Extreme Ice Tire Faceoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_German
...The noise at any speed is a non-issue, we even lowered the windows….

In every test I have seen that includes a noise rating, the Hakka8 (and some competitors) are rated as the noisiest in the test group (typically a dozen studded and studless tires). But people vary in their sensitivity to tire noise, and it's good that the noise does not bother you. It would drive me nuts.

I remember about 2-3 years ago Auto Review (in Russia) tested the Hakka8 on a big S-class Mercedes Benz, and they commented how the Hakka8 was able to intrude into the passenger cabin with excessive noise, despite all the sound deadening measures that you get with a $100,000 Mercedes.

On rough surfaces they are not really that bad at all. A brand new Costco parking lot it is fairly loud to people outside the car they all turn around and look as I pass and I find it sounds as if you are driving over broken tempered glass squares on concrete pretty much.

But they sure work well. More offroading pics I did today. Think they were a great purchase.

Pics:

I have come to the conclusion that if you drive on old pocked crumbling roadways the studs may land on a depression in the asphalt more often than not reducing the noise of the stud contacting the road.

Some area of roads you notice it, others you don't.

I thought that I would be a more sensitive person to stud noise but it really isn't a big deal to me or my Father.

Would some people find it really annoying? Yes I could see that happening but in my case I can't say it is that big of a deal, and the performance you get is the tradeoff.

On rough surfaces they are not really that bad at all. A brand new Costco parking lot it is fairly loud to people outside the car they all turn around and look as I pass and I find it sounds as if you are driving over broken tempered glass squares on concrete pretty much.

But they sure work well. More offroading pics I did today. Think they were a great purchase.

Pics:

Why you need studs in those conditions?

I could have done ok here edyvw.

Studs are really a tough call. I didn't know the conditions before I went, the ice was soft where present etc. Our temps plummet then everthing freezes solid.

The reason I went Studded is for stuff like this that is coming (as per Intellicast today):

Also it helps out the Fit get grip on black ice, we get it a few times each Winter. Hit a patch in the fast lane 2 weeks ago on the 40 West.

Maybe I don't NEED them. It is a tough "on the fence" decision.

I could have done ok here edyvw.

Studs are really a tough call. I didn't know the conditions before I went, the ice was soft where present etc. Our temps plummet then everthing freezes solid.

The reason I went Studded is for stuff like this that is coming (as per Intellicast today):

Also it helps out the Fit get grip on black ice, we get it a few times each Winter. Hit a patch in the fast lane 2 weeks ago on the 40 West.

Maybe I don't NEED them. It is a tough "on the fence" decision.

-19? It was -31 here last month. Plus, here temperature during day is 10c, during night drops below 0, sometimes to -15. You have 20cm of snow today, tomorrow 15c, melt, water, freezes over night etc.

studs have their biggest advantage over studless near freezing on ice.

as the ice gets colder and harder the studless grip will increase while the studded wont as much.

Originally Posted By: Rand
studs have their biggest advantage over studless near freezing on ice.

as the ice gets colder and harder the studless grip will increase while the studded wont as much.

Yeah I know that, but for example here we have mostly issues with fresh ice, and drive 95% of time on dry surface, 4% of 2ft of snow, 1% on ice.

edyvw, you guys only drive 1% of the time on ice? Ok I understand where you are coming from then.

This was in our Downtown core lol check it out Ed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCrokMdjisc

Studded tires or not aside, you should see the TAXES we pay up here. You just would die. And we get no salt anymore.

Thanks for all your input guys maybe I'll add some new pics here and there if I get into an interesting mess with the car getting stuck somewhere.

I did get stuck near a slaughterhouse behind Dorion in the above pics. Tried to turn down a snowmobile trail off the main trail and the tires dropped in and I was really stuck.

I didn't mind as I had my trusty spade in the trunk, 5 mins clearing behind the wheels and I was on my way. I really had fun that day with the Fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back