FAT bike love!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Number_35
Originally Posted by NYEngineer
35, have you ever tried studded tires? I have not. Might be worth a shot since you get lots of ice.
NYE, yes, bought a set for both bikes after my wife had a nasty fall near the end of the winter in March 2017. They are excellent (45Norths w/ carbide studs), and allow us to run much higher pressures for comparable conditions. 4.0" on my wife's bike and the rear of my bike, and 4.8" up front on mine. Not cheap, but it's great to have them. Just in from riding 16 km, and even with the unusual amount of ice we have this year, the bike was great.

I figured you'd have lots of ice experience. Next time I'm in Maine I'll grab a set of studded tires at LL Bean's bike shop. They had the biggest selection of fat tires I've ever seen anywhere. I'd like to put my hands on em and not just buy online.

In all my years of winter biking and fat biking, I've only got one really bad fall. I hit some really smooth ice and the bike just went sideways out from under me. Now that I'm getting older, I have to think about these things.

NYE, I went to a number of different bike shops here (trying to support my LBS(s)!) and found only the 45Norths. Didn't know about the LL Bean bike shop - please report your findings here. I do like the carbide (vs. steel) studs - they seem to have maintained their original effectiveness well into their 3rd winter.

Regarding your bad fall, I propose that one of us BITOG cyclists (whoever gets to it first) start a thread here describing our worst bike falls. I've had a few of my own - might kick it off.

[Linked Image]

I was up there last summer (LL Bean) and saw the biggest selection of fat tires I had ever seen in one place. I may not make it up there until next summer. I would like to go between Christmas and New Years Day. We'll see if it's in the cards for me.

I'm on board with the fall thread. I have a decent story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back