ExxonMobil - Making the case for oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/business/16exxon.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Not want most Americans want to hear.

Quote:
“It’s not that we like lower prices, but our competitive advantage is more obvious to people in a low-price environment,” says Rex W. Tillerson, the chairman and chief executive of Exxon Mobil, the world’s largest, mightiest oil company. “But in a high-price environment, our competitive advantage has been quite evident as well.”

Quote:
FROM a purely financial standpoint, there’s no doubt that Exxon’s business strategy has paid off. Despite the broader economic turmoil, Exxon is worth around $375 billion — more than General Electric, Bank of America and Google combined — making it the world’s largest corporation.

Its balance sheet is pristine and its credit rating is better than that of most governments. If Exxon’s revenue were stacked against the world’s G.D.P.’s, it would rank between Austria and Greece as the 26th-largest economy. As oil prices peaked this summer, the company once again set a record as the most profitable American corporation, earning $14.8 billion in the third quarter. Since 2004 alone, the company has rung up profits of about $180 billion.

No I agree, I'm just saying it sounds like they are not moving into altervatives and using that revenue for the nex energy movement. Same as usual.

Originally Posted By: buster
No I agree, I'm just saying it sounds like they are not moving into altervatives and using that revenue for the nex energy movement. Same as usual.

It's an OIL company!!

Originally Posted By: Tempest

It's an OIL company!!

When they run head on into the train, they deserve it then.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's an OIL company!!

Fine by me. With $2 gas, that light is getting brighter, but on a different track...

But we will see if they are too big to fail as well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's an OIL company!!

Then they will prolly be bailed out.

LOL...Steve, I think that given the current wave of rewarding ridiculous behaviours, you are sadly correct.

No way Big G will let EM go under given the amount of taxes they can pilfer from them. They need to have a big evil capitalist corporation to bet up on and complain about "windfall profits".

Interesting how Congress isn't looking into "price collusion" now that prices have dropped...
smirk2.gif

When you grizzle about EMs taxation, please bear in mind that EM are spinning the figures.

They tell you how much tax they pay in the US, versus how much income they earn in the US.

Due to various agreements, large multinationals pay tax in their home country, often on income earned in other countries.

I'd like to see the ACTUAL tax rate of EM, rather than total tax versus US income.

Quote:
Due to various agreements, large multinationals pay tax in their home country, often on income earned in other countries.

Would that not actually INCREASE the tax rate/actual domestic operations ratio?

Also:
Quote:
Update: The $40.6 billion and $39.5 billion figures are after-tax profits. For 2006, Exxon's EBT (earnings before tax) was $67.4 billion, it paid $27.9 billion in taxes (41.4% tax rate), and its NIAT (net income after tax), or profit, was $39.5 billion

And to put things in perspective:
Quote:
Conclusion: In other words, just one corporation (Exxon Mobil) pays as much in taxes ($27 billion) annually as the entire bottom 50% of individual taxpayers, which is 65,000,000 people! Further, the tax rate for the bottom 50% is only 3% of adjusted gross income ($27.4 billion / $922 billion), and the tax rate for Exxon was 41% in 2006 ($67.4 billion in taxable income, $27.9 billion in taxes).

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63131-exxon-s-2007-tax-bill-30-billion

I would like to point out one other thing that is most likely overlooked. Unless I am mistaken, companies are required to match every dollar that employees pay into the Social Security fund. That would be a form of taxation.

Aren't companies required to pay for unemployment insurance? I know that it seems to be that way here in Texas. Once again, if this is correct then it would be another form of taxation.

I am sure that there are other examples, but these are two that come to my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back