Fed up with Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had it on mobile devices.

Use it mostly for marketplace and my town's gossip page. Not that I believe any of that stuff but I like keeping tabs on what others believe.

When election time comes around, tons and tons of dark/ foreign money wants me to see what my friends "really think." That's the best time for a break, it must aggravate the heck out of them to lose audience just at the big money season.

I don't have any social media accounts short of message boards like this. My wife joined FB years ago to stay in touch with people especially after we moved 12 hours away. It has worked for that purpose but not much more.

Personally I am glad I stayed away especially with the play by my rules BS going on now. If you are not aligned you are in FB jail or banned... Feels like censorship to me.

just my $0.02

I should have noted from my first post, I drastically cut back on Facebook, when I do post now, its about the other "love" of my life and mostly all photos and amazing things he can do since going blind last year. So I post in the hope of possibly saving other dogs from being killed because of a disability. People see my videos with amazement. Somehow he managed to turn on my Bluray player, before that he would turn on the Xbox but I unplugged it.
Love this guy, I have learned from him more than other human beings, life is what you make it, he is as happy as ever.
I NEED to do a thread on it one day soon.
IMG_6689.jpeg

I should have noted from my first post, I drastically cut back on Facebook, when I do post now, its about the other "love" of my life and mostly all photos and amazing things he can do since going blind last year. So I post in the hope of possibly saving other dogs from being killed because of a disability. People see my videos with amazement. Somehow he managed to turn on my Bluray player, before that he would turn on the Xbox but I unplugged it.
Love this guy, I have learned from him more than other human beings, life is what you make it, he is as happy as ever.
I NEED to do a thread on it one day soon.
View attachment 90437
JBL center??

Haven’t been on FB, so… no. Sometimes I feel like that here, but its a bit different here and on forums. Bit easier to moderate and/or take a break I suspect.

How do you feel about the Bitog rules, and what makes them different?
While very quick to pull the lockdown trigger, BITOG does have real humans who monitor this site, FB does not. Case in point:
I've mentioned this before on this site, but a local Ford dealer posted that they were giving away a steak dinner to a contest winner. The contest was to show a picture of their Ford. They didn't state "Ford car" or "Ford truck", they just said "Post a picture of your Ford".
When I humorously posted a photo of my Ford, FB immediately took down my photo and said I was in danger of being banned because of my photo. I protested and again, they said my photo and my protest was in danger of getting me booted from FB and I was to drop my protest. I'm not sure what was offensive about my photo. Perhaps the algorithms kicked in real hard because it looks like a gun...or they are being policed by a bunch of tree lovers. :LOL: Anyway, here is my "Ford" photo that I attempted to post on Facebook:

Attachments

• fordsaw.JPG
    fordsaw.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 26
I previously used it on a regular basis before 2019 but have severely limited my usage since to the point that I may only check it once a month, maybe. It has turned into a gigantic waste of time that is inundated with irrelevant advertising.

I like FB. It has allowed me to get to know relatives that live in NY that otherwise would barely be a name to me.
It is a quick way to send $$. Lot of helpful stuff.
In a nutshell, it is a good way to keep in touch and to find people on occasion.

Personally, I don't sweat the small stuff. The privacy ship sailed a long time ago.

Reactions: wtd
I was on it for years and found it to be a great way to keep in touch with old friends, and the marketplace was useful to me, but the negativity and other BS just got to be enough, and it wasn't worth the effort anymore. It reached a point where I couldn't post anything without some dipwad or Karen coming back with some absurd counterpoint. I could literally post that the sunflowers look beautiful on a clear, sunny day, and somebody would post a response disparaging sunflowers or sunny days, so I deleted my profile about 18 months ago and don't miss it. The Karen's and the rejects living in their mother's basements have ruined it.

JBL center??
Yes!
I bought it at a good price.
Before that I tried a Polk and Sony, they couldn't really handle the power well or clear midrange. Granted I dont always drive the speakers so loud but sometimes I do and heard an uncomfortable bottoming out on the woofer ( I think it was the Sony cant remember, it could have been the Polk)
Anyway, between the Polk and Sony one couldn't handle power well and one didnt have nice clear midrange for voices in movies. To much bass in the voices

Tried this JBL and it was just right, no issues at all. Was a little more expensive, guess get what you pay for though I didnt pay that much, it was on sale at the time. Center Channel speaker is so important with video. I wouldnt call this one perfect but I would say its a lot better then the other too. Even this one, I wish for a bit less bass but dont take it the wrong way. I would recommend it to anyone to try. Its very close to perfect and the difference could be in the receiver to make it perfect.
Ill say one thing, the dynamic range and overall fullness of the speaker with a good blu-ray is stunning. Crazy good.

