FF Changed in the new Dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, smart to change oil early. Get the junk out!
I was startled by the "GT" label, as others were above, because the U.S. doesn't have that joke label, only SE, SXT, etc.
GT stands for Gran Turismo, which is really stretching it when it's usually associated with Italian cars like the Maserati Gran Turismo.
Now I'm waiting for Fiats's new "Fiat500 HS" (HyperSonic) to hit the market.....
19.gif
to park next to a GT mini-van. Corvettes don't stand a chance!

All kidding aside, I had thought the Pacifica replaced the old mini-van. Now I see Dodge still carries it, not replaced yet. And the Canadian GT version is the top-of-the-line best trim level, should be a good vehicle.
Fram Ultra great choice, Amsoil SS 0w30 would work well like you say.

Originally Posted by wemay
Pictures... pictures...

Look for the "I'm going to do it..." thread. Pictures posted there on the last page.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Yes, smart to change oil early. Get the junk out!
I was startled by the "GT" label, as others were above, because the U.S. doesn't have that joke label, only SE, SXT, etc.
GT stands for Gran Turismo, which is really stretching it when it's usually associated with Italian cars like the Maserati Gran Turismo.
Now I'm waiting for Fiats's new "Fiat500 HS" (HyperSonic) to hit the market.....
19.gif
to park next to a GT mini-van. Corvettes don't stand a chance!

All kidding aside, I had thought the Pacifica replaced the old mini-van. Now I see Dodge still carries it, not replaced yet. And the Canadian GT version is the top-of-the-line best trim level, should be a good vehicle.
Fram Ultra great choice, Amsoil SS 0w30 would work well like you say.

The G.T. replaced the R/T edition I was told at the dealer. The Dodge line continues until 2019 and then it's being retired. Sad because although the new transmission they are using in the Pacifca seems to be debugged it hasn't been out as long as this 6 speed and I know the 6 speed is ultra durable. Not the most refined but certainly a durable unit and easy to service other than having no dip-stick. (Dorman has a $20 one)

I think the Caravan looks a lot better than the Pacifica. I really wish auto manufactures would stop at 6 speeds transmissions, absolutely no need to have more than 6 gears.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I think the Caravan looks a lot better than the Pacifica. I really wish auto manufactures would stop at 6 speeds transmissions, absolutely no need to have more than 6 gears.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the styling of the Pacifica. It's not as terrible as some other vehicles on the road though. Their 9-speed is ultra smooth and responsive now that the bugs are worked out but they started out with issues and reliability problems at first which makes me hesitant to trust it until it has been around a while. Especially from Chrysler which has a history of Transmission issues in new models. Remember the 4-speeds from the 1990s? I can't even begin to tell you how many of those I rebuilt with my dad and we always put on an external coolers with thermostats thereafter to keep the fluid cooler than normal but not too cool it wouldn't lock-up. We would just run the hose from the transmission to the radiator like stock but before returning to the transmission it would go to an auxiliary cooler that had a built in thermostat. In this setup the transmissions would never fail again.

We had the whole remove, rebuild and replace with car running again in 6 hours for the ones that didn't have gear failures and were just clutch problems (typical) and we made a bundle doing it because the rebuild was maybe $300 at the most plus the cooler which was $60 but we could charge at that time $2,000 and were doing about 3 a week. We were even getting work from other transmission shops that were too busy here/there. We would charge them less and they would bill the $2K to their customer. We were happy with it because it meant more cash for us and they were happy because they were making a little bit for just shuffling paper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by parshisa
Is Highlander gone???

Yes, I will miss everything about it except that TERRIBLE 8-speed transmission. Every other aspect was highly refined, smooth, and comfortable,roomy and wonderful. It's too bad the transmission had to ruin that.

That's too bad. Did you consider trading it for the Highlander Hybrid with the CVT?

Because I was taking a loss on the value I couldn't buy another Toyota because I would have ended up with a higher payment than my work allowance pays so I had to go to something less in value and seeing as Dodge had lots of models still on the lot and were deep discounting them and at much better interest rates than through Toyota and my dad's employee discount I managed to save a bundle over the Highlander and shave a year off the repayment term while dropping the payment amount at the same time. Having a few Caravan's in the family and with the reputation they have for reliability and the lack of needed repairs even after high miles I thought this was a good move considering the situation I was in.

