Fast food workers plan Thursday strike f

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they strike, their job will get replaced by someone willing to work for that pay. Remember Hostess? Twinkies have never tasted so good!

If they don't like their pay, they should continue their education.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
If they worked as hard going to school as they do "fighting" for higher wages, they would already be making $15 an hour.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

If they don't like their pay, they should continue their education.

Spoken for truth.

Not every employee is worth $15 an hour. This will affect just about every entry level job, mostly small business.

The bigger guys will just automate and reduce their workforce until their labor cost is about the same.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The odd time I go just because the food is so cheap and fast, but if it wasn't I wouldn't bother. All pluses for me.

That's how they getcha! Easy, cheap, and fast.

But these poor workers are being manipulated. If they did perchance achieve the goal there is tons of automation waiting in the wings. I feel sorry for them, as they need real help, not manipulation for political purposes...

And BTW it's not just walk-up kiosks either. That will be part of the mix but it will also include smartphone apps and ordering/pay stations at tables. Not only does this reduce labor costs it also increases accuracy.

I welcome the automated kiosks for ordering, there will be less mistakes. FWIW In N Out Burger starts at their workers at around $12.50 an hour, and the quality of service there is exemplary. Always bustling around cleaning, super nice to customers, and they get the orders out quick.

One thing my friends and I were talking about at our weekly In N Out gathering is a "frequent customer" card. Something where you could go up to a kiosk, swipe the card and your order went in and your credit card was automatically charged. I pretty much order the same thing every time and it usually gets messed up somehow. BTW for anyone going to In N Out, ask for the mustard from the bottle when you pick your food up. They employees freeze up and are not able to comprehend that mustard comes from a bottle instead of a packet.

Nice post bcardinal!

It is about a "reasonable" wage. I agree that today in most markets in the US 15$ is just too much. If these employees get paid a
reasonable wage, they will likely be more interested in
doing a better job and caring about the customer, if the company they work for has some interest in the employees. I'd rather pay more for my meal, even at a fast food place, IF the employees had some pride in their work. You know good products and service are the best answer for "growing" a business.

I have been taught to be the best no matter what your job/ pay is. The fact that an employee doesn't care because they aren't making enough ($7.25) tells me they have a terrible work ethic.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The odd time I go just because the food is so cheap and fast, but if it wasn't I wouldn't bother. All pluses for me.

That's how they getcha! Easy, cheap, and fast.

But these poor workers are being manipulated. If they did perchance achieve the goal there is tons of automation waiting in the wings. I feel sorry for them, as they need real help, not manipulation for political purposes...

That is the catch, not enough decent paying jobs for people here on the low side of average. Who knows, maybe it would good thing overall, if half the fast food workers got canned from automation and the other half got a living wage?

I still see most of the people actually making the food, and one person running off the their feet doing the drive thru. Perhaps the cashier could be replaced with a computer, but the GUI would have to amazing for 98% of the population to use effectively. Plus someone with clean hands has to assemble your order?
I think the automation threat is still a ways off. I don't think people would put up with the drop in quality for food to be processed and assembled by a machine. Plus you know as well as anyone, equipment is great when it works and is maintained to a high standard, but when it ages or someone slacks on maintenance... Having your $300k burger processor fail at lunch might make the $40 more a shift for a person seem cheap!

Only about 25% of the folks making minimum wage are teenagers these days. There are a lot of hard-working folks out there who are trapped in these dead-end jobs. They make too much to get assistance for job retraining, can't afford the cost out of pocket, and even if they could they can't afford to take the time off to pursue such retraining.

If minimum wage had kept pace with official inflation over the decades, it would be $13 an hour these days.

I can't understand how McDonalds is still in business; their hamburgers are some of the worst tasting on the planet. Over here we have Rally's, Carls Jr, and IN-OUT to choose from among a slew of other establishments and they're all better than McDonalds.

I have been taught to be the best no matter what your job/ pay is. The fact that an employee doesn't care because they aren't making enough ($7.25) tells me they have a terrible work ethic.

Cool story bro.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Cool story bro.

I take it you don't agree?

What is worse is the people that are making 17-20$ an hour now, kill themselves for it.

If you knew someone was flipping burgers for 30k a year, and you were doing something that required a real skill and an education, how would you feel if a DA was taking home as much as you?

I have two professional diplomas, three years of post-secondary education. My last job I was running a waterjet for 19$ an hour cutting 5-6,000 pound Aluminum master plates for aerospace.

