F150 honest review

I tend to agree. Two weeks ago, I drove from Cincinnati to Brevard, NC in my ‘19 SC 3.5 with the bed & rear seat completely full of luggage & pulling a 24’, ~9500lb trailer averaging roughly 58 mph (slow companions), and the truck averaged 14.6 mpg. Pulling up & down the mountains was flawless, if a bit harrowing seeing tow mode kick the engine up to about 4K on downhill slopes to maintain speed.

Unloaded & with an E30 tune from 5 Star Tuning, my truck in the same physical configuration ran a ~10.65 second 0-100 sprint which can be found on this site.

Try to duplicate that with any other manufacturer’s half-ton with only a cold-air intake & tune!!
At least my half-ton sounds good. :)

'Needless to say I'll never deal with that dealer again'

Why? You bought "as is" and didn't check it out before you drove off with it. 157,000 miles. Used. "As Is".

That's all on you. The dealer made no promises and you didn't perform due diligence.

Great it worked out for you though. A good lesson. It could have been much much worse, salvage or flood car.

I hated GM for years until I actually experienced one. My Father's Oldsmobile : 84 Ciera. I've had them since 92.

30 odd years later.... I'm back to hating GM again.

Opinions change.

Most guys are very biased when it comes to trucks.
I have 3 of the things, not because I love Ford, but because I find the seats very comfortable for me. For what ever reason, the previous gen GM truck fell far short in that department. I would have preferred a Chevy V8, but just could not get comfortable.

However, all three of my Ford trucks have been superb. I work 'em hard, that's for sure.

My son bought a 2013 F150 brand new.
It has had more problems then I can list here.
He still has it and besides all the problems it's a nice truck.
But 2 years ago he bought a 2018 Mustang GT as a toy.
Go figure.
My fiance's son bought a 2014 F150 with the 5.0L brand new and didn't have any problems with the truck until 190,000 miles when it needed new timing components. He bought an aftermarket timing kit off of Amazon and had a local garage install it. That lasted about 5,000 miles before it had major issues. I told him to go back with all OEM Motorcraft parts and he is now at about 235,000 miles and the truck is going strong.

She has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0L that she bought new and has already had to replace the AC compressor at 32,000 miles because the clutch came apart during a trip. Unfortunately, no warranty so that was an out of pocket repair. Her whole family are die hard Ford fans and won't buy anything else and most of their vehicles have been far from problem free. It's just hit or miss if you are going to get a good one or not.

My Mustang has had little BS problems but nothing major so far but it only has 34,000 miles on it.

My fiance's son bought a 2014 F150 with the 5.0L brand new and didn't have any problems with the truck until 190,000 miles when it needed new timing components. He bought an aftermarket timing kit off of Amazon and had a local garage install it. That lasted about 5,000 miles before it had major issues. I told him to go back with all OEM Motorcraft parts and he is now at about 235,000 miles and the truck is going strong.

She has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0L that she bought new and has already had to replace the AC compressor at 32,000 miles because the clutch came apart during a trip. Unfortunately, no warranty so that was an out of pocket repair. Her whole family are die hard Ford fans and won't buy anything else and most of their vehicles have been far from problem free. It's just hit or miss if you are going to get a good one or not.

My Mustang has had little BS problems but nothing major so far but it only has 34,000 miles on it.
they had a run of bad compressors in those years. like you said, luck of the draw.

fords enginering is so bad now -they take the cheap and easy way out everytime . i used to be die hard ford man had over 30 of them in my lifetime. not now. i drive toyota and chevy trucks

fords engineering is so bad now -they take the cheap and easy way out every time . i used to be die hard ford man had over 30 of them in my lifetime. not now. i drive Toyota and Chevy trucks
And yet our newest F150 has been 100% troublefree, is very comfortable, achieves excellent MPG and it's a pleasure to drive. The 4x4 is superb, with various modes to ensure all wheels turn. Not only that but the darn things are stupidly comfortable and quiet. Great for 1300 mile highway trips.

I've been purchasing F150's because they are comfortable. Come to find out, they are still excellent.

And yet our newest F150 has been 100% troublefree, is very comfortable, achieves excellent MPG and it's a pleasure to drive. The 4x4 is superb, with various modes to ensure all wheels turn. Not only that but the darn things are stupidly comfortable and quiet. Great for 1300 mile highway trips.

I've been purchasing F150's because they are comfortable. Come to find out, they are still excellent.
I share your sentiment. I do agree that Ford has slipped a bit in quality, but for the most part their trucks seem to be solid. Which, thank goodness because it's their bread and butter and keeps the lights on.

My brother is a project manager for a major asphalt and road work company and they use nothing but Ford pickups and have had no problems.

ford's are really nice trucks. however their drivetrains are somewhat badly made, designed for cheapness and power but not necessarily reliability. one of my relatives got an Ecoboost f150, used it to tow a 10,000lb trailer and melted the turbos. smaller, more powerful engines are generally less reliable than lower powered larger engines. there's still old 350 chevys chugging along from the early 90s with no rebuilds and high miles. i doubt the new 2.7 turbo chevys will still be around in 20 years

ford's are really nice trucks. however their drivetrains are somewhat badly made, designed for cheapness and power but not necessarily reliability. one of my relatives got an Ecoboost f150, used it to tow a 10,000lb trailer and melted the turbos. smaller, more powerful engines are generally less reliable than lower powered larger engines. there's still old 350 chevys chugging along from the early 90s with no rebuilds and high miles. i doubt the new 2.7 turbo chevys will still be around in 20 years

Clearly, that's not always the case. Today's half ton V8's are smaller displacement than in the past (Ford's revvy 5.0L V8 is about 300 cubic inches) (GM's 5.3 is about 323cu in) and tend to run at very high RPM when towing a large load up a grade. The turbocharged engines do not. As far as "burning up" turbochargers, that's rather unlikely. Ford manages those engines to never exceed about 1600 degrees, well below the never exceed turbine inlet temperatures of about 1750 deg. It is more likely the failed turbochargers coked up due to the use of poor quality oil and infrequent oil changes.

I would MUCH RATHER tow with a 3.5EB than any small V8. Maybe the Godzilla 7.3L 445cu in, is the "big block" would be pleasant to tow with, if installed in a half ton.

Note: I have 3 F150's, 5.4L, 3.5L EB and 2.7 EB. The V8 is the most pleasant on long "non towing" trips. The 3.5 is the most powerful, the 2.7 is next and the 5.4 is weakest. The 2.7 tows wonderfully and gets 21mpg.

I do a lot of driving and prefer the V8 due to it's pleasant nature. But if towing, I'll take either EB, anytime.

tell me how much you still like your new f150 20 years from now. my trucks are 20 and 24 yrs old and i still drive both daily. the toyota has never missed a single day of work!

Why would you need a new tranny just because you can move the output shaft up and down?

I'm assuming the mechanic found the driveshaft slip yoke had excessive movement while installed in the transmission.
If that's the case it's about a $20 fix to change the tail-shaft bushing.

Or $150 to make sure it doesn't happen ever again:

I've been running ^ that tail-shaft bushing mod in my 2001 F150 since about 2010 after I also found my original tail-shaft bushing slightly worn with about 200K on it.

tell me how much you still like your new f150 20 years from now. my trucks are 20 and 24 yrs old and i still drive both daily. the toyota has never missed a single day of work!

My 2001 F150 has 400K on it and it is my primary daily.
I would drive it cross country tomorrow without concern.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back