There is also the consideration of my bad back which is really picky on seats so I'm usually limited to a few vehicles that I can stand to sit in for long periods of time and with my job that is an absolute requirement.

So there is my complicated answer. I would have loved to go to a 4-Runner with the 5 speed but the tech is really lacking compared to the Highlander but if I knew this 8-speed was such a dog of a transmission I would have gone for the 4-Runner in a heartbeat.

In future I'm not sure I would return to Toyota because of this sour experience that they would release a product with this kind of buggy shifting for the really high cost for what they consider a premium vehicle for them. Aside from the Journey I have always had good luck with my Chrysler vehicles I have owned. Even the Journey was super reliable other than odd sensor problems and a bunch of other odd little bugs. Maybe it was just a lemon but it did return superb UOA's and the transmission was buttery smooth in the 100,000km (60K Miles) I owned it before it was totaled. And I could buy almost 3 Journeys for the price of a Highlander.
Toyota is not that good anymore, at least for the price. Hyundai really screwed them over by having better equipment for a cheaper price. I'd still consider some of their cars, but their trucks and vans are not competitive with domestic models anymore. They really need to bring the Hilux to North America.

I'm not sure I understand the whole Highlander transmission thing.

Did you even go to the dealer and try to get it sorted out? Maybe you just got a bad one? Maybe there was a software update for it?

Originally Posted by Nick1994

Did you even go to the dealer and try to get it sorted out? Maybe you just got a bad one? Maybe there was a software update for it?

Stevie is a Mopar Fiat guy and the owning of the Toyota stuck in his craw. He feels better now.

The Aisin 8 speed was crap in my Volvo too. Even after a few software updates.

I just changed FF in my Grand Caravan yesterday at 4500 miles since it dropped a quart. Went Napa blend 5W20. Coolant jug looks low to me but no marks that I see but since coolant in it I just watch it

US does have the caravan in GT model.
Not for 2018. Go to https://www.dodge.com/compare/detailed-chart.html?modelYearCode=CUD201805 and you'll see its just SE, SE+, & SXT.
In the U.S., there is a "Blacktop Package, $595" that you might think would weakly approximate the Canadian GT model, but Blacktop is really just a bunch of leather pieces and cooler wheels, thats all. .. The GT has a stiffer suspension, among other goodies.
On the Canada-specific website, they clearly show the GT as the top level model, all the way to the right of the line-up.
I think the Caravan looks a lot better than the Pacifica.
Pacifica is much better, looks, performance, everything you could think of.
I really wish auto manufactures would stop at 6 speeds transmissions, absolutely no need to have more than 6 gears.
No. There are benefits to a gear or two more.

Yes, I will miss everything about it except that TERRIBLE 8-speed transmission. Every other aspect was highly refined, smooth, and comfortable,roomy and wonderful. It's too bad the transmission had to ruin that.

It was time anyhow. You probably had 100,000 miles on it already.
wink.gif

Yes I did I actually visited 2 dealerships and had them check it out and the mechanic that went with me for the road test in both instances said that there are a lot of complaints and he isn't aware of what the problem is and there is no reported fix and the one Mechanic said that at least it was the 2017's because a whole bunch went bad in short order and needed replacement. When I heard that I decided with the miles I do I couldn't wait around for them to figure it out.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Stevie is a Mopar Fiat guy and the owning of the Toyota stuck in his craw. He feels better now.

Actually I'm not and have to partiality to the brand. I bought the Journey because my dad has a retiree discount from the years he worked there and because we know a lot about them and their common issues is the only reason I bought a Chrysler.

The Toyota was purchased because it fit my needs and budget and was available to drive off the lot shortly after the accident happened.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

The Aisin 8 speed was crap in my Volvo too. Even after a few software updates.

It's still better than the Toyota version of this shared transmission from what I understand.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Good thing you dumped the FF early in a Dodge, had you done it to a Honda car, you would have a bunch of people blasting you for draining the unicorn super lube early and that Honda engineers know best.
lol.gif

I would heed their advise because of the TSB's they issued and either not change it out or change it out for an oil with as much Moly and the type of moly in the Factory Fill. Not worth chancing it. If they hadn't issued TSB's about it then I wouldn't bother listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back