F-14 Questions Answered - Ask Away

Hi Astro14
As you would expect the Duke of Westminster and i mixed in different circles :) . I had a look and he was worth £9.35 Billion on his death. He could have had his own carrier.

That is great that you have visited Duxford. The American air museum is a fitting tribute to those that served and above all those that did not return.

It has been a while since i was last there. I used to attend the 'Flying Legends' weekend religiously.

Very fitting you mention the BF-109 and Spitfire as today is Battle of Britain day. 15/9/1940.

For those not aware if this.
Nine American citizens fought in the Battle of Britain. If you ever find yourself in London there is a memorial in St Paul's Cathedral dedicated to a Pilot Officer William Fiske. It reads ' An American Citizen who died that England might live'.

My old squadron - and I loved the "high visibility" paint scheme! The Navy rules at the time were all "low-vis" paint. When I got to the squadron in 1989, we still had two that had been delivered in gloss from the Grumman factory, so we kept them that way... Those couple of jets in gloss were colloquially referred to as "Batmobiles" by our crews and maintainers... We ALL loved that look.

But, for tactical reasons, we re-painted them to an all grey/low-vis for Desert Storm and never painted them back....we couldn't...no gloss paint allowed.

Ah well...
Going through my closet, I found a couple of shirts I bought at Oceana at the last tomcat flight in 2006. I like how the Tomcat character always has 2 tails, as does the jet.
IMG_20200917_171244365.jpg
IMG_20200917_171326516.jpg
IMG_20200917_171502222.jpg
IMG_20200917_171513065.jpg

Hi
I have seen many Military Jets at the many air shows i have attended. Never did get to see the Tomcat though. A real shame as it is one heck of an Aircraft. I am not sure if one ever displayed in UK.

I used to go shooting to a place near York. The A-10 guys used to train up there. They were great to watch. I never knew for sure but i suspect they used two very large grain silos to 'run in' on.

On the subject of airshows, do Military pilots enjoy doing the display circuit? Are 'naughty' pilots given this job as a penance :) ?

On the subject of airshows, do Military pilots enjoy doing the display circuit? Are 'naughty' pilots given this job as a penance :) ?
Naughty pilots? As punishment they have to fly the plane in an air show.

My Father was an Electrical engineer with Grumman Aerospace in the 60’s and the 70’s out of Bethpage Long Island and Calverton Long Island. He worked with both the F-14 project and the LEM (Lunar Module). He was most proud of the work he did on the Tomcat. I vividly remember as a child going out with him to observe the Test Flights with the F-14 flying out of Calverton. I also remember Grumman sending us down to Virginia Beach, Virginia while my Father performed “Upgrades” on the Tomcat’s docked on the Aircraft Carriers in the 80’s. Great times.....Astro, you definitely flew a Plane that my Father had his hands on! (y)

Post Script: My Uncle ( James “Jim” Philbin) was a Test Pilot for both the F-14 and the E2C Hawkeye in their initial stages.

Military pilots like the air show circuit. The selection process to be the demo pilot is rigorous, competitive and political. So much can go wrong with that kind of flying, with the proximity to the crowd, that it’s very, very selective. It takes dozens of training sorties, and supervised flights, all working at lower and lower altitude, until a pilot is considered qualified to do the demo. Not just any pilot is allowed to perform an airshow.

My Father was an Electrical engineer with Grumman Aerospace in the 60’s and the 70’s out of Bethpage Long Island and Calverton Long Island. He worked with both the F-14 project and the LEM (Lunar Module). He was most proud of the work he did on the Tomcat. I vividly remember as a child going out with him to observe the Test Flights with the F-14 flying out of Calverton. I also remember Grumman sending us down to Virginia Beach, Virginia while my Father performed “Upgrades” on the Tomcat’s docked on the Aircraft Carriers in the 80’s. Great times.....Astro, you definitely flew a Plane that my Father had his hands on! (y)

Post Script: My Uncle ( James “Jim” Philbin) was a Test Pilot for both the F-14 and the E2C Hawkeye in their initial stages.

Very cool! Please give them both my warmest regards and thank them for their work. I loved the jet ( as if that wasn’t obvious from 28 pages of posts on it) and the folks who built it and worked on it should be very proud of their accomplishments.

Very cool! Please give them both my warmest regards and thank them for their work. I loved the jet ( as if that wasn’t obvious from 28 pages of posts on it) and the folks who built it and worked on it should be very proud of their accomplishments.
Both have long passed, but I appreciate the regards.

Military pilots like the air show circuit. The selection process to be the demo pilot is rigorous, competitive and political. So much can go wrong with that kind of flying, with the proximity to the crowd, that it’s very, very selective. It takes dozens of training sorties, and supervised flights, all working at lower and lower altitude, until a pilot is considered qualified to do the demo. Not just any pilot is allowed to perform an airshow.

Thanks Astro14
My attempt at humour fell flat on it's face but there you go.

