the filter every other time. I change the oil only at 5,000 miles with my MityVac and change the filter and synthetic oil every 10,000 miles. I am not sure about a Kia but if it looks honey colored as you stated I would not be afraid to run 10,000 miles on a filter. Many on this forum run 10,000 miles on oil and a filter.

Assuming you're still under warranty, the only concern I'd have is whether you're changing the filter frequently enough to comply with maintenance requirements. As long as you're within the time/mileage for the filter, I would skip the filter on every 2nd change. The manufacturer's OCI on our Tiguan is 1 year/15,000km. Until I get some oil analyses done to convince myself 15,000km is safe, I'll be using the oil extractor every 7,500km and changing the filter on every 2nd change.

What is the filter you are using rated to? I personally believe in changing the filter every oil change but others choose not to.

But if you push that filter over the the specified mileage and it fails don't blame anyone else but yourself, just stick under what the filter is rated for if you must re-use it.

I change the oil and filter on my 2021 Kia K5 every 6000 km. I just changed it this morning. The oil is usually black but after draining the filter the paper pleats are still a honey colour and there is no damage to the filter. The last few times I have changed the oil I have contemplated reusing the filter but have chickened out. I know that people will say to change both as the filter is only a few bucks more. But it is not. The oil filter is $15 to $20 dollars at the stealership and only a little bit less on Amazon in Canada. It has a 1.6 turbo GDi engine What do you think?

Years ago my friend that had a 2001 Oldsmobile, forget what model, well it had a Cartridge oil filter, he changed his oil every 3000 to 5000 miles or so, and he left the oil filter on. At 20K he brought the car to me and said can you change the oil filter when you change the oil, I said no problem, he said his oil filter was on there for 20K.

I told him, this is going to be bad, I should have saved the oil filter, it looked just like an oil filter that had 3000 or 5000 miles on it. I think that todays oils are so good that it is more important to change the oil at recommended intervals then it is to change the oil filter at the same intervals.

Do my daughters 2020 KIA Soul Turbo every 5K with oil and filter, not into every other OCI for the filter, with all the talk about Kia/Hyundai engine problems not gonna take any chances, want to stay ahead of the game.

I don't think changing the filter every other oil change would be an issue provided two things:

(1) about 7500 miles maximum on the oil each change meaning ~ 15,000 miles maximum on the filter which won't stress it much since you aren't allowing the oil to get very dirty, and (2) you are using a premium filter like a Mobil 1, Fram Ultra or equivalent.

The manufacturers of the premium filters rate them at 20,000 miles and that's assuming you are going 20,000 miles on a good synthetic like Mobil 1 ESP and under favorable (not extreme) driving conditions. So there is a good margin of error in using a filter like that under the scenario I presented.

Doing so with an orange Fram filter that cost $3.99 ? Maybe not such a good idea.

Back