Factory oil filter production in Asia

Interesting! Looks like they are good quality filters but other than this video have no idea where they market them, outside of Asia, if at all in the U.S./Canada.

Fun. It made me recall visiting Fram in Stratford Ontario when they wanted our company to quote to supply them with the tapped end caps. We didn't win the business because they were having us compete with companies that were willing to do this work for almost nothing. Fram owned the tooling but expected us to run it at high rates & repair as needed without charging for the work. BIG NO from me when I worked in Sales & Project Management.

This is what America needs to be doing.

Not gonna happen.

heres-your-daily-genz-lazy-meme-v0-9i4hqo1mijjb1.jpg

Looks almost exactly like the OEM Hyundai/Kia filters, right down to the part number, but I noticed a couple of differences. The ADBV in the video is black whereas the OEM is orange. The baseplate on OEM filters has a "W" stamped on them while these don't. Also noticed the date code is printed in blue in the video, but that seems to vary anyway. My Tucson's factory filter had red printing and some recentish posts have shown them to be black.

I bet it's the same factory as the OEM filters, except they where doing a batch of filters for their own "Bigstar" brand, hence the little changes.

Also, I like how they showed a cartridge filter being changed at the end when the entire video was about the production of spin on filters!

It is, and has been since 1939 in Gastonia, N.C. Wix has 11 plants globally.
I've spent time as a vendor in both the Wix plant in Gastonia and the Purolator filter plant in Fayetteville. Running a 300 ton press stamping out endcaps all day is tough, you do not want to show up hung over, or you could work the paint line and sniff fumes. Before they were both consumed by Mann+Hummel, each location told me certain sku's are sourced from other vendors. In other words, they do not make all their branded products.

Most of those jobs could be easily replaced by computer controlled equipment. AI will only hasten that transition.

Video from South Korea, seems to be quality product and good quality video.

Good Morning Jimmy_Russels,
A superb video, thank you for sharing it. The process engineering is this plant is excellent. A good blend of automation partnered with people for the tasks requiring greater dexterity. The laser checks for the presence of components is excellent. I'm not familiar with the Big Star brand but would consider them after watching this.
The only thing I didn't see was how the filter element was attached to the end caps. Were they glued?

Thanks again!

Good Morning Jimmy_Russels,
A superb video, thank you for sharing it. The process engineering is this plant is excellent. A good blend of automation partnered with people for the tasks requiring greater dexterity. The laser checks for the presence of components is excellent. I'm not familiar with the Big Star brand but would consider them after watching this.
The only thing I didn't see was how the filter element was attached to the end caps. Were they glued?

Thanks again!

Yes there is white glue in the end caps when they assemble them. A little hard to see.

Back