Fast food workers plan Thursday strike f

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a potential work-around for fast food restaurants:

578159.jpg

Good for them, if it works, then fast food will be more expensive and less of it will be consumed.
That would mean less childhood diabetes, less obesity, less garbage.
The odd time I go just because the food is so cheap and fast, but if it wasn't I wouldn't bother. All pluses for me.

Potential? I have a friend who works for McD's corporate and this is where it is going. Strike or no strike.

Why do you need a counter person? The answer is you don't, just as you don't need onsite order takers for the drive-through either.

And it's not just McD's.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I see a potential work-around for fast food restaurants:
578159.jpg

And you don't need the food preparers in the kitchen either. It can all be just one big vending machine...

1.1284026217.fast-food-vending-machine.jpg

Quite widespread in Japan already, from what I hear.

Actually it is often the Philippines I believe. They speak more western English and the telecommunications infrastructure is better.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Yes, Bangalor Bob is already part of the drive through landscape in places.

Some of the Pizza shops are a step or two beyond that. Order from anywhere and pick-up at the store. Or order from anywhere and have it delivered where you want.

I wonder how the workers will feel when some of the customers go on strike after their increased wages and the resulting price hikes of the food?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And you don't need the food preparers in the kitchen either. It can all be just one big vending machine...

1.1284026217.fast-food-vending-machine.jpg

While a Wendy's burger isn't a culinary masterpiece, it was made for me in the previous 2 minutes. I don't think I'd ever stoop to the vending machine level of food quality though.

It's not just fast food workers either, the specialty coffee shop on Main Street will be affected to an even greater extent.

From personal experience I know how tight their margins are, there's -no- way they could afford to pay $15 an hour. No way, no how. It will cause them to close.

I believe the picture you posted is of a typical "vendo-mat", in that case there is people (er, are people) behind the wall that stock the food doors. It's not like a vending machine where someone only comes every other week.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And you don't need the food preparers in the kitchen either. It can all be just one big vending machine..

While a Wendy's burger isn't a culinary masterpiece, it was made for me in the previous 2 minutes. I don't think I'd ever stoop to the vending machine level of food quality though.

When I was a kid I worked at a couple of McDonald's and a
BK..after that experience I would NEVER EVER eat at one of these places again, and I haven't for three decades. I doubt that the attitude of the [censored] poor low paid employees has changed and the pay is as bad as it ever was when accounting for inflation it is even worse today than in 1981.

The employees don't care about their jobs, or the customers, and that affects how they handle your food too!

Sure you can get rid of the cashier at the counter, but some underpaid uncaring drone still has to make that burger, or pizza.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's not just fast food workers either, the specialty coffee shop on Main Street will be affected to an even greater extent.

From personal experience I know how tight their margins are, there's -no- way they could afford to pay $15 an hour. No way, no how. It will cause them to close.

My very first job was Mc Donalds. Worked their for 4 years while going to school. The store I was working with did over $50k sales every other week. Anytime that the employees pay was more then 1/4th of the profit they sent someone home for the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
hopefully it will be like "the day with out mexicans" we had here a few years ago. traffic flowed nice,no lines at the gas stations etc

It would have been the perfect time to "profile" and deport all the illegal aliens that day. Could have caught millions of em!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

I never worked at a fast food restaurant but I pretty much stopped going to the hamburger places quite a while ago. The food tastes terrible. I would rather go almost anywhere else. About the only time I will go to a McDonald's or other fast food place is if I am traveling and there is no other place to eat.

What was really funny a while back was I was in the parking lot of a small shopping mall where there is a small restaurant that has pretty good food. Workers who were obviously from the nearby Wendy's were going on their break to eat at that little restaurant. They told me they wanted to have some real food to eat.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Good for them, if it works, then fast food will be more expensive and less of it will be consumed.
That would mean less childhood diabetes, less obesity, less garbage.
The odd time I go just because the food is so cheap and fast, but if it wasn't I wouldn't bother. All pluses for me.

Wow...hard to believe your line of "reasoning".

If they worked as hard going to school as they do "fighting" for higher wages, they would already be making $15 an hour.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Chris142
hopefully it will be like "the day with out mexicans" we had here a few years ago. traffic flowed nice,no lines at the gas stations etc

It would have been the perfect time to "profile" and deport all the illegal aliens that day. Could have caught millions of em!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

Or a great opportunity to give them all greencards
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back