FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
German Castrol Price thru the roof? I walked into my local AutoZone and noticed GC was priced at $8.19 per quart! Wow I hope they put it on sale soon.

Originally Posted By: zmelli
German Castrol Price thru the roof? I walked into my local AutoZone and noticed GC was priced at $8.19 per quart! Wow I hope they put it on sale soon.

Normal price for a Euro oil at auto parts stores.

Depends on your driving style. GC acts more like a 40 oil. If you drive enough long distances consistently, it should be fine. But if your driving is a lot of stop and go city or short trips, it's not really ideal.

Originally Posted By: BeerLube
Thoughts on GC for this application?

Should be fine. May not be ideal from MPG perspective, but I'm guessing fuel economy isn't your top priority on this vehicle anyway.

OK...I bit...picked up 5 qts of GC 0W-30 at Canadian Tire on sale for $7.47 to try out in my 2.0T next OCI.
It says "Made in Germany", so I think I got the good stuff.

Last edited:
For those that have Pep Boy franchises in their states, it looks like they are closing out their supplies of GC. I found some of the last bottles at my local store at %6.50/qt. and was told the price will go down each week until they go through their stock.

Originally Posted By: dkmura
For those that have Pep Boy franchises in their states, it looks like they are closing out their supplies of GC. I found some of the last bottles at my local store at %6.50/qt. and was told the price will go down each week until they go through their stock.

What do you mean closing out? Who told you this?

An info boys:
1) GC Castrol 0w30 is the same Castrol Edge 0w30 sold in Europe?
I just have found on Ebay on a German vendor this Castrol, but it is named Castrol Edge 0w30, i think that is the same oil discussed here, it's right?

2) In Europe there are 2 version of this oil that i have found:
Castrol Edge 0w30 and Castrol Edge TurboDiesel 0w30, with same specifications but a little different characteristics:

Edge 0W-30/Edge Turbo Diesel 0W-30
V at 40°C (mm^2/s):72/71
V at 100°C (mm^2/s): 12.2/12.3
Vis Index : 167/170Flash point (°C): 212/238
Pour point (°C): -54/-57
Total Base Number (mg KOH/g): 10.3/6.69

What's do you think about?

Originally Posted By: Massimo_A
An info boys:
1) GC Castrol 0w30 is the same Castrol Edge 0w30 sold in Europe?
I just have found on Ebay on a German vendor this Castrol, but it is named Castrol Edge 0w30, i think that is the same oil discussed here, it's right?

2) In Europe there are 2 version of this oil that i have found:
Castrol Edge 0w30 and Castrol Edge TurboDiesel 0w30, with same specifications but a little different characteristics:

Edge 0W-30/Edge Turbo Diesel 0W-30
V at 40°C (mm^2/s):72/71
V at 100°C (mm^2/s): 12.2/12.3
Vis Index : 167/170
Flash point (°C): 212/238
Pour point (°C): -54/-57
Total Base Number (mg KOH/g): 10.3/6.69

What's do you think about?

Salve Massimo.
1) I think that is the same oil discussed here but named in Europe Castrol Edge.

2) Castrol Edge TD respect also Acea C3 spec. So if you do not need of ACEA C3 you can buy normal Castrol Edge 0w30.
Mmm but Flash point (°C): 212 vs 238, would be interesting know an expert opinion about.

Originally Posted By: poppyjoeb
Mobil 1 is the way to go. It is a full PAO ( a true synthetic oil )

Huh. Never knew Mobil made GC (German Castrol) *cough*

Originally Posted By: TJPark01

The store manager in Denver told me this. Apparently, PB is consolidating their brands and versions of oil.

I heard as much several months ago when they were all out. When I inquired with the manager, I was told they would not be getting any more in and that Pep Boys corporate had basically shut them off.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: TJPark01

The store manager in Denver told me this. Apparently, PB is consolidating their brands and versions of oil.

I heard as much several months ago when they were all out. When I inquired with the manager, I was told they would not be getting any more in and that Pep Boys corporate had basically shut them off.

Your questions answered

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...ol_EDGE_FAQ.pdf

Just bought my first 6 quarts of this for my GTI FSI. Was under the impression this stuff is really hard to to find, I was like a little kid when the Autozone guy said they had it.

Friends,

I've been a continuous believer and user of GC for a number of years now in my 1999 Trans Am.

Due to the radiator hose popping off the radiator while running pretty hot in heavy NYC traffic during a heat wave, and the subsequent un-avoidable two mile drive to safety, I severely overheated my engine. So much that four ignition coils went bad from the under-hood temperatures.

The formed barb on the end of the plastic radiator sheared off allowing the hose to slide off the now smooth radiator nipple.

After replacing the radiator with an aftermarket all aluminum unit, replacement coils and a fresh oil change (with GC, of course) the engine runs perfectly, no bearing knock or noise and the oil pressure is where it should be. Not bad for a 194K mile engine that's never been opened!

I attribute my extraordinarily good luck to the high break down temperature of German Castrol.

Now that German Castrol is no more, what oil should I look into?

Thanks everybody!

Originally Posted By: Paul_Bell
Now that German Castrol is no more, what oil should I look into?

Thanks everybody!

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. German Castol is alive and well, not sure where this rumor started.

The faq link two posts above mine-and the fact that the usual carriers of GC in my area, Pep Boys and Auto Zone now have the new Edge oils ONLY. Some Auto Zones still have some stock of GC but it's soon to be gone.

So my question stands....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back