family trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone into genealogy?

i found a lead last night that carried through to a french dude and dudette born about 1680 in the north of france.

my wife's side has slim pickings, she is from the wrong side of the tracks where no one "really knows" beyond living memory what went on.
blush.gif

in any case i find it quite amazing that i could trace it that far back. jsut a pity that it is only a single line extending from 5 generations up. between my kids and this frenchman there are 11 generations and 320 years
crazy2.gif

i might add that having found that info i am at a stage where i know of 2 of the 1024 people from whom my DNA is randomly combined.

It can be interesting. My sister and I hunted up our great, great grandparents graves this summer. We were surprised to find geraniums on the graves. None of the family we know lives in the area. They had a number of children, but we know nothing of any of them except our great grandfather.

I had my Y-chromosome analysis done by FamilyTree DNA, for free, since there's a surname project for my family, basically confirming family history back to before the Revolutionary War. They also gave me a list and addresses of about a dozen people with whom I share a common ancestor. The Y-chromosome haplotype also lets you know your so-called Deep Ancestry. I also found a surname group for my maternal grandpa, where I also confimred direct ancestors to before 1700 here, and link across the water earlier.
Fun stuff, although the family tree branches wide every generation, so you're really only getting a peek at a very small percentage of your ancestors.

ANCESTORS

If you could see your ancestors all standing in a row, could you be proud of them or not, or don't you even know? Some strange discoveries are made in climbing family trees, and some of them you know, do not particularly please. If you could see your ancestors all standing in a row, there might be some of them, perhaps, you wouldn't care to know. But here's another question which requires a different view; If you could meet your ancestors would they be proud of you?

------Author unknown

been doing genealogy for over 20 years!!!

banana2.gif

On my dad's side I have aunt that's working on the family tree. I don't think she's had much luck. Probably some unsavory characters and name changes will make it impossible.. either side of family isn't the type to just go with the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back