Thanks for that. I had no idea how you guys looked upon the airshow circuit. I totally respect the skills involved.

Tikka.

Hi Astro14.
A fun question to you if i may?
If offered the chance to fly any aircraft what would it be. Past or present. Which is the one aircraft that you have always dreamed of flying?
Tikka.

The A-12 version of the Blackbird. Always admired that airplane. Have most of the books written about it, and talked with a few guys who have flown it. Fantastic airplane. The A-12 was a bit faster and higher flying than the SR-71, or so I’m told...

Hi Astro14
Thank you for that.
An incredible Aircraft. More so when you realise we are talking technology of the late 50s and early 60s.

The A-12 version of the Blackbird. Always admired that airplane. Have most of the books written about it, and talked with a few guys who have flown it. Fantastic airplane. The A-12 was a bit faster and higher flying than the SR-71, or so I’m told...

Hi Astro
Came across this and thought i would post it for those interested in this ground breaking aircraft.

Hi Astro14.
As an airline pilot that that seems to like speed i am guessing you would have liked to pilot a Concorde? New York to London in 3 hours. Again with 60s technology.

I grew up around Royal Air Force bases in the '70s and '80s as my father was an RAF technician for 22 years, working on stuff like the Shorts Belfast, Vickers VC-10 and SEPECAT Jaguar (I still have a soft spot for these).

To the point - I have a very vivid memory from the late 70s - I was about 8 or 9 and living in West Germany at RAF Brüggen - the home aircraft were Jaguars (plus a squadron of Bristol Bloodhound SAMs) but we used to get a lot of other RAF, USAF and Luftwaffe visitors (EE Lightnings, F4 Phantoms, F104 Starfighters, Blackburn Buccaneers, BAe Harriers etc). This one day I was walking near the airfield with my family and a pair of aircraft took off, pointed their noses vertically and disappeared into the sky. I had seen EE Lightnings do this but this sleek, twin-finned aircraft appeared to do it with more class and I was captivated. To the question - how did the F-15 Eagle compare to the F-14 Tomcat; it was the F15 I saw that day and it has remained a favourite of mine.

I grew up around Royal Air Force bases in the '70s and '80s as my father was an RAF technician for 22 years, working on stuff like the Shorts Belfast, Vickers VC-10 and SEPECAT Jaguar (I still have a soft spot for these).

To the point - I have a very vivid memory from the late 70s - I was about 8 or 9 and living in West Germany at RAF Brüggen - the home aircraft were Jaguars (plus a squadron of Bristol Bloodhound SAMs) but we used to get a lot of other RAF, USAF and Luftwaffe visitors (EE Lightnings, F4 Phantoms, F104 Starfighters, Blackburn Buccaneers, BAe Harriers etc). This one day I was walking near the airfield with my family and a pair of aircraft took off, pointed their noses vertically and disappeared into the sky. I had seen EE Lightnings do this but this sleek, twin-finned aircraft appeared to do it with more class and I was captivated. To the question - how did the F-15 Eagle compare to the F-14 Tomcat; it was the F15 I saw that day and it has remained a favourite of mine.
Please forgive my delayed response.

The Lightning was built with an incredible ability to climb. Twin engines, very lightweight, so it was an incredible performer, particularly given the time during which it was built. However, it didn’t carry much fuel, so its range was quite limited. The weapon system of the time was also unimpressive, So, while it’s a very cool airplane, it’s a one trick pony.

The F-15 remains one of the worlds great fighters. It has great thrust to weight. It has excellent turn performance. It has a formidable weapon system.

The F-14 was built for a different set of design goals. Better slow speed handling for carrier performance. Heavier payload. Stronger (and heavier structure) for carrier landing and catapult. Higher build cost, and the F-15 wasn’t exactly cheap, either. With the installation of the General Electric F110 engines, the F 14 was very close to the F 15 in thrust to weight.

Depending on the parameters of the engagement, either airplane could carry the day.

I talked about the F-14 v. F-15 in the thread earlier.

When we used to fight the F-15s out of Langley, they would always define a fight where we couldn’t use the AIM-54. They knew its range. If we ended up in a visual merge, the Tomcat guys often won. The USAF may have had the better pure fighter, but the Navy guys could fly theirs slower, and tended to be a bit more agressive.

A classic story, back in 1973, the USAF was resting their brand new, very expensive F-15. The Chief of Staff of the USAF took personal interest in its performance, so did Congress. The Navy was asked to provide F-14s as adversaries in the USAF evaluation.

Nobody told the Naval Aviators, including one Joe “Hoser” Satrapa, that they were supposed to lose.

The picture below is of an F-14 HUD, with the gun pipper squarely on the F-15 pilot’s helmet. A humiliating kill. The Chief of Staff of the USAF tried to confiscate the HUD video to prevent the story from getting out. Didn’t want anyone knowing that their new, super expensive, world beating fighter just lost to the US Navy.

DD674B70-38DF-42CC-8ECA-2A8584C94357.jpeg

Back