Last edited:
I use Facebook to connect with friends and family and to set up motorcycle rides. Nothing more on my page. I have my settings set in such a way as to not allow the general public to view my page. I'm also very careful what I post anywhere on the internet on any public platform.

I have a hard fast rule on posting. Anything I put on a social media platform I have zero and I mean zero problem for the whole world to see. It disturbs me when I think of what some people post. Bragging about how many firearms they own (and posting pictures with serial numbers), how they carry them, political views, personal info, etc. It's a recipe for disaster.

Only my closest family members and friends know my military background, security clearances and other personal info about me.

I've been on FB since about 2009.
Lately I'm thinking my life may be better if I avoid it altogether, or at least limit what and where I post on FB.
It can be addicting and disappointing at times.
Forums like this seem to offer more privacy.

Have you ever spent so much time on FB that it made you step back and ask yourself "what if I quit FB"?
It took you long enough to realize that it's worthless.

When FB first came out, My childhood friends, now spread all around the country, were trying hard to get me to join. Over and over I heard how great it was, how I was going to fall behind 'the group.'

Meh. I was not concerned. I had their phone numbers, they had mine.

When a weather event greatly impacted my childhood stomping grounds, I was frustrated that without FB or twitter, I was largely cut off from the instant info, as it came out.

But this was not enough to get me to join either.

2016 or so I was included on a conference call with my childhood friends and they all grouped up on me to join FB. So, I did so.
I locked down every privacy setting. I sent out freind requests to only those I considered actual friends, and denied any whom I considered an acquaintance, or just someone from my past, as well of dozens of people I never heard of.

I allowed a few in, who I was indifferent to, but did not want to insult by denying them.

I quickly got annoyed that every post by my so called friends, was more or less:
"Look at me!......... Look how great I am!....... Look how great my life is, you should be jealous!!"

This then evolved into:
"Look how smart I am, look how dumb they are, here is a meme that proves it!!,OMG!! Me ME ME"

I cancelled some, blocked others.

Slowly, as the country got more and more divided, and opinions got stronger, and Identity politics took over, I blocked more and more people whether they posted their BS from the right or left.
I'd stopped posting anything about myself long before, and never clicked like, or forwarded anything ever.

I had all notifications turned off on my phone, yet was still getting them. Double checked all settings. Was getting seriously angry.

Deleted FB and Messenger from phone, or tried to, but the newer phone the only option is to turn them off and sometimes they would show back up.

Jan 2021, I deleted my FB account via my laptop. Got some 'FU' texts by some of the most vociferous and insecure, who apparently noticed their number of 'friends' dropped by one, thinking I had deleted only them, and not myself, and thus everybody.

Then, some my so called friends started chain texts. posting their 'look at me' BS and their political memes. Blowing up my phone, wasting my Data, and time.

They seemingly truly believed were proving their 'truth'. But only showing their pathetic desperation.

Too vapid to realize they are still trying to convince themselves.

The least intelligent, are the most vociferous, and desperate to prove that they are not.

Desperate to prove that they are the victim, when they have only ever been the unethical, amoral bully.

Looking for validation that they are not the POS that deep down, they know they are.

I will not feed these delusional Narcissists.

Those demanding attention from their soapboxes......I have deleted, or blocked, those not yet blocked or deleted are not responded to.

I am considering changing my phone number, too, and would have already, if it was easier to do so.

FB is a malignant platform.
A soapbox for the intellectually and emotionally insecure.
You do not use Facebook, it uses you.

I am thankful I tried it, temporarily, as it showed me exactly who is not worth expending any more effort in trying to continue being friends with.

Good riddance to FB, and those toxic individuals who infest it, whether they be people I once considered friends, or more sadly, family.

Deleted mine after watching “The Social Dilemma” came out on Netflix a couple years ago. I was never into it much so I don’t miss it at all. I’m pretty much completely “social media” free except LinkedIn which is quickly becoming the new Facebook so I’ll likely delete that soon too.

I have Facebook used to be big on it. Not so much anymore. Mainly on there for long distance family and friends and car and tools stuff and currency collections and classic car stuff. I haven’t ever posted anything on Facebook as far as like status updates or whatever they call them. It’s maybe once a day I look at Facebook sometimes not even that. Also there for marketplace too have found some good stuff on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back