Fellow 2AZ-FE toyota owners: what oil are you usin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the owner of a 2009 Camry LE with the 2AZ-FE. Thinking of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or magnatec next. What are you Toyota 2az-fe owners using?

I was using PPHM 0W20 in mine before being totaled -- purred like a kitten. I have heard nothing but good things with Magnatec though.

I've been servicing a 2007 Camry with the 2.4L and have pretty much poured all of Walmarts available inventory it in over the years. All oils come out looking the same after 5,000 miles and it's currently got 213,000 miles and running GREAT.

Was using 5w20 a lot but now during the summer it's got 10w30 in random flavor.

I was tempted to try the PPHM 5w20 or 0w20 after i saw my voa of it
smile.gif
may still

Originally Posted By: PimTac
How many miles on that motor?

138,556 as of this morning. I'm gonna leave the TG 4386 on til' i hit 20k as its got 16k on it now
smile.gif

Ohh the horror! LOL!

Originally Posted By: car51

138,556 as of this morning. I'm gonna leave the TG 4386 on til' i hit 20k as its got 16k on it now
smile.gif

Ohh the horror! LOL!

It’s just broke in. I think you can run just about any 20wt in that motor. The Valvoline would be a nice choice but anything will run just fine.

smile.gif

Ohh the horror! LOL!

It’s just broke in. I think you can run just about any 20wt in that motor. The Valvoline would be a nice choice but anything will run just fine.

I'm liking the NOACK on the Advanced Syn Valvoline.

smile.gif

Ohh the horror! LOL!

I'm liking the NOACK on the Advanced Syn Valvoline.

I’ve been eyeing the VAS 5w20 for my next run. Noack is 7.6.

I’ve been eyeing the VAS 5w20 for my next run. Noack is 7.6. [/quote]

Yeah, Valvoline has never steered me wrong

My ‘02 Camry is burning a quart every 1100 miles, or so, so it’s being topped off with a brew of whatever synthetic I’ve gotten the best price on (after MIRs!). May run the Valvoline Diesel Special Blue Restore 10w-30 next change to see whether it’s solvents will do anything for my presumably gummed up rings. Not much to lose. Car & engine are at 269K miles.

Last edited:
02 camry with 240k currently running Rotella 10w30 but has lived on M1 AFE 0w30 and whatever else. Doesn't seem picky but the 0W30 makes me feel better when it's really cold out.

Kreen is still much, much cheaper than the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, and if all you are looking for is unsticking piston rings, it's undoubtably a much more targeted approach. You pull the spark plugs, dump 1oz of kreen down each hole, spin the engine over for 10 seconds, then stick the plugs back in overnight. Dump a pint of it in the crankcase, and the next morning check each hole to make sure the cylinder isn't still full, tighten the plugs up, and drive normally. Everything will be freed up by the time you dump the oil in 1k miles. Then if things aren't clean enough for your liking, pour the other pint in with your next oil change.

Trav and Friendly_jacek both have threads with great results using Kreen. I used it on my Fusion that has seen only Pennzoil synthetics for over 100k miles halfway thru an OCI, and after 1,000 mi the oil was so darn dark I went ahead and changed it. And this was with under the valvecover being spotless with not even a hint of varnish when it started. I didn't really notice any changes in performance, which I attest more to the engine not needing a deep cleaning after Pennzoil than to Kreen not working as promised. It cleaned up a good bit of the varnish under the valvecover on my 06 Odyssey, which saw nothing but low-dollar conventional quickchanges for the first 10 years and 135k of its life. I'd use 3 quarts of Kreen in my ride before I paid for one gallon of the Valvoline, as good as it may be.

Adam, sorry for drifting OT a little. Either oil will serve your engine just fine, and with how often you change oil brands, why not buy them both, flip a coin, and do one this time and the other next?
smile.gif

If I was choosing, I'd pick Valvoline. But it's been 20 years since either Valvoline or Castrol have been in any of my personal sumps... but I have no problem recommending either one to friends, especially Maxlife products.

I’ve done a Kreen piston soak pursuant to those directions previously to no apparent effect vis-a-vis oil consumption. Perhaps this signifies some other mode of consumption (valve guides, stem seals, etc.), but a leak down compression test indicated that the engine has 95% of its OE compression in each cylinder, and the oil cloud at start-up seems pretty modest, so I’m surmising that the stem seals aren’t too awful. The Valvoline Restore option may prove ineffectual, as well, but, given the labor inputs for a top end job (20+ hours, per Alldata), it seems cost-justified.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Kreen is still much, much cheaper than the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, and if all you are looking for is unsticking piston rings, it's undoubtably a much more targeted approach. You pull the spark plugs, dump 1oz of kreen down each hole, spin the engine over for 10 seconds, then stick the plugs back in overnight. Dump a pint of it in the crankcase, and the next morning check each hole to make sure the cylinder isn't still full, tighten the plugs up, and drive normally. Everything will be freed up by the time you dump the oil in 1k miles. Then if things aren't clean enough for your liking, pour the other pint in with your next oil change.

Trav and Friendly_jacek both have threads with great results using Kreen. I used it on my Fusion that has seen only Pennzoil synthetics for over 100k miles halfway thru an OCI, and after 1,000 mi the oil was so darn dark I went ahead and changed it. And this was with under the valvecover being spotless with not even a hint of varnish when it started. I didn't really notice any changes in performance, which I attest more to the engine not needing a deep cleaning after Pennzoil than to Kreen not working as promised. It cleaned up a good bit of the varnish under the valvecover on my 06 Odyssey, which saw nothing but low-dollar conventional quickchanges for the first 10 years and 135k of its life. I'd use 3 quarts of Kreen in my ride before I paid for one gallon of the Valvoline, as good as it may be.

Adam, sorry for drifting OT a little. Either oil will serve your engine just fine, and with how often you change oil brands, why not buy them both, flip a coin, and do one this time and the other next?
smile.gif

If I was choosing, I'd pick Valvoline. But it's been 20 years since either Valvoline or Castrol have been in any of my personal sumps... but I have no problem recommending either one to friends, especially Maxlife products.

Ya know I knew you are a PUP/PP guy after all :^)

I'm seriously considering PUP 5w30 since I can get it on wal mart com. You're UOA and Platinum filter I hacked looked darn stout. I know SOPUS lubes clean

Off topic: dad said I could maybe try Rotella 10w30 conventional as I do see some varnish crud thru fill hole. Anyone here use or like the Rotella?

This age was past the head gasket issue, right? but still a known oil burner? I'd use whatever I could stomach paying for on a 5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: supton
This age was past the head gasket issue, right? but still a known oil burner? I'd use whatever I could stomach paying for on a 5k OCI.

Dunno anything about what you just said. Maybe I'll try Rotella t4 10w30 since its $11~ gallon at rural king. Or Valvoline

I have a 2006 Camry LE with 140K. I've been running Mobil 1 5W-30 with WIX oil filter for 80k miles. The car is burning 1 quart every 2,500 miles. I recently stocked up on Mobil 1 5W-30 HM. I am hoping the HM oil will ease the oil burn. Anyone running Mobil 1 HM on 2AZ-FE engines?

-ttvr4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back