FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
But to be honest this Castrol 0w-30 "SL" wont be used till next year or so. Still cleaning out last years stash.

Just noticed the new GC 5QT jugs at Walmart for the 0W-40 Euro oil:

http://i.imgur.com/Gwtubke.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TnA36W9.jpg

I kinda like the "bigger mouth" but I sure wish they would fix the "window strip" down the side such that it is actually useful. A fine reading of the labels appears that it is exactly the same good oil. Old bottle says "Make in Germany" on the label while new one says "Made in Belgium".

Last edited:
I'm still wondering if Belgian stuff is still PAO, have some doubts for some reason. The price is up, used to pick up the German stuff on Amazon for $22.97, the Belgian stuff is $28.57.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If the data sheets for the 0w-40 are accurate (and we all have reasons to doubt Castrol's sheets at times), then I have little doubt there is significant PAO there.

Is that a good or bad thing then (or application dependent)?

Well, it is what it is. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing is relative, and depending upon one's definitions of good and bad. It's "good" in that I like to see a high end base stock in a lubricant that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It's also "good" that, at least in that example, a synthetic is a technical synthetic. On the other side of the coin, it doesn't matter much as long as the product meets the specifications it claims and has the appropriate approvals; it'll do the job and that's the prime concern.

You can have some high PAO lubes out there that really aren't all that remarkable and that meet very few specifications.

I just bought 6 qts of this kind of GC from Walmart and it'll be shipped to me. Now, I'm trying to find the picture of the back of this but no luck. Is this now Made im Germany or Belgium?

IMG_1741.jpg

P.S. Is this good for Lexus 3.5 2GR-FE engine?

Thanks.

It should say where it is made on the back label near the bottom of the label.

Originally Posted By: BIMMA
Why?

The 2GR-FE engine does not call for high HT/HS oil, so by running a high HT/HS oil (such as this Castrol Edge 0w-30), you are just negatively affecting fuel economy, but you're not gaining anything in return.

So I recently ordered 20 quarts of Castrol 0W-30 from O'Reilly's during their last sale.

Counter guy promised it the next day and two cases (12 quarts total) actually came in.

One case was titanium labeled and the other had the formally Syntec labeling on them. Both boxes and the quarts themselves had about 1/8" of dust on them.

Guy said he checked two other warehouses for the remaining two cases but no dice.

Bought some Castrol 0w-40 with fresh dates instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BIMMA
I don't care for fuel economy. I care for reliability. Anything else?

It is creating more resistance and with that higher engine temperature.
Reliability? Why not then running 10W60 if thicker oil is more "reliable?"

It greatly depends on a variety of factors. All three of my Fords call for ILSAC rated 10W-30 in the regional maintenance supplement, overriding the standard American one calling for 5W-20 for the Expedition and the Grand Marquis. The GMC Envoy explicitly calls for ACEA A3 in the regional maintenance supplement, whereas the American manual calls for ILSAC/GM6094M rated 5W-30.

I'm going to rule my Grand Marquis out, given heavy modifications, but I use ACEA A3/B4 as a baseline. I have a lead foot, with all my engines seeing 3,500+ RPM regularly and consistently on the highway - including the Explorer which has a 5 speed 5R55E. My Envoy, Expedition and Envoy all have locking 4.10 rear ends and the Grand Marquis, a Torsen T-2 3.73. The Pajero has a 4.56 rear axle ratio, and that one in particular sees 4,500 - 5,000 rpm very regularly, sometimes for an extended length of time. This, combined with 130 + F weather in the summer season, I see zero benefits to using ILSAC rated oils and that's my own justification. With the exception of the Grand Marquis and the Envoy, which run Euro V, the rest of my fleet runs on Euro II gasoline with high sulfur levels and that's something else I consider. Personally, when I buy oil, I look for MB-Sheet 229.5 approval over anything else.

Worthy of note, the Lexus ES with the 2GR-FE calls for 5W-40 in this part of the world. Whilst it has nothing to do with reliability, you're not going to hurt anything running a heavier xW-30 or xW-40.

2GR-FE calls for 5-30.
Mine currently is running on M1 0-20 AFE but the engine is more noisy and not that smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back