FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
from the FAQ sheet:
9. Why is Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 formula not changing right away?
The 0W-30 is a global European formula. The volume is much higher in other markets than it is in the US and those markets require the specifications of the current formula. Like 5W-40, the packaging on 0W-30 will remain SYNTEC until we receive OEM approvals on the new name.

Not gone, if a retailer chooses not to carry it is one thing, but until that happens don't speculate that it will be gone as in discontinued.

GC is alive and well, now with the new "Edge with SPT" label. I just snapped these photos at my local PepBoys today. Changes to specs compared to prior versions:
- no VW 503.01
- no ILSAC GF-3/GF-2

Other mfg specs like MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502.00/505.00 are still listed.

GC_SPT1.jpg

GC_SPT2.jpg

GC_SPT3.jpg

GC_SPT4.jpg

Originally Posted By: mikered30
How is that a better formula?

Who said it's a better formula?
smile.gif

Looks like they are simply going for "better" marketing so it will command a "better" price.

Thank Pete, appreciate the clarification, and will put to rest the rumor that GC will be discontinued as erroneously posted in the past.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BeerLube
Who said it's a better formula?
smile.gif

Castrol did.
smile.gif
Look at that label on the shelf.

Ahh! My apologies, I missed that, my observation skills are getting sketchy in my old age.

...but on further inspection, I think that particular insert applies to the bottle next to the "new GC", if you take a close look at its partial label, which is clearly a different flavor than the re-labled GC.

Originally Posted By: BeerLube

Ahh! My apologies, I missed that, my observation skills are getting sketchy in my old age.

...but on further inspection, I think that particular insert applies to the bottle next to the "new GC", if you take a close look at its partial label, which is clearly a different flavor than the re-labled GC.

I think you may be right. The company has stated that the "new" formula for syntec will not initially be applied to GC:
Quote:
9. Why is Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 formula not changing right away?
The 0W-30 is a global European formula. The volume is much higher in other markets than it is in the US and those markets require the specifications of the current formula. Like 5W-40, the packaging on 0W-30 will remain SYNTEC until we receive OEM approvals on the new name.

On the domestic CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC, the label clearly states new name better formula. On the GC version, it's says only, "NEW NAME".
DOMESTIC VERSION
500x1014_edge_syntec_large.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TJPark01

On the domestic CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC, the label clearly states new name better formula. On the GC version, it's says only, "NEW NAME".

Castrol should have written "NEW NAME, OLD FORMULA" just to be perfectly clear.
smile.gif

smile.gif

The word "old", will never be used to sell anything. Original formula would be more appropriate, but I think they know who the core audience for this product is about. Considering the choice is really only, GC or M1 Euro. I'll ride this horse till it dies.

smile.gif

The word "old", will never be used to sell anything.

I was kidding.

Their marketing depart is seriously lacking. Considering how small European automakers market share is in the united states, it's no wonder they treat selling GC here as a bit of an after thought.

Considering how small European automakers market share is in the united states, it's no wonder they treat selling GC here as a bit of an after thought.

Same goes for Pennzoil and their Ultra Euro 5w-40. Heck, this one is not even on the shelf.
smile.gif

Just picked up the "NGC" or "New German Castrol" at Autozone in San Antonio.

Cleared their stock! Will be trying this on my dad's Camry!

Originally Posted By: sullytex

You mean old GC with a new name. Not sure why you would waste it in a Camry, but to each his own.

Originally Posted By: sullytex

You mean old GC with a new name. Not sure why you would waste it in a Camry, but to each his own.

Um... OK... In that case I'll use it in a Yugo to flip more people out by "wasting it".
confused2.gif

How is using ANY good oil in ANY good car a waste? Trying to save a retiree from getting shafted at the oil change place (i.e. "oh, change that synthetic oil every 300 miles, old timer!") and get him to a nice long OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back