Filter change did not resolve lifter tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed the PureONE to a new NAPA Gold 1040 today in an effort to resolve the lifter tick in my car. Started it up.... Was gone, and came back again. Maybe it will take a while, but I doubt it. With the hood up, moving the throttle lever manually from the TB, when I rev it a little and let off the gas, it slows down and almost sounds like a few marbles bouncing around in the passenger side of the head. When I had the VC off the rockers didn't seem loose. Anyone have any clue what this is about? Didn't do it on the Pennzoil Platinum, but does it now on the Maxlife.

Someone said my car likes thin oil. I think they are right. The PP is thin for a 5W-30 and the Maxlife is thick, so I am betting that is it. I'm going to run this oil the full OCI, not going to waste the money.

No. When it's been driven for a long time, like half an hour or more, it doesn't do it. When cold, it doesn't do it. It's from about 4, 5 minutes after startup till it's been driven for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Thicker oil should solve the tick; try GC...

Going to a thicker oil is what started it. 10W-40 maxlife was bad. 5W-30 PP didn't do it at all. Maxlife 5W-30 is doing it again.

try thinner oil,my firebird ticks like crazy if i use any thicker oils than 10w30 in it,it got about 150.000 miles on it. my friend has a firebird too,and the engine was sounding like a diesel engine with 10w40 oil. i gave him 4 quarts of 10w30 oil,and the noise went away after we drained the 10w40 oil,and
poured the 10w30 oil in the engine.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Sounds like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6N_il3WiY

sounds pretty much the same as my 3.1 engine,when i was using some other oils than 5w30 or 10w30 in it.
i spended a lot of money on different oils,when i was trying to stop the ticking noise,i had luck when i tryed 10w30 oil in it,it still ticks at first when i change the oil,but goes away quit soon,if i use oils like 10w40 it just keeps ticking and driving me crazy
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
5W-30 PP didn't do it at all. Maxlife 5W-30 is doing it again.

So the solution would be...........
28.gif

I dont think messing around with thin /thick oil is going to free a sticking lifter (if thats whats going on) a solvent pre OC flush would have a better chance or maybe 16oz MMO for a full OCI.

Berryman Chemtool is the strongest flush i know of that goes right after varnish in the lifters.

Last edited:
Thin it back down today with MMO,you can do this like right now report back if MMO really does it.This is a textbook case for MMO...I'd do just for the science of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Thin it back down today with MMO,you can do this like right now report back if MMO really does it.This is a textbook case for MMO

Maybe towards the end of the OCI. I plan on running this at 5,000 miles or so at least before I change it. If I put MMO in I'd want to change it much sooner.

I had a fairly loud ticking noise from my Neon. It was noticable inside the vehicle when sitting at an idle.

During disassembly it was discovered the cam had pitting and a few of the rockers were bad as well.

Replaced all that... tick gone.

Last edited:
maxlife is a very thick 5w-30 11.5cst @ 100c
PP is 10.3 or 10.5 i believe.

i'm running maxlife 5w-30 in my integra and its the same with any other oil i've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back