Extract oil....not for me.

Originally Posted by E365
In my case it actually was needed! I bought a used car once, did an oil change the next day and found out the oil drain plug threads were pretty badly cross-threaded. I bought an oil extractor as a temporary solution until I could get around to doing a proper Time-Sert as I didn't want to touch the drain plug until it could be fixed.

That's when I learned how wonderful of a tool it was. Plus it was a BMW with the filter cartridge on top.

Again we're at differences of opinion.
Your method wasn't needed.
Your method was preferred.
You did an oil change the next day and found out the oil drain plug threads were pretty badly cross-threaded.
With that freshly changed oil, it gave you a solid 4 months minimum to complete the Time-sert fix. No extractor required.

You're method isn't incorrect. It's just no more correct or superior than any other method out there.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I guess it's just a matter of preference. I don't mind going under my vehicles. It gives me a chance to look things over. Both of my vehicles have top mounted filters.

For most of my rigs, it's faster to just pull the plug and drain from under the car. A couple are too low slide my big oil catch pan under so I'll use the extractor more often than not. I don't run long intervals, so I don't really care if I leave a few ounces of oil in the pan. Changing engine oil is not where the extractor shines, for me, though. I use them for transmission partial drain and fills, differentials, power steering fluid, boat inboards, Ford PowerStroke HPOP oil reservoirs, even the old external bypass oil filter on my 1950 Chevy truck.

I still have one vehicle with factory grease fittings but also have one Ford Taurus and my son's 2010 Chev Silverado with replacement ball joints with a grease fitting. These have to be tended to, so it requires a trip down under. I haven't had a torn boot since the 80's but I guess it happens. Normally, suspension issues are tipped off by sound, not visual inspections, unless maybe you spot a leaking component such as a steering box, but generally I look for spots on the garage floor for that. Really, under-car visuals are only done by people who are interested in it. Millions of cars are never inspected from underneath. But yes, I am interested in it personally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by raburn2906

Or I could let 5+ quarts of scalding hot oil come blasting out the drain hole that's 8" from my face as I lay on my back and hope I catch it all in the catch pan. Then slide the sloshing pan out from under the car, again hoping I don't spill more on the way to my recycling jugs.

Pretty dramatic...

Yes, on purpose. ...‚

Wasn't that scene in Deep Water Horizon?
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I will use my extractor for transmissions with vehicles that I have owned for a long time and know the maintenance history. I do a pan drop and filter at a point and then the extractor for the later periodic partial fluid exchanges. Otherwise I'm under the vehicle for engine oil changes and rust checks, ect.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I could see the time saving benefits if you have a filter on top of the engine but that is all. I have a lift and during the time the vehicle is up in the air I do a thorough inspection of the brakes,suspension,steering,exhaust, CV/U joints. Check for leaks and generally look for anything out of the ordinary. Of course you can also do the other under the car fluid services as required. So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. I see many flush the transmission without changing the filter, why bother? I guess it isn't too surprising on a board that the majority is fixated on the lowest cost /longest OCI available for their vehicle. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

Apologies but your post sounds like you're trolling but I'll play along for a little while.

What would you do if...

You didn't have a lift?
You didn't have a garage?
You lived in an apartment?

What's all this talk about "required inspection" of the underbody. About half the US population doesn't live in the snow belt, the underside of modern vehicles are covered with panels, brakes/shocks can be inspected through the wheel/wheel well if you don't have faith in the brake pad sensor. CV/U joints last "forever". Unless you hit something there's really no need to get under the car until it gets closer to 100k miles and even then it's maybe once a year or you feel slop in the suspension.

Last edited:
My only topside-filter vehicle is the Canyon, and it's a snap to crawl under the truck to drain oil. I take it as a personal challenge to capture all the oil that shoots out like it's under 10psi of pressure.

The topside filter provides more advantage that eliminating the need to crawl under the truck if you're an "extractor guy". Since it's inverted, there's never any oil mess associated with changing the filter. Pop it out, replace the o-ring, pop a new one in, done. I appreciate the design, but I'm still draining from below.

Out of curiosity, does extracting remove as much oil as draining from the bottom? Also, could it be assumed that draining from the bottom would evacuate any sediment that is at the bottom of the pan versus extraction?
21.gif

I've been extracting oil on one of my engines for 190k miles and never needed to get under the vehicle. I've recently started pumping oil instead of pouring it. Saves me time and the hassle of getting under the car.

Sediment? Why would there be any sediment in my oil.

