Exxon Superflow 20w50, 73 miles, 01YZ250F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty then... thanks for the reply. What do the forum sponsors think?

I've got 2 samples of Amsoil MCV 10W-40 from the '04 YZ250F I used to own, one with 100 miles, (5 hours) on one and ~120 miles (5 hours) on another. I've got them all bottled up and ready to send to Blackstone. I'll send them in.... some day.

[ November 20, 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: kzoo ]

my guess is that both of those samples will show a light 30wt and nothing else special. basically, you spent a lot of money on something that will have sheared out of grade faster than expected.

Wow your clutch had to be slipping with the moly being 76))))))

I'm running redline on klx400 (600) moly, no slippage. It's mainly street though.

Welp, I 've been running this 20w50 for about 500 miles , It feels aliitle heavy for the bike and shifting not quite as good as the amsoil 15w40 but not bad enough to mis shifts. A 5% less quality I'd say

I fiqure by 1000 miles or so it will shear and dilute alittle. I paid $9 for 4 quarts. Temperature wise, I havent noted much difference. 223degrees is about all I normally see(maximum), and with the superflow 20w50 I have seen 225 degrees.

What happens with an oil which has too much calicium?

I've read it can cause wear?

Comment

I'm pushing 1500 miles now , I'm sure it's diluted and sheared alittle, but I think I'll go back to full synthetic, even though the nose says the Superflow doesnt have the typical crude oil smell I think it has some synthetic componentry in it.

Or maybe a 2 quarts of 10w40 superflow and one quart of 20w50.
the shift feel, I'm not sure what the reason it's not quite as slick, but I've never missed a shift. The oil still feels heavy in the bike.

I'll probably have this sample tested and go back to the amsoil 15w40

But if I was forced to run this oil, it's inexpensive and could do so without too much fan fare.

superflo 10w40 shears down quick. that's the truth. i have yet to test a 10w40 that doesn't shear down.

i just filled the MixMaster of Doom (MMoD) last night with a very big name 10w50. we'll see in 2 weeks how it holds up. i have 4 big tests lined up for the rest of the year. should be interesting.

I dumped the superflow 20w50 at 1500 mile, I havent sent in the sample yet. I liked the oil as far as the smell and the look. It just always felt heavy in the bike and didnt shift as smoothly. That was surprising, but I'm back on the AMSoil 15w40 for now(slicker shift).

It would be interesting to see how the sample turned out though.

Sunruh, I use my YZ250f for trail riding and no sustained high rpm riding, how many hours would you say the Exxon SuperFlow could go and stay in grade? Maybe 10-15 hrs? Also, how about the Valvoline VR1? Do you like it over the XOM? Thanks for UOAs on YZ.

Sunruh, I went back and read all your UOAs for your YZ250f. I'm sold on the XOM, puts all the "boutique" oils to shame. I'm glad I found this forum and thanks for all your UOAs, they really help gauge how fast these little motors grind up the oil. I think with my type of riding, I could easily get 10-15 hrs on XOM.

10-15 hours is a very long time to run a fluid in a shared sump bike engine. Let alone the chance of shear and depletion...there are way to many contaminants introduced into the fluid for me to run ANY fluid for 10 hours or more...trail riding or racing.

Actually...a trial rider may find their oil even more contaminated than the racing bike with the same hours, depending on how much the clutch is used.

Ok thanks for the info. Have you guys (wiley & lt 4) tried this oil? If so how do you like it?

Thanks again

Actually I don't have a motorcycle, so I never used 20w50.

But I have used many cases of the 5w20 Superflo and its a great low cost oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back