F-150 buying advice.

My father has been in the market for a new (used) truck for a few months now. He has insisted the help of my brothers and I to be on the lookout for one that may suit his needs. His list of requirements is short. Full sized with a V8.

The truck he is replacing is a 2002 Silverado 1500 with around 215,000 miles.

He found a 2014 F150 5.0 4 door with 100,000 miles. Super clean inside and out. I don’t know the trim but it’s a base model of some sort.

He had me test drive it and it drove great except for a slight driveline clunk when getting on/off the gas. Every f150 from this era that I have driven has done this. Not sure if it’s cause for alarm or not.

Anyway, I encouraged him to find a newer, lower mileage option but he seems happy with this one.

The price…$19K. Seems like a decent price. He knows the seller, an owner of a shop who also sells some vehicles on the side. The only history I know of is it’s a one owner vehicle and it has a tow hitch.

No pics at this time, sorry. I’ll find a google image if requested.

The point of this post is to get some input on these model F150’s. I’m not THAT familiar Siri them. I can see Car Complaints has little to say in the way of negative reviews/problems. Just want to make sure he ends up in a solid ride for the next 10 years (+/-). He drove his last truck into the ground, but he got that one with only 30k miles. 100k is a different sorry, at least in my eyes, even though this example is super clean.

What say you all? Bite for $19K or keep looking for lower mileage / newer option?

It looks just like this. Same color and all.

F8B76B4C-E300-4C2D-9062-18C746484B30.jpeg

He had me test drive it and it drove great except for a slight driveline clunk when getting on/off the gas. Every f150 from this era that I have driven has done this. Not sure if it’s cause for alarm or not.
Not really. It likely has a 2 piece driveshaft and the splines in the middle need cleaned off and lubed with Ford's special teflon lube. For whatever reason, Ford hasn't figured out how to do a 2 piece driveshaft that works properly without clunking as its been happening for ages now.

Not really. It likely has a 2 piece driveshaft and the splines in the middle need cleaned off and lubed with Ford's special teflon lube. For whatever reason, Ford hasn't figured out how to do a 2 piece driveshaft that works properly without clunking as its been happening for ages now.

GM too. My 2018 Silverado comes standard with driveline clunks.....

a 2014 is going to be a 5.0.

In the current market 19 for a 2014 f150 is a good deal, but how good depends on the Trim. Not much to go on in the OP.

The truck greg pictured is appears to be an XLT which is a mid trim.

A ton of STX were sold which is an XL with some amenities.

Lot of fleet XL's too, but if it dent have steel wheels it probably isn't that.

a 2014 is going to be a 5.0.

In the current market 19 for a 2014 f150 is a good deal, but how good depends on the Trim. Not much to go on in the OP.

The truck greg pictured is appears to be an XLT which is a mid trim.

A ton of STX were sold which is an XL with some amenities.

Lot of fleet XL's too, but if it dent have steel wheels it probably isn't that.
I believe he said it was an XLT.

if it is a clean XLT with a 5.0 at that price he better buy it fast if he wants it. Thats pre-covid pricing especially with only 100000.

And don't post a link because I will buy it if someone doesn't beat me to it.
It is quite clean. Even the front end has minimal rock chips. Certainly not factory but much better than I’d expect at 100K overall.

I had a 2014 F150, 5.0l, FX4 w/luxury package…loved it, liked the sound of the V8 vs the eco boast. Gas mileage sucked. I drive about 20K miles per year so after I finished the lower level of my house I sold it to my son. He still has it, about 80K miles on it…no issues.

I’ve had a 2013 F-150 Screw with the 5.0 for 5.5 years and 125k (bought with 29,xxx) and so far it has been a fantastic vehicle. The 5.0 is smooth and has plenty of get up and go for towing or general driving. I’ve towed with it a decent amount including my Mustang and it’s handled it quite well, the 6R80 really works great in tow/haul mode. No rust issues to speak of.
The only issue that I’ve had is the blend door actuator, the factory one went out at 5 yrs, and I replaced it twice with Dorman’s that went out like clockwork a year apart. Last time I replaced it with a Ford/Motorcraft actuator and have just over a year on it so fingers crossed.

Keep the plugs, fluids, and filters changed and it should be a solid truck!

Pic of mine from a few days ago
9FC77D6E-22D7-42D9-8A67-99F58BE11872.jpeg

Just wait a few months. When gas hit's a national average of $4, people will just about be giving these full size V8 trucks away.
2012 is currently the record holder for highest average fuel prices for the year at $3.62 a gallon, and pick up truck sales still improved vs previous years.

2012 is currently the record holder for highest average fuel prices for the year at $3.62 a gallon, and pick up truck sales still improved vs previous years.
Not a major truck buyer but bought a nice 10 year old Durango in 2012 for $400. Dealers were dumping big trucks and SUVs right and left and loosing thousands on each one. Had to wait over a year to sell before I could make anything on it.

I have a 2013 F150 XTR Ecoboost that I bought new. The 5.0 liter is what I would buy if looking for a used one without service history. Mine is a 4X4 and it does not have any type of driveline clunk that could be a motor mount?

These trucks seem to rust on the rockers and cab corners. Take a look at the tape seals (factory) on the inside of the rocker panels, once the tape comes off they collect dirt inside the rockers and start to rust. I spray the inside of mine with fluid film and use extra wide black gorilla tape to re-seal them. That seems to work so far.

Other then that they seem to be solid trucks.

Back