Favorite Oil/Strategy Among Subaru STI Drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSR

Will be picking up a new 08 Subaru STI shortly. Subaru now recommends (requires?) a 3750 OCI. Keeping to that schedule would seem to mean synthetics less necessary (or would it? what about coking etc.?). STI owners, what do you do? Keep to that schedule with dino? blend? Ignore it and go with syn? Favorite brands? I used GC in my now sold Forester XT to good effect, but not sure I should stick with it given this short OCI requirement. Thanks...

Congrats on the new ride.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure what I would use if I had an '08 turbo. Probably the cheapest synthetic or a conventional oil.

Here's a good UOA on Rotella conventional 10W30 in an LGT although it's not easy to find.

I've run GC for 8,000 miles in my FXT, and could have gone longer. I think I got it on sale for $4.89, but there are better deals on synthetic depending where you live and shop.

Why did you downsize?
grin2.gif
More fun over more functional?
19.gif

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Is the 3750 oci severe? Are synthetics recommended by
Scoobiedo ? If syns are recommended that is what I would run if they are not why spend the $$$ .3750 miles is a waste of syn oil.

Subaru of America now considers all turbo's to fall under severe service. Mainly due to owner neglect IMO (oh, I'm supposed to check the oil regularly?)

Not much is said in the manual about synthetics (unless it changed recently) except that you still have to follow the recommended OCI and oil grade for your conditions.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I HAD A 1998 IMPREZZA WAGON FROM NEW. ENJOYED THE CAR, BUT IT KEPT HAVING PROBLEMS. RADIATOR,THEY CHANGED THE BLOCK UNDER WARRANTY BECAUSE OF A BAD WRIST PIN, ELECTRICAL, LEAKS, ETC. IT DROVE WELL. EVENTUALLY, I TRADED IT IN. I WOULD RECOMMEND A SYNTHETIC BLEND, AT LEAST. THE TURBO WILL GENERATE A LOT OF HEAT.IF IT TAKES 5 QUARTS (NOT SURE ON THE SUMP), I WOULD USE 2 QUARTS OF SYNTHETIC AND 3 QUARTS CONVENTIONAL WITH A DECENT FILTER. THAT ENGINE IS PRETTY STRONG. ALL I CAN THINK OF IS MY SUBARU WAS BUILT ON A FRIDAY. I HAVE HAD ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. BUT LIKE I SAID, IT DID DRIVE WELL ON DRY, WET OR SNOW COVERED ROADS. MY FATHER HAD A SUBURBAN (2WD) THAT GOT STUCK IN HIS BACK YARD. THE SUBARU PULLED IT OUT WITH THE SUBURBANS WHEELS HELPING. I DID THAT 2 TIMES. I HAVE SINCE MOVED UP TO A RAV 4. I AM ON MY SECOND ONE. MY WIFE TOTALLED THE FIRST ONE.

ENJOY THE SCOOBIE DOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back