Trade 2003 F-150 for 2007 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I'm giving thought to trading in my signature vehicle for a newer truck. My F-150 has the 4.2 V-6/5 speed manual, 2WD driveline. It is a base model, XL trim, short box with 3.55 gears. It is in excellent condition with 76,000 miles and consistently gives me 19.3-20.5 mpg. The truck I am considering is a 2007 Silverado 1500 work truck. It has the 4.3 V-6/automatic 4 speed, 2WD, regular cab. Looks to be a very nice truck with 66,000 miles. I'm tired of shifting gears and would like an 8' box. I have no interest in a 4WD, super/quad cab truck. A 2 wheel drive suits me fine. My major concern is the reliability of the 4L60E transmission in this truck. I understand they have some issue's and an above average failure rate. What do you know about this. Please, lets not turn this into a Ford/Chevy debate. They are both good trucks. Incidentally, my F-150 has been an excellent truck with good fuel economy and low cost of ownership.

Good truck and excellent engine (I've had a 1996 and my current 2004 with the 4.3l) and I'd just do a pan drop, replace the filter and then replace the rest of the ATF and you'll be good to go.

Having a normal 8 ft bed is a NICE thing. My 1996 did and when I bought my 2000 it had the 6.5. Once I bought my 2004 with the 8ft I did not notice how much I missed having the larger bed.

Good luck and take care with the new ride!

Bill

4L60Es had an issue with the sun shell cracking. I have heard that it could be more of an issue on transmissions that were shifted while the vehicle was still moving in the other direction, but it can also happen on transmissions that have been cared for.

This doesn't happen on all 4L60Es though and many last a long time if they are maintained. GM may have beefed up the sun shell by 2007. I know the aftermarket has produced upgraded ones for years.

4L60's are junk IMO. Look into getting another Ford. The new V6's that come standard deliver excellent power and fuel economy. Also the 4.3 Chevy V6 might be the biggest turd ever.

The 4.2/manual combination is an excellent one.I know of a guy who leased one new for 2 years,it was a SuperCab/longbed version (yes,weird combo).Never gave a day of trouble and always returned 18-20 mpg.The guy should have bought it outright after 2 years,but bought a Tacoma lemon instead.He had to unload that after less than 2 years,and many trips to the dealer for repairs and recalls.

The late 4L60E (07 is actually a 4L65E, IIRC) is fine...but be aware you will probably take a mileage hit going from a 4.2/5-speed to a 4.3/slushpump. What axle gears does it have?

Also, the GM interiors (especially the stripped W/T) is terrible...it looks like it was built by Playskool, with Revell Snaptite dashboard.

And make sure it has air conditioning!

Hard to find parts? I am pretty sure the 4.3 Chevy V6 is the classic 350 less two cylinders. Can anyone confirm? I have NEVER had a part issue with my '97 Chevy with the 4.3.

It performs just fine, too. I cruise at 75+ constantly with zero problems. Runs perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Also, the GM interiors (especially the stripped W/T) is terrible...it looks like it was built by Playskool, with Revell Snaptite dashboard.

OMG, I'm LOL'ing here!
grin.gif

I had a 2005 GMC with the 4.3L, regular cab, long bed, 4x4 and it as a decent truck. I think the problems with the 4L60E were solved by 2007 and it's not like you are putting a lot of torque through it. Get a tranny pan with a drain plug and change the fluid and filter. I had a mag-hytek and loved it. You can also install a tranny cooler if you want, but it may not be needed. Nice thing about the pan with a drain plug is you can do a drain and refill every so often.

True, but at least they have improved from 88-94! Those years were the height of nonsense GM dashboard design. Part of the radio in one spot, tape player/equalizer in another spot, and those cheap little buttons for everything. I think they mostly got it right with 99-06 except for when they start chipping the paint off. The dual dashboards offered now don't make a lot of sense to me...more manufacturing complexity without much apparent benefit. I actually think the base dashboard looks better than the "luxury" dashboard though.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

OMG, I'm LOL'ing here!
grin.gif

I had the same response while reading it for the first time.

I have the same truck but an 05, and I have a lot of experience with this model ranging from 99-11 model years.

Basically its a bullet proof truck. Its not fast, but it has a lot of torque and is very simple. Plus if anything breaks its like $20 to fix.

I never really heard of or have had any transmission issues. Just change the fluid once in awhile and don't beat on it. I wouldn't recommend towing without a good trans cooler.

The late 4L60E (07 is actually a 4L65E, IIRC) is fine...but be aware you will probably take a mileage hit going from a 4.2/5-speed to a 4.3/slushpump. What axle gears does it have?

Its a cheap work truck, new they are like $18k what do you expect? Dependability and carrying capacity are more important.

If you want a truck with a good interior get a G550 or a Range Rover. But you can't get those for $18k new either.

Really coming from a late 90's Jeep owner you really shouldn't be saying much about an 07 Silverado's interior. Chrysler was far from its peak in 99. Last Jeep I looked at of that vintage was owned by an old GF of mine. She complained about an oil leak so I went underneath to try to locate it for her. It was like a rain forest of oil...I'm used to British cars so I expect some oil leaks, but I have never seen a motor weep oil from every single seal that it has. It would have done an old MG or Jag proud!

Last edited:
The G550 interior is pretty horrendous except for the materials used. The basketball hoop cup holder belongs in a Hyundai Excel (first gen). The actual design makes the 88-94 GM trucks look good!

I do agree though that on a work truck, the interior isn't really the first concern. Some manufacturers just seem to go out of their way to make it bad.

Meh its still as nice as it gets besides a Range Rover, which is a POS but still nice.

Last edited:
Truth be told, I'd prefer a G550 interior to the Range Rover, and it's fitting for the vehicle it's in. A well built retrofit to an old military truck is better than a typical gaudy modern Range Rover interior. The 1996 and older Range Rover interiors were better IMO.

The most important thing about a truck interior is that it functions well and doesn't fall apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Its a cheap work truck, new they are like $18k what do you expect? Dependability and carrying capacity are more important.

If you want a truck with a good interior get a G550 or a Range Rover. But you can't get those for $18k new either.

Really coming from a late 90's Jeep owner you really shouldn't be saying much about an 07 Silverado's interior. Chrysler was far from its peak in 99. Last Jeep I looked at of that vintage was owned by an old GF of mine. She complained about an oil leak so I went underneath to try to locate it for her. It was like a rain forest of oil...I'm used to British cars so I expect some oil leaks, but I have never seen a motor weep oil from every single seal that it has. It would have done an old MG or Jag proud!

My Cherokee was tight and rattle-free with over 180,000 miles...it now has a few squeaks after the dash came apart for a heater core. The last Silverado I drove squeaked & rattled over every bump with about one tenth the miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back