Filter Additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry if this has been addressed before. Some good oil people keep insisting that the TP filters will filter out the oil additives. I thought this had been proven false, but even Terry Dyson seems to imply it is is true. Am I just getting the wrong message?

I've seen no proof that this is the case. If it were true, one would reason that UOA of bypass filtered engines would show lower additive levels. They don't.
21.gif
Now George of CLS asserts that true filtration down to the lower micron ratings does strip out VII, but others, of equal, or even greater, merit, assert that a VII molecule would have to be HUGE to be filtered at the micron level.

I use a TP filter and get a UOA every time. My results come back great. Blackstone always suggests that my oil is in very good shape.

Additives are used up by dirty oil. Additives last a long time in clean oil. New additives are added when you change the filter and add a new quart of oil. We know the reason the additives aren't removed is they show up in the oil analysis. All you need to worry about is things that are too small to be filtered out by even the submicronic filters. For example some diesel soot is too small to be filtered out. Normally new oil added at filter change will keep the soot diluted down to a safe level. I would love for the oil in my Ford diesel to look like the oil in the Subaru but it ain't going to happen. Some additives such as Slick 50 will be filtered out by any good bypass filter. One lab told me my oil had too much Molybdenum. I took a sample from a new bottle of oil. They said the Molybdenum was too high. I assume the Molybdenum is a anti wear additive added by the oil company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back