Farewell to my Charger SRT

Had a rental 2020 Hemi Charger for a day while my vehicle was in for service. Spent most of the day in it.

Ran great. No hesitation on take off. Super quiet ride. Handled awesome in the rain. Tons of trunk space. Did not notice the stop and start at red lights.

Only downside was the a/c was not cooling well at red lights unless the blower was in the highest setting. It was in the mid 90's that day. If the Charger had tint it probably would have been okay.

The FHP loves their Hemi Chargers.

But why exactly is it very popular with them? Was FCA the lowest bidder? :)
Va. state troopers got a bunch of them when they first came out. They loved them because they were fast. Then they started spending a lot of time in the shop, so they didn't love them any more.

Lord willing I'll never part with my Challenger SRT8. I'd give it 4.9 out of 5 stars, and my complaints are quite trivial. I have the manual 6 speed and absolutely love it. I don't drive it much, but it sure puts a smile on my face.

I did rent a V6 Charger about a decade ago for a 500 mile interstate trip. I was very underwhelmed by it. It felt sluggish and boatlike, but granted it was an earlier model with a smaller engine. Still...

Here's my SRT8.
DSC04446PP.jpg

Why did I buy it in the first place? I had an itch to scratch fueled by some midlife crisis and a secret desire to once own a big honking NA V8 in its pure unrefined unpolished rough-around-the-edges American muscle car glory. This car was an “out of character” purchase for me, but I intentionally wanted to try something very different.
Most people with just an itch to scratch would buy one a couple or three years old after the depreciation hit was absorbed by the first owner.

Most people with an itch to scratch would buy one a couple or three years old after the depreciation hit was absorbed by the first owner.
Those cars hold their value pretty well. There wouldn't be a whole lot of savings to realize by buying a 3 year old one, plus, with a performance engine like this, I didn't want to take a chance on how good or bad the previous owner may have treated it. At the time I was buying it, I didn't know whether I was going to keep it "forever" or not.

That's a pretty slow learner then. I should have put it in some kind of special ed class.
When I got the software for my transmission updated, together with the engine software, it took 2000 km or about 1250 miles before it adapted to my driving again, and I'm the only one who drives this car. Now it's as good as it was, though I liked the old shift logic more.

Lord willing I'll never part with my Challenger SRT8. I'd give it 4.9 out of 5 stars, and my complaints are quite trivial. I have the manual 6 speed and absolutely love it. I don't drive it much, but it sure puts a smile on my face.

I did rent a V6 Charger about a decade ago for a 500 mile interstate trip. I was very underwhelmed by it. It felt sluggish and boatlike, but granted it was an earlier model with a smaller engine. Still...

Here's my SRT8.
View attachment 55971
Pretty blue, glad you didn't go with the black rims. ;)

Quattro Pete, sorry to hear about your Charger. I totally understand and given today's used car prices...makes perfect sense. I agree with your review. These are not $150,000 cars and the refinement isn't perfect. I love my 2018 Charger Hellcat and is my daily (which has slowed down some over the last year as well). Have 22,000 miles on it now and is a fun car that also works with a family.

attachments-9.jpg

attachments-10.jpg

attachments-19.jpg

Took some recent pictures from my Canyon drive.

Last edited:
Does Stellantis have any replacement going for these vehicles are they just gonna die on the vine ?
The rumor mill is saying 2023 will be the last year of the current Charger/Challenger/300 and they’ll likely switch them to the Alfa Romeo Guilia platform. There are also rumblings of a new turbo I6 from them to replace the 5.7 hemi.

That's a pretty slow learner then. I should have put it in some kind of special ed class.
Given the trans shift issue PLUS the throttle response issue I think you had a problem there,

Did someone mess with the factory air filter intake? if not there was likely a stuck evap valve or a leak post the MAF.
or a bad ALDL load. Ever look at ST/LT FT?

I thought a few parting words were in order…

Bought it new / custom ordered 3 years ago. At the time, we were getting ready to move further south where snow driving capability wouldn’t be a requirement so I could drive it year round. Alas, those those plans never materialized, so the car spent a lot of time just sitting in the garage during our long Michigan winters and I was still using my old BMW as a winter beater. And then due to pandemic I started driving even less. All in all, I only put on 4,500 miles on it in 3 years. Finally decided that it made no sense for it to just sit in the garage 99.5% of the time and continue taking up space and depreciating while I had to clean snow and ice off my winter beater sitting outside every time I actually did need to drive somewhere.

Why did I buy it in the first place? I had an itch to scratch fueled by some midlife crisis and a secret desire to once own a big honking NA V8 in its pure unrefined unpolished rough-around-the-edges American muscle car glory. This car was an “out of character” purchase for me, but I intentionally wanted to try something very different.

The Good:
- Engine / Exhaust – loved the sound and power – primary reason why I bought it

- Brakes – those Brembos stop the car extremely well, despite the car’s heavy weight

- Suspension – adjustable suspension on the SRT is pretty nice – you can set it to comfort if you just want to go get groceries or drive with family or set it to a more sporty mode for a more spirited run. The track mode makes it even stiffer, but our roads aren’t smooth enough for this.

- Room – good amount of passenger space and cargo space to make it a practical daily driver in warm weather, alas fuel economy is obviously awful, so not ideal for long distances

- Seats – great seats, comfy, good amount of bolstering, pretty good leather quality

The Bad:
- Transmission - I found FCA's implementation of this ZF8 architecture somewhat sloppy, even in sport mode. I’m always comparing it to the programming in wife’s Q5 which has another version of this ZF8 trans and it’s night and day how nicely buttoned up, crisp and precise it is in the Q5. Maybe it’s the use of torque converter that makes it feel that way? The Q5 programming doesn’t seem to use the torque converter at all. And shifting from D to R and vice versa seems to take ages in the Charger.

- Throttle hesitation – not really sure what this was, but when rolling, when I hit the gas hard, there was always just a tiny bit of hesitation before it would take off. Like it would get choked up/startled a bit at first, even in manual mode. Weird. I’m sure 9 out of 10 service advisors would just roll their eyes and dismiss it as normal/not-there/nit picking, so I didn’t even bother mentioning it to them.

- Weight/size – it’s much bigger and heavier than any other car I’ve owned in the past. Again, one of those things that may be a personal preference. I guess I learned that I prefer something smaller, lighter, and more nimble next time.

- Interior – it’s in dire need of a refresh. I’ll leave it at that.

- Paint – I posted about this after taking delivery – the paint had a ton of dirt/blemishes embedded in it. A local detailer was able to get most of it out with some wet sanding and buffing, but some larger chunks that sit way under the paint were not able to be removed. I wasn’t expecting stellar paint quality from FCA, but this was rather pathetic.

Overall, did I like it? Yes. Did I love it? No. If I did, I’d probably keep it longer. But I’m glad I got a chance to experience it and have some fun with it. I think my son is more sad than me to see it go because he found it cool and he picked out the color. :)

48505710946_fb86111a6e_c.jpg
I've said all along Chrysler ZF8 is not the good ZF8, lol! In fact they license and build them for cheaper than the real ZF transmission, for many applications. Because Chrysler.

I've said all along Chrysler ZF8 is not the good ZF8, lol! In fact they license and build them for cheaper than the real ZF transmission, for many applications. Because Chrysler.
they needed to build it locally because they saw it as part of their lineup for a long time to come.

the mercedes nag1 was on its way out by the time mopar rolled it out for their cars. ford did exactly the same thing with the 6hp26 too

the srt one is built by ZF themselves by the way

Last edited:
Back