FTC wants to stop P&G (Gillette, Venus) from buying razor startup Billie.

Monopoly is bad, but we have state sponsored monopoly in a lot of area too, or continent sponsored, like Boeing, Microsoft, Apple, Qualcomm, Amazon is also a near monopoly if not already one. Intel also but I'm happy they got shafted after shafting their customers for so long.

The biggest of them all? Comcast and Time Warner Internet.

I don't like monopoly one bit, but somehow in free market it is inevitable.

I shave with a safety razor and Astra double edged platinum blades, $6.99 for 100. That’s about a two-year supply.

I shave with a safety razor and Astra double edged platinum blades, $6.99 for 100. That’s about a two-year supply.
Astras are nice blades. I currently have over 150 safety blades (Dorco, feather, rapira and derby) in my stash and various soaps too.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Government should have little to no involvement in business. Harry's, Dollar, Billie all came about because Gillette and Schick had a duopoly and smaller companies popped up to offer another option for consumers. And they became very successful. Let the free market reign.

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^

Why did Harry's etc gain more and more market share to begin with ???

There was a opening... Created by the big guys...

Anyone remember Sears???

My first time in a Wally world happened a long long time ago... Never thought I'd see Sears go belly up along with K Mart...

Eventually.... Wally World will fall too...

I've been using Harry's for a couple years. Decent for the price, but let's face it, there is nothing high tech about a razor.

As much as I lean towards a very limited govt, this is probably a good thing. I say this as a conservative and former executive w/ a global 200.

Competition within a free market is good, it is one of the bases of our system. But monopolies, duopolies in this case, can form and can will skew the market to prevent competition through predatory pricing, controlling needed commodities, or clout with disti's and retailers, etc., stifling innovation and potentially leading to less innovative products and/or increased prices for consumers. DeBeers anyone??
Yep, anyone who disagrees should go try to switch their cable TV/internet provider and see what options they have for service/speed.

I notice no difference with the formerly local Tom’s of Maine now owned by Colgate except prices got way better and way easier to find.
I’m willing to bet the ingredients will change if they have not already. Watch for a label change,and with it,the formula as well.

I stopped buying Gillette or any of them when I realized I could have an inexhaustible supply of fresh, sharp razor blades for $3.50 a year.

I quit buying anything Gillette after they ran that toxic masculinity commercial on the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. Try not to buy P&G but that is hard sometimes.
Same here. I buy and use vintage Gillette safety razors -- they are great and don't put any more money in P & G's pockets. But no blades made by Gillette. Fortunately there are lots of other blade makers.

As much as I lean towards a very limited govt, this is probably a good thing. I say this as a conservative and former executive w/ a global 200.

Competition within a free market is good, it is one of the bases of our system. But monopolies, duopolies in this case, can form and can will skew the market to prevent competition through predatory pricing, controlling needed commodities, or clout with disti's and retailers, etc., stifling innovation and potentially leading to less innovative products and/or increased prices for consumers. DeBeers anyone??
I'm a CPA with a Big Business background, and I agree 100% with this. Without competition, our economy will fail.

Back