F150 4.2 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did the rod knock and valve train rattle noises return when i changed oil and filter brands?
was- motorcraft 10/30 and WIX
is- havoline 10/30 and FL400s
Joe

Either or both the pressure drop on the Motorcraft-type filter, and the 10w.

Oil spec on that engine is 5w, although a 10w should work in San Antonio. Motorcraft filters show some evidence of flow impedance. Try a Wix or a K&N.

I get noises on start-up sometimes, sometimes not. Also sometimes in town or on the highway. The motor runs real good and has 70,000 miles on it. Uses 1 qt every 4000 miles. I'll get a WIX filter tonight.
Thanks, Joe

BlueOvalFitter - Do you use FL400s or FL1a? Even when the oil checked full(6 qts) on the dip stick, I only filled a 5 qt jug with the used oil.
Thanks, Joe

Joe,do you have an oil cooler on your engine?If so thats why you are only getting 5 quarts of oil when draining.And,I did not know the FL-1A fit the 4.2!I use the FL-400S....Its the improved version of the FL-400A.If no oil cooler,then I have no idea where your oil is going!

Thats wierd, every new F-150 that comes into work, whether it be the 4.2, 4.6, or 5.4 holds 6.75 quarts of oil. That a @#$#@ load of oil for those engines.
cool.gif

Hi,My '99 E150 van with 4.2L takes 6&1/4 qts to hit the mid stick. I run it at the mid stick since it came new from the dealer like that.Maybe it's better to fill it the extra 1/2 qt. The only rattle came at startup with M1 5w/30. No noise
cool.gif
running D1 5w/40 and Wix filter.

Welcome to the fun world of oil dipsticks in these motors. There doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to the variability.

The 4.2, the 4.6 and the 5.4 are all supposed to have a capacity of 6 quarts. It seems to take anywhere from 5 1/2 qts to 7 qts to set it on the full mark.

I gave a guy a lesson at the quick lube place when he said my 97 F150 "needed" at least 6.5 quarts. I said go ahead, but we'll check it after its been parked a half hour while I go shopping next door. It has always taken exactly 6 since new. Came back out and the oil was well over the full mark. He was not a happy camper.

However, my '99 needs 6.5 quarts to come to the full mark. Go figure...

I've been thinking about trying the FL-1a. What is the worst thing that can happen? I have not installed an aftermarket oil cooler. The tranny has a cooler inside the radiator and the power steering has a small one in front of the rad.
Joe

I've got a 2001 F150 with the 4.2L V6. Takes about 6.5 to fill mine to the top of ths stick, and checking it hot proves to be about right. I've tried the FL1A on it and there isn't enough clearance from it to the harmonic balancer. If I squeezed it in it might fit, but I didn't want to take the chance and have the oil filter give out.

Does yours make a tick when idling in gear? Is this the noise you're talking about?

Mine does and I mistook it for a lifter, which according to Ford is actually the drive belt making all that noise. They started a new truck to prove it to me (I'm not 100% convinced yet). New truck had the same noise. Mine had it from new, but has gotten a little louder in 67K miles. But it runs awesome, especially in the cooler weather!

crashz - Yes, mine always tick's when i creep up the drive way, or when cork-screwing up the ramp in a parking garage. Thanks for the FL1a info.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back