Favorite Polish/Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikered30
Try claying first.

I looked at a Meg's kit for doing that and figured from experience that I would just end up making things worse. Like when I tried to use polishing compound to rub out some slight marks in the clear coat left behind from removing an emblem and it only ended up looking worse than before I started.

Is claying less aggressive than polishing compound?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'm a big fan of Rejex. It goes on easy, buffs off easy, nothing sticks, and it lasts a very long time.

And you can use it on the whole car: trim, windshield, headlights, tires, wiper arms and even blades. No white residue on the trim with it.

I like Rejex, too.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I've used Meguire's 'Gold Class' wax for a few years now, and I've always liked the results. The finish seems to last awhile too, since the paint beads for quite a few months after I apply it. My car is never garaged, so a durable wax is important to me.

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I may have to give this a shot.

The Meguiar's Nxt 2.0 leaves a "greasy" feel and does not rag off well...
frown.gif

Anyone else ever experience this?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
The Meguiar's Nxt 2.0 leaves a "greasy" feel and does not rag off well...
frown.gif

Anyone else ever experience this?

I have had that, too. However, if I let the NXT sit a while longer, it came off easier.

I was just used to waxing the entire car, and then buffing first what I waxed first, and that usually left enough time. I had to have a little more patience with the NXT.

Originally Posted By: Turbodog
This is a topic I wouldn't give any advice on because I can F'up a paint job faster than a speeding bullet. I will wash my new truck, but I prefer my ratty old paint peeling 400K +mile truck that only needs to be washed about twice a year. Every time I wax some shiny paint I just seem to put swirl marks in it. I use a nice clean new microfiber towel to remove it, and the sponge that came with the Meg's to put it on. I've even tried washing it twice before waxing.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

It sounds like it's your washing process that's the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I have tried washing the truck twice before waxing it, and it did help. If the clay isn't going to scratch the paint then I will give it a try the first time this spring.

Clay will not scratch the paint unless the clay is dirty or dropped on the ground. It will definitely make waxing easier because it will make the surface smoother.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Clay will not scratch the paint unless the clay is dirty or dropped on the ground. It will definitely make waxing easier because it will make the surface smoother.

Depending on the aggressiveness of the clay, it can/will leaving marks behind.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: bigmike

Depending on the aggressiveness of the clay, it can/will leaving marks behind.

Well, that may be true but the over-the-counter clays I've used are not aggressive enough to do this. My recommendation is to pick up some Meg's clay and follow the directions.

For regular day-to-day use: Meguiar's NXT2.0/Gold Class, or any mid-to-high-end sealant
For show/meets: P21S Concours 100% Pure Carnauba Wax (deeper shine than you would believe), usually on top of P21's Sealant after letting the latter cure for 36hrs and followed by a very light application of Glaze

The Collinite 476 is still perfect after 3 months on my car, which lives in Atlanta. It is garaged, but it sits outside all day when at work. Still beads the water like crazy.

I would call it my favorite wax!

Meguiars Detailer - D151. Has an amazing cut and the shine is nice for an AIO. You can buy samples on ADS.

For a wax my favorite is Meguiars M26 or Chemical Guys Butter Wet wax.

My favorites: (you can't have just one)

1.) Collinite 476s (my favorite)
2.) Collinite 845
3.) Collinite 885
4.) NuFinish

I really like everything about nufinish except for the fact the white compound stains the paint defects, and any trim you get it on.

The collinite wins hands down, I am good at applying 476s, and can work with it well, 845 definatly is easier but lasts a tad less. 885 is by far the most durable, but is absolute misery to remove. You must use at night before the dew sets in, or you need a helper to buff moments after you apply.

Last edited:
Rejex for a sealant and for wax I bought some zymol destiny at a garage sale that gives a nice shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back