FF Changed in the new Dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by StevieC
Yes, I will miss everything about it except that TERRIBLE 8-speed transmission. Every other aspect was highly refined, smooth, and comfortable,roomy and wonderful. It's too bad the transmission had to ruin that.

It was time anyhow. You probably had 100,000 miles on it already.
wink.gif

lol.gif

Nice! That's Darth Vader's vehicle, if he drove a mini-van, which I think he did in the 1st Star Wars, or that could be Dark Helmet (Spaceballs), not sure.....
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wemay
Very nice StevieC

[Linked Image]

I'm up to almost 2,000km on the van since arriving in Ohio (1600km or so on this fill of Mobil 1000) I was thinking of dumping it on Friday for the drive back to continue the break in and to continue rinsing out the engine further of all the Swarf of being a new engine and from assembly etc.

So far it has consumed 0 oil even after almost 9 hours of straight driving.

Last edited:
It can't hurt to do another oil change, I'm a big fan of getting all the break in material and silicon out of there, and conventional oil changes aren't too expensive anyhow.

Originally Posted by Patman
It can't hurt to do another oil change, I'm a big fan of getting all the break in material and silicon out of there, and conventional oil changes aren't too expensive anyhow.

thumbsup2.gif

The Pennzoil shop had a line up but the Valvoline shop was free so I went there and had them do the change. I like that you can see what's going on below your vehicle and under the hood with the cameras and monitor they have setup to show you what's being done.

5w20 conventional went in. Will change over to Amsoil when I get home. That should be about 1200-1500km from now.

Break-in tips in the '18 Caravan owners manual are a little different than what I've ever seen. Most makes of vehicles say something like what Ford does "Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1000 mi (1,600 km)."
When Ford says "labor", I guess that means no engine lugging, and also no high RPM engine revving in low gears either. Am I interpreting that right?

Chysler's statement on the subject tries to tell you to reach high loads during "cruising", although its not clear how fast of a "cruise" you could be in.
Although, who pays any attention to the "up to 55 mph" first statement they make! Not followable really, or just ignored by most folks.
Here it is:

breakin.JPG

I agree with most of those break in suggestions but I also wonder when was the last time Ford updated those? It sounds similar to what was written in my 1985 Ranger manual.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'm up to almost 2,000km on the van since arriving in Ohio (1600km or so on this fill of Mobil 1000) I was thinking of dumping it on Friday for the drive back to continue the break in and to continue rinsing out the engine further of all the Swarf of being a new engine and from assembly etc.

You'll be trading it in in another 6 months having exceeding by 100% the mileage terms of the warranty. Maybe you should see if Chrysler Canada is still offering lifetime drivetrain warranty on the big Cummins vehicles. As an added bonus, you'll be using oil with HTHS of 3.5 or greater anyhow.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back