Favorite Polish/Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know what people like best when it comes to polish and wax. Ideally, say what you like if you had to buy it locally, aka not via online, but rather if the only place you can buy it at is walmart, target, autozone etc. Also mention your favorite that you order online.

My favorite 2 are NuFinish, in terms of durability, and MEGS Gold Class in terms of shine and look.

I just put a coat of NuFinish on the Outback today. Not the most shiny or deepest gloss, but it holds up well for a car that has no garage to hid in.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I just put a coat of NuFinish on the Outback today. Not the most shiny or deepest gloss, but it holds up well for a car that has no garage to hid in.

Yup, I park on the street and I find NuFinish does hold up quite well. Easily til winter is past, it definitely doesnt make the car very shiny though.

I haven't bought an over the counter wax or sealant in a while. My favorite sealant is Duragloss and it is available locally at NAPA as well as on-line. My favorite wax is Collinite, which is available on-line.
My main criteria for best is longest lasting since I detail my vehicles every 6 months. I buy most things, and not just detailing stuff, on-line. It is typically 20-35% cheaper plus no taxes and almost always free shipping. Nearly all of my electronic purchases in the last 3 years have been on-line, including my 52 in. Samsung LCD.

I've only ever used Nu Finish in the US.

I use the paste not liquid and the paste has been shown to be better.

This might be hard to believe but I still think it's working 4 years after putting one coat on. Now, I did put too much on and left it on too long, in the direct sun, which took forever to get off, and the car has been mostly garaged, even during the day, and hasn't really seen salt or ice.

Durability is great. Even if you don't like the look of it, consider putting it on your wheels.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: HollowEyes

Yup, I park on the street and I find NuFinish does hold up quite well. Easily til winter is past, it definitely doesnt make the car very shiny though.

I've put it on 3 cars and the effect has been different on each one.

On a light green car, no real difference except you can kind of tell there is something sealing the paint.

On a light beige metallic car, it went darker and I would say it spoilt the shimmer that was there.

On a dark green car it went deep and glossy, so much so that heads were turning on the freeway.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
I've only ever used Nu Finish in the US.

I use the paste not liquid and the paste has been shown to be better.

This might be hard to believe but I still think it's working 4 years after putting one coat on. Now, I did put too much on and left it on too long, in the direct sun, which took forever to get off, and the car has been mostly garaged, even during the day, and hasn't really seen salt or ice.

Durability is great. Even if you don't like the look of it, consider putting it on your wheels.

Ya, I heard the paste is better. Im getting through a bottle of the liquid, next i will get paste. I bet it might still be working on your ride. Mine is outside 24/7, temps go from well below freezing to hot and humid, and i bet mine lasts about 6 months.

You say to put it on your wheels? Do you mean your tire sidewalls or wheels themselves?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You say to put it on your wheels? Do you mean your tire sidewalls or wheels themselves?

Wheels. The alloy part!

Collinite 476s wax. Can get it here at Federated Auto Parts Stores. Second choices would be Megs 16 (Local True Value store currently has 20+ cans on the shelf at $16.00 each)or Megs 26.

Duragloss #101 $10 at autoparts store/Federated. Usually they don't stock it but can have it in the store by the end of the day if I call/stop in during the early morning.

Very similiar to NuFinish since it's a sealant and a polish. The DG doesn't stain trim or powder up during removal. Gives a great shine and is durable.

Favorite wax is Collinite 845. It's easier to use than the 476s and that's the only reason it ranks above it.

I haven't met a polish I like. Hoping to try Menzerna next.

Liquid Glass. Sold at AutoZone, though I bought a gallon of it online a while ago. It actually holds up to the rain we have here in the Pacific NW.

I've used Meguire's 'Gold Class' wax for a few years now, and I've always liked the results. The finish seems to last awhile too, since the paint beads for quite a few months after I apply it. My car is never garaged, so a durable wax is important to me.

For my red truck and silver truck I am using Eagle One gel wax. The shine and depth is amazing and it holds up well. The red truck sits out all the time and after six months water still beaded when I washed and waxed it recently. I know it is not an expensive wax but it works fine for me as it is easy to apply and remove. For my fiberglass 5th wheel I use Meguires cleaner/wax and get the same results as the trucks-shine and depth.

Any Collinite for long-lasting
Meguiar's Gold Class or Ultimate wax for shine
Opti-coat 2.0 for "do it and forget it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back