Fairlife milk prices

Maine has legal minimum milk prices ensuring the farmer, middleman, and retailer each get a price floor. $4.11/ gal as of last month retail for whole. NH has it for $2.59, and per the plant code, it's Oakhurst's Maine milk. Something's up when a gallon of milk is cheaper than gasoline.

I’ve got a toddler who drinks whole milk so I buy a decent amount of milk. I buy store brand milk at Lidl. $3.25 gal or $1.75 1/2 gal. These days I pretty much buy only store branded products. Name brand prices have gone up too much. The quality of store brand items are just as good in my experience.

In the 90's my wife and I operated our own dairy farm for 5 years. Don't ever complain about the price of milk until you do that.

Here to rant, been a big fan of their milk...only lactose-free milk that tastes like milk. That being said, since the pandemic, their prices went up quite a bit, I was hoping they would settle down.

We stopped buying Fairlife a couple years ago, and now that I'm seeing commercials for their milk, it's a safe bet their $12/gal price will likely not return to a sane level.

Their containers aren't even a 1/2 gal, but for the consumers, always look at the price per quarter and do the math.
Fairlife milk costs more because of the added esters and PAO.

Can you substitute another product like juice or lemonade? Or the powdered version? I haven't consumed milk since it was the only thing offered with school lunch and the only way I buy it today is maybe once a year in a powder for use in cooking.

That term is so often misused....and not applicable.
It's a term we've been taught to say.
I beg your pardon but you are wrong. While a free-market is traditionally defined as a system whereby supply and demand determines the price of goods and services, choosing to decreasing demand by choosing to not buy a product that is too high in price, is at its most fundamental level a system whereby consumers impose influence on a market, and voting with your wallet is a natural and obvious extension of this idea. Here, you are suggesting that consumers not buy a particular milk product, because it is more expensive than similar milk products, with the hope that these choices will either decrease demand sufficiently to impose some burden on Fairlife and bring their pricing back to the equilibrium price for similar milk products or simply spare the consumer the exorbitant cost. Voting with your wallet is one of many practical applications of free-market economics. :p

If you're going to be confrontational - at least be right...

Last edited:
Maine has legal minimum milk prices ensuring the farmer, middleman, and retailer each get a price floor. $4.11/ gal as of last month retail for whole. NH has it for $2.59, and per the plant code, it's Oakhurst's Maine milk. Something's up when a gallon of milk is cheaper than gasoline.
Googling now, I was able to find posts that while DE had 1 gal milk in the $2’s, MD had 1 gal in the $1’s. Insane imho. I do have my cooler with me when I go to DE. The odds of being stopped by the state police over a gallon of milk is so unlikely…. 😆

How much is Fairlife in your neck of the woods?
My opening post....$12/ gal, about $4.50 per 50oz container
It's $4.48 here. Gotta love rants over milk...
Human.

About the same price here. Next time you are at the store, look at the label. That $4.48 is for less than 1/2 gal...(50oz)..and it likely states the price per qt...locally it's $3 per quart, which is $12 per gallon.

Life isn't always Fair

Screenshot_20240602_121514_Google.jpg

:cool:

Fairlife is expensive compared to regular milk. But if compared to all the alternatives to real cow's milk, such as almond and oat drinks, it seems reasonably priced.

My wife and I have got a thing for the Fairlife chocolate milk. There is always two or three cartons in the refrigerator. It is one of the treats that we give ourselves. If I had a lactose intolerance, Fairlife would be my choice way ahead of the milk substitutes.

Every time I see someone post pictures of being able to get milk directly from a dairy, it makes me so jealous. When I was in my youth, my family got milk from a local dairy, in glass half gallon bottles, very similar to this.

When we got home, my mother would pour off a good share of the cream, and save it for whatever she was cooking. Sometimes I would beat her to it, and I would shake up the bottle and get a drink of the whole milk before my mother got to it. I loved that milk.

This isn’t delivered to me. I walk 1.4 mile to Karns foods right near mom and stepdad and buy and put in thermal bag with ice packs and walk back so I like it. Fresh delivered daily too to Karns and other grocers.

been drinking REAL-RAW full fat in GLASS for years!! dead milk as modern dairy is not healthy + manufacturers love selling lower fat that raises blood sugar faster!! check out Weston Price Foundation for the real truth on DEAD milk!!! my local paper recently ran an article about raw milk saying it was not safe where in reality modern milk is very toxic + with the high heat used in processing would sicken most everyone!!

From the barn to the kitchen uncut never never touched from milking pan to jar. Milk coming in at 5%min this is as raw and good as it gets. People complain about the price dont complain about it get a cow or a goat in this case than tell me how much your saving.
20240602_114501.jpg

From the barn to the kitchen uncut never never touched from milking pan to jar. Milk coming in at 5%min this is as raw and good as it gets. People complain about the price dont complain about it get a cow or a goat in this case than tell me how much your saving.
View attachment 222752

Grew
Up on farm. We drank raw, unpasteurized milk too. Brother and I and grandparents all turned out OK.

To me the equivalents are not equivalent.

Sure, I can get Aldi lactose free milk.

Aldi Friendly Far 2% Lactose Free - Protein 8g / Carbs 12g / Fat 5g - 120 calories
Fairlife 2% - Protein 13g / Carbs 6g / Fat 4.5g - 120 calories

As one who grew up on milk and with the need to watch my carb intake due to T2D, this is a good substitute.

The protein to Fat and Carbs is favorable for me.

Yes, the bottle I bought today was $4.48

I don't care. It lets me have a cup of milk and not suffer from it.

Just MHO....there is no milk that justifies $12 per gallon, not even $9.
I understand those that don't want to spend that much for milk. But I guess I look at it a little differently. Just a few yards further down in the cooler at the local market is orange juice, and it currently costs about the same price for a 52 oz. bottle of quality orange juice, such as Simply Orange, Florida Natural or Tropicana.

While I admittedly prefer to buy orange juice while it is on sale, to keep it in the fridge, I do pay the regular price for oj. So why not for premium milk?

I understand those that don't want to spend that much for milk. But I guess I look at it a little differently. Just a few yards further down in the cooler at the local market is orange juice, and it currently costs about the same price for a 52 oz. bottle of quality orange juice, such as Simply Orange, Florida Natural or Tropicana.

While I admittedly prefer to buy orange juice while it is on sale, to keep it in the fridge, I do pay the regular price for oj. So why not for premium milk?
I guess we consider these things as commodities. Butter, milk, orange juice…we normally buy the store brand not from concentrate oj at full price (usually same or cheaper than name brand on sale). The 52 Oz is annoying in concept. Maybe one day a gallon of milk and gasoline will be 104 fL Oz as well.

Also to be fair whole milk $2.xx/gal and center cut pork chops $1.99/lb defies logic, almost seems too low of a price to even produce…

Back