Lifter Noise - What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I've posted a few questions about my vehicle before but this one's a bit more specific. It's a 1991 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 OHV Cologne engine. Notorious engine for top end valvetrain noise due to lack of lubrication. Long story short, I went in to replace the lower intake gasket and while I was there, replaced the pushrods & rocker arms as well as rotated the rocker arm shafts. I found quite a few unhappy wear areas but not as severe as I thought. I didn't see any obviously collapsed lifters either. I was hoping that might cure my long-time cold-only ticking issue. It didn't.

So, I'm thinking that the hydraulic roller lifters aren't getting enough oil when cold, probably due to varnish or clogging (there were extended oil changes in it's past). The issue is only when cold. When it's warm, it's all dead silent. When starting it cold, it's quiet for 5-10 seconds then starts rattling away until it warms up.

My question is, being that the heads have to come off to replace the lifters, is there anything else I should try as far as high-detergent oils or snake oils? I've got Mobil 1 HM Syn 5w30 in it right now, just because it was on sale.

Well ... on the older Jeep I6 engines, some people recommend running them at 3000-4000 for a minute or two once they are fully warmed up. Apparently that somehow "frees" up the stuck lifters.

You're 100% certain that the cold tick sound isn't an exhaust manifold leak?

They often go away when warm because the manifold heats and expands, closing off the leak....

Pretty sure. There's several lifters that tick, the noise comes and goes for some. It was quite a while back but the previous owner also did this same repair which quieted the engine down completely. Then it was driven hard with oil changes lacking by a teenager.

You could try running a can of Berrymans Chemtool in the oil for 20 min at idle.
Put it in a cold engine, start it, idle only then change the oil and filter. Add a 15oz bottle of lubeguard engine treatment or a can of rislone concentrate to the new oil.
If that doesn't get it over the course of an OCI you probably need to replace the lifters.

The additives are a hail Mary pass, sometimes they work sometimes not but its what i would try first before tearing into it.

Edit: +1 on checking the exhaust manifolds for a leak. Look for broken studs at the head.

Last edited:
I think ford had a factory recall on this specific problem. I would stop by your ford dealer,and have them look into it. There may be other outstanding recalls on your vehicle that they can fix as well.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well ... on the older Jeep I6 engines, some people recommend running them at 3000-4000 for a minute or two once they are fully warmed up. Apparently that somehow "frees" up the stuck lifters.

That's what the donkeys at that one ford dealer did to that poor guys mustang last year (I think?). They filled it with some crankcase cleaner and red lined it for who knows who knows how long all around town, on the highway etc.

I dont think it worked for them. Lol.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I think ford had a factory recall on this specific problem. I would stop by your ford dealer,and have them look into it. There may be other outstanding recalls on your vehicle that they can fix as well.

I'm not so sure Ford would honor recalls on a nearly 25 year old engine. Then again, what do I know?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Edit: +1 on checking the exhaust manifolds for a leak. Look for broken studs at the head.

How would I go about this with everything assembled? Put a short ratchet on each nut and see if it turns easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back