I did drafting, programming, FAI of the first piece, ran the machine, cleaned and maintained it, did minor repairs (orifices etc.) had certs for overhead cranes, certs for First Aid in the workplace, certs for multiple forklifts and sideloaders.

I work safety boots, goggles, and gloves and sleeves all shift.

And it was a night job to boot, so it was 20$ an hour with the 1$ shift premium.

This was in a LEAN work environment, so you were constantly hassled with labeling locations and photographing etc.

We also had to inspect certs for material etc.

If we load the wrong master or mess up, we only get scrap value of the Aluminum afterwards, and the time cutting is lost as the machine is very slow to cut a nest of 5" plate.

This job messing up was a huge loss in time and money, and then the Aerospace client has to wait and it is all JIT (just in time).

So I made 5$ an our more than what a burger flipper wants. With the sliding tax scale, how much extra would I bring home?

Peanuts would be the difference after tax. So the dummies would be laughing at most average guys pretty hard.

I see two things happening: massive inflation and the trades guys like me hurting for a raise as well.

This would be Communism at it's finest.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's not just fast food workers either, the specialty coffee shop on Main Street will be affected to an even greater extent.

From personal experience I know how tight their margins are, there's -no- way they could afford to pay $15 an hour. No way, no how. It will cause them to close.

When we were in SF, talking to wait staff (there are about double the wait staff in the US per patron than we are sued to in Oz, reflective that companies don't go broke, they employ less people to work harder...just like other jobs), they all wanted to work places like Bubba Gump, where they could take home $150-$200 in tips on a shift.

Macca's staff don't (I think) get anything like that in tips.

If paying people a proper wage, and reducing prevalance/reliance on tips leads to a fairer arrangement, then why not ?

and if it pushes the price of a big mac up a few cents...even better.

Don't get me wrong, the US system had much more attentive wait staff, and as one told us, when you are getting tips, the customer doesn't need to know you're having a bad day, they are there for their enjoyment not yours.

Only thing that will happen with raising minimum wage is (and always has been) about 2-3 months before they raise it EVERY SINGLE THING goes up in price. And ultimately what happens it gives each and every company a chance to not only raise the prise but give you less.

Minimum wage increase never solved anything every expense goes up and takes all the money away. Minimum wage increase is only talked about to please people. Everyone wants a raise but the simple fact is that everything else goes up in price to balance it out.

So your newly found $3 raise simply goes to more expensive gas, rent, taxes, and food.

You never see any new money and if anything it give company's a chance to not only raise their prices but then give you even less.

Originally Posted By: Falken
What is worse is the people that are making 17-20$ an hour now, kill themselves for it.
....and that would be me.

mikeymike.jpg

Originally Posted By: Falken

This was in a LEAN work environment, so you were constantly hassled with labeling locations and photographing etc.

We also had to inspect certs for material etc.

If we load the wrong master or mess up, we only get scrap value of the Aluminum afterwards, and the time cutting is lost as the machine is very slow to cut a nest of 5" plate.

This job messing up was a huge loss in time and money, and then the Aerospace client has to wait and it is all JIT (just in time).

So I made 5$ an our more than what a burger flipper wants. With the sliding tax scale, how much extra would I bring home?

I see two things happening: massive inflation and the trades guys like me hurting for a raise as well.

This would be Communism at it's finest.

Well said, and very accurate.

More and more jobs that USED to be stable, and decent paying quality jobs, with good benefits, are becoming marginalized slave labor positions where the SINGLE employee does the work of what once required three!

Of course this results in less money per consumer and smaller amounts of consumers to spend as well. It is a vicious cycle where business continually keep racing to the bottom when it comes to wages, amount of work, and time worked as well. In the end it is going to kill the idea of the stable civil society, with a good quality of life. Heck, the US is well on its way to becoming a developing country in the next few decades. Disturbing!

Last edited:
"work ethic" question/clarification:
- how many of you are browsing/posting from/at/during work?
- are you being paid more than minimum wage?

laugh.gif

do as I say, not as I ...

I don't eat fast food.

Quote:
“It wasn’t nothing to be scared of. We were in, we were out, we were back home with our families,” Melinda Topel, a McDonald’s worker from Kansas City, Mo., told the workers in the audience. “And I guarantee you that if everyone in this room did civil disobedience, these corporations would have to listen to us.”

Gots to fight for more money. Or get some marketable skills and find your own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back