Fukushima continues to haunt us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the tobacco reference. I have smoked for over 10 years, quit several times and am currently not smoking. Personal choice. People choose to smoke. Weak individuals can die from smoking for all I care. Some people just like it more than life. I like it, just not enough to die from.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How is anyone still alive in Japan? If dangerous stuff is reaching us,think about the people only hundreds of miles away.Toyota city should be a ghost town now.

People working in Nuclear power plants get hunreds of times more radiation than anyone in Japan who does not work at Fukishima. Their cancer rates are no higher than the public.

People fear what they choose not to understand.

K
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...lick=sf_globefb

Quote:
Ocean-borne radiation from the 2011 Fukushima nuclear-reactor meltdown in Japan has been detected at the British Columbia shoreline, marking the first time Fukushima contamination has made landfall in North America.

The amounts of radiation detected are low and do not pose a health threat to humans, fish or the environment. But the discovery is part of a pattern that is being closely watched by scientists around the world and has mobilized volunteers helping to track the movement of contaminants on ocean currents.

Previous monitoring by Canadian government agencies had detected air-borne contaminants showing up in B.C. kelp and seawater in the weeks following the nuclear disaster in 2011. And last November, researchers detected radioactivity 150 kilometres offshore of northern California. But no radiation had been found along beaches or shorelines where volunteers had been sampling since 2013.

That has now changed, with the announcement that ocean-borne contamination showed up in a sample collected by a volunteer from a dock in Ucluelet on Feb. 19.

“When I speak to people in public, the primary question they have is about the safety of seafood that comes from the Pacific and from our coastal waters,” Jay Cullen, a chemical oceanographer with the University of Victoria who leads InFORM, a radioactivity monitoring network, said on Monday.

“This project gets directly at those questions by making measurements and quantifying the risk associated with being on or in the water or eating seafood from the Pacific,” he added.

InFORM, founded last year, comprises government, academic and non-governmental organizations and a network of citizen volunteers. Each month, InFORM sends sampling kits to volunteers in about 14 communities along the coast. More than 600 people contacted the network to express interest in being part of the program, Dr. Cullen said.

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, a U.S.-based research partner in InFORM, said on Monday its scientists had detected small amounts of radioactivity in the Ucluelet sample. The sample contained trace amounts of cesium-134 and cesium-137 – two forms of radioactive cesium that do not occur in nature.

Cesium-137 is found in all the world’s oceans as a result of nuclear weapons testing. The substance has a relatively long, 30-year half-life – meaning it takes 30 years for one-half of the cesium-137 in a sample to decay. Cesium-134, however, has a two-year half-life, meaning that if it shows up anywhere in the ocean, it is a recent addition – and the only recent source of Cesium-134 has been Fukushima.

The trace elements were well below internationally established levels of concern for humans and marine life. If someone were to swim for six hours a day every day of the year in water that contained levels of cesium twice as high as the Ucluelet sample, the resulting radiation dose would still be more than 1,000 times less than that of a single dental X-ray, Woods Hole said.

On March 11, 2011, a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami led to meltdowns in three of six reactors at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The disaster sent radioactive material into the air and into the Pacific Ocean. Models predict contaminated seawater will reach Canadian waters, posing potential environmental and public-health concerns on Canada’s West and Arctic coasts, InFORM says.

The impact in Canada is expected to be small, but researchers say they need more information to quantify the risks. Models suggest contamination should peak this year or early next before beginning to taper off, Dr. Cullen said.

InFORM has obtained three years’ of funding – $630,000 – from the Marine Environmental Observation Prediction and Response Network, a research team hosted by Nova Scotia’s Dalhousie University.

Let's go back to the math in the article. Six hours of exposure every day for a year is one thousand times smaller than a dental X-ray.

So, an hour swim is less than one millionth of a dental X-ray.

Or, alternatively, a fish would have to live in that water for 250 years to equal the exposure to one dental X-ray.

Folks, just because we can measure the level, does not make that level a risk.

I can measure the radiation level from a banana (Potassium-40 decay), or a granite countertop (Thorium decay). They're safe, too...

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Meh, they will just have the fda "raise the bar" again and the acceptable limits will behigher and every one will be happy. Global levels are hhigher by an ugly amount in the past 60 years. Appears the biggest radioactive waste land is just up the river from me. Hanford supposedly has more waste than the rest of the world. All for twonukes lol.
Oh well, life goes on until it doesn't.

The FDA and the EPA continue to lower the bar to an unattainable level. Levels so low that activities like eating bananas, watching TV, using CFL bulbs, or stepping outside, are more risky.

They thrive, they get funded, by showing you how they need more money to "save" you from all the risks that they have defined.

And each success begets another lowering of thresholds, to continue to force their agenda and funding. Our air and water are far cleaner than when I was a kid, but that's not good enough.

Astro..there you go again....spreading correct information. We'll have none of that.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Dyusik..very correct. Radioactive emissions from Fukushima are ongoing and unprecedented in severity. The situation has been out of control since days after the tsunami and subsequent explosions knocked out the power (and cooling systems)in 2011...we just stopped hearing about it. Radioactive material in the environment doesn't "go away"...much of it will be with us for a very long time (thousands or millions of years depending...). Long story short look for increased illness and cancer rates for those exposed. Thank goodness we have Dancing With The Stars and the latest smart phone device to distract us from what's really going on in the world...

Ah....NOT "very correct" in the slightest.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
We should be more worried/concerned about all the plastic in the oceans especially the Pacific that is primarily coming from Asia ie; China.
I am worried about the disease and parasite illegal aliens sucking the life out of the taxpayers.

There's a lot of information available regarding the ongoing disaster at Fukushima...and its current and future consequences. I'd recommend particular attention to the badly damaged spent fuel rod cooling tanks which are suspended in the air at the site. Investigate the facts...you may not like what you find.

There's a lot of information available regarding the ongoing disaster at Fukushima...and its current and future consequences. I'd recommend particular attention to the badly damaged spent fuel rod cooling tanks which are suspended in the air at the site. Investigate the facts...you may not like what you find.

go on...

I would suggest you read reliable information such as: https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/fukushima/

Al, weren't you in the nuke power generation field? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Al, weren't you in the nuke power generation field? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I was. I worked at TMI for most of my career..lol.So I feel somewhat qualified to comment on the subject.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back