FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BIMMA
2GR-FE calls for 5-30.
Mine currently is running on M1 0-20 AFE but the engine is more noisy and not that smooth.

Yes, but there is big difference between ILAS GF-% 5W30 and GC 0W30. GC is almost 0W40 oil.
Just get M1 5W30 EP in local Wal Mart.

From reading the various posts am I correct in understanding that both these oils are the same formulation? I picked up the yellow label for $2.35 qt. and the red label for $5.50 qt. AAP & Carquest. In addition ideas on how well these will work in my 5.3 LS4 motor?

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
From reading the various posts am I correct in understanding that both these oils are the same formulation? I picked up the yellow label for $2.35 qt. and the red label for $5.50 qt. AAP & Carquest. In addition ideas on how well these will work in my 5.3 LS4 motor?

They are not the same exact formulations. The new version (0W-30 in orange box) has titanium in it, the "Formerly Syntec, Edge with SPT" version does not. Otherwise the VOAs are virtually identical.

Scott

I got the skinny today from Wakefield Canada Inc., with respect to the GC, as in 0w-30 A3/B4. They wrote me the following:

Originally Posted By: Wakefield Canada Inc.
Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 is currently an available product in Canada. It is a discontinued product in the United States.

Then they gave me a laundry list of retailers and reminded me to hound a local retailer if I want 0w-30 A3/B4 and they don't carry it, along with a number for the Canadian order desk.

I've been using the Euro 0w-30 (both types) in my 2013 MINI Cooper as it is on their list of recommended oils--now that it's unavailable what's a good alternative? FWIW the car sees much track time. Car ran great on this oil.....
frown.gif

Thanks!
Gary

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gbuff
I've been using the Euro 0w-30 (both types) in my 2013 MINI Cooper as it is on their list of recommended oils--now that it's unavailable what's a good alternative?

Castrol Edge 0w-40. It's basically the same formula, just very slightly higher 100C viscosity.

Thanks Pete--this may be a bit OCD but will the heavier weight affect the car's ability to rev? Again, it's largely a track car and with only 121hp it virtually lives at redline
eek.gif

Thanks Pete--this may be a bit OCD but will the heavier weight affect the car's ability to rev? Again, it's largely a track car and with only 121hp it virtually lives at redline
eek.gif

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But if the "40" number scares you (it really shouldn't), you can try Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 instead. However, this one isn't as easy to find and is not as reasonably priced as Edge 0w-40.

Good to know; I find it odd that the "recommended" oil for the car is the MINI (prolly Castrol) 5w-30 but the Castrol 5w-30 you mention is not on the "alternative" list. I simply don't want to get stuck having to buy the oil at the dealer (though they treat me like a king).

I believe Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30 IS on the alternative list (along with M1 0w-40) but not sure how easily available it is--anyway, the car is broken in with the Euro 0w-30 and I'd like to stay as close as possible to that.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I believe Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30 IS on the alternative list

Just don't confuse it with Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 that's available at many retail locations. This is a low SAPS oil - very different formulation from Castrol 0w-30 and the other oils that I mentioned. It has a much lower add pack to protect modern diesel emissions equipment.

Good to know; I find it odd that the "recommended" oil for the car is the MINI (prolly Castrol) 5w-30 but the Castrol 5w-30 you mention is not on the "alternative" list. I simply don't want to get stuck having to buy the oil at the dealer (though they treat me like a king).

I believe Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30 IS on the alternative list (along with M1 0w-40) but not sure how easily available it is--anyway, the car is broken in with the Euro 0w-30 and I'd like to stay as close as possible to that.

Thanks again.

Stick to 0W40 Castrol. It is light W40 oil. cst of Castrol 0W30 is 12.2, while 0W40 is 13.1. That is really not big difference. Since it lives at redline, maybe bit thicker HTHS is better. 0W40 is 3.7 while 0W30 was 3.58.
As for Pennzoil, it is Euro L. It is low-SAPS oil for diesels.

Looks like that's what it'll be; thanks to all. 25 bucks for 5 qts on Amazon--can't beat that.

Silly question: My car takes 4.5 US qts--are there still level graduations and the window on the side of the container to see how much I'm using?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BIMMA

P.S. Is this good for Lexus 3.5 2GR-FE engine?

Overkill.

With GC the engine runs much quieter and the piston slap is eliminated completely. The fuel consumption stayed the same.

61 pages! I just did an oil change with Castrol Edge 0W40 with the Porsche A40 spec on the back. It said it was made in Germany on the back of the bottle. That's GC, right? I got the good stuff? Is there some talk that Castrol either isn't going to make it anymore or won't sell it in America anymore? I couldn't tell after page 58. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Confused33
61 pages! I just did an oil change with Castrol Edge 0W40 with the Porsche A40 spec on the back. It said it was made in Germany on the back of the bottle. That's GC, right? I got the good stuff? Is there some talk that Castrol either isn't going to make it anymore or won't sell it in America anymore? I couldn't tell after page 58. Thanks!

They pulled out 0W30. 0W40 is only one left. Same stuff (composition) just bit thicker oil.

Last edited:
Hello here,

I suscribed to a youtube channel (Piotr Tester). There is a guy who makes some friction tests with oils.

He tested the Castrol Edge FST 0w40 here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWi4HzCA44I&t=1s

The result of the friction test is 0,15 for the Castrol 0w40 and 0,02 for the Mobil 1 New Life SHC (the old version, not the FS)
So according this test the wear protection of the Mobil 1 0w40 is way better than the Castrol.

What do you think about that ?

I think that yet another unending thread about the useless one-armed bandit "test" is wholly inappropriate for the FAQ - GC.

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
Hello here,

I suscribed to a youtube channel (Piotr Tester). There is a guy who makes some friction tests with oils.

He tested the Castrol Edge FST 0w40 here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWi4HzCA44I&t=1s

The result of the friction test is 0,15 for the Castrol 0w40 and 0,02 for the Mobil 1 New Life SHC (the old version, not the FS)
So according this test the wear protection of the Mobil 1 0w40 is way better than the Castrol.

What do you think about that ?

I came across a bottle of Syntech 0w30 at Pep Boys the other day that had an M09 date stamp. It still stated it was made in Germany, but am I correct in thinking 2009 was past the 'green' days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back