If I had a lift, I would still extract instead of creating an oily mess.

It's like civilized world versus barbaric times for me.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I could see the time saving benefits if you have a filter on top of the engine but that is all. I have a lift and during the time the vehicle is up in the air I do a thorough inspection of the brakes,suspension,steering,exhaust, CV/U joints. Check for leaks and generally look for anything out of the ordinary. Of course you can also do the other under the car fluid services as required. So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. I see many flush the transmission without changing the filter, why bother? I guess it isn't too surprising on a board that the majority is fixated on the lowest cost /longest OCI available for their vehicle. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

Apologies but your post sounds like you're trolling but I'll play along for a little while.

What would you do if...

You didn't have a lift?

What's all this talk about "required inspection" of the underbody. About half the US population doesn't live in the snow belt, the underside of modern vehicles are covered with panels, brakes/shocks can be inspected through the wheel/wheel well if you don't have faith in the brake pad sensor. CV/U joints last "forever". Unless you hit something there's really no need to get under the car until it gets closer to 100k miles and even then it's maybe once a year or you feel slop in the suspension.

I just looked in three different manufacturers maintenance schedules and all three require 10-20k mile brake/suspension/.steering/exhaust inspections that aren't achievable without the car in the air at least high enough to get your body underneath it.

On this board, what interests me is the juxtaposition and narrow focus involved in car fluids. I don't care if someone uses an extractor exclusively. They discuss the efficacy and life of a fluid and how its performance versus life versus cost compels their decision making process. The fluids in a car are important but not the only systems in a car that need periodic maintenance or inspection. I imagine many on this board have never used a pinch bar to check deflection on suspension or steering bushings to get ahead of a failure and save their tires or find a weird sheen coating the floor pans of the passenger compartment with no evidence of transmission fluid on the garage floor that is being atomized and leaving the vent. There are hundreds of other reasons why an under car inspection is wise and usually required by the manufacturer for warranty purposes at least once every 10k-20k miles.

If I didn't have a lift or a garage and lived in an apartment I would take it to a reputable garage and let them make an inspection. If they found something, I would want them to show me what it is in person. It is also possible to utilize a friend or family members garage and maybe throw some maintenance their direction for the favor.

As an aside, I work on friends and family's vehicles all the time. It gives me a chance to contrast and compare different makes. This has led to some surprising discoveries as some manufacturers really do engineer to the lowest cost design.

I do all from underneath!! Thats the thrill of it! I love the hot oil running down my arms, the fun of getting the drain plug out as quick and neatly as possible to avoid the bath, its like a game! Plus I always look around for leaks and other concerns while under there. Never owned and extractor and never will, they are for sissies!

What would you do if...

You didn't have a lift?

I just looked in three different manufacturers maintenance schedules and all three require 10-20k mile brake/suspension/.steering/exhaust inspections that aren't achievable without the car in the air at least high enough to get your body underneath it.

On this board, what interests me is the juxtaposition and narrow focus involved in car fluids. I don't care if someone uses an extractor exclusively. They discuss the efficacy and life of a fluid and how its performance versus life versus cost compels their decision making process. The fluids in a car are important but not the only systems in a car that need periodic maintenance or inspection. I imagine many on this board have never used a pinch bar to check deflection on suspension or steering bushings to get ahead of a failure and save their tires or find a weird sheen coating the floor pans of the passenger compartment with no evidence of transmission fluid on the garage floor that is being atomized and leaving the vent. There are hundreds of other reasons why an under car inspection is wise and usually required by the manufacturer for warranty purposes at least once every 10k-20k miles.

If I didn't have a lift or a garage and lived in an apartment I would take it to a reputable garage and let them make an inspection. If they found something, I would want them to show me what it is in person. It is also possible to utilize a friend or family members garage and maybe throw some maintenance their direction for the favor.

As an aside, I work on friends and family's vehicles all the time. It gives me a chance to contrast and compare different makes. This has led to some surprising discoveries as some manufacturers really do engineer to the lowest cost design.

With dealers providing or offering oil changes during the warranty period there's no reason for the owner to get under a car if they're doing a mid-OCI oil change using an extractor. Seriously what's the point? Just to pontificate about how "responsible I am" as a vehicle owner?

I highly doubt the individuals who use an oil extractor are the type which would ignore the likelihood of potential damage from a roadside impact, poor shift performance of their transmission, be unaware of slop in the steering/suspension or ignore fluid leaks.

What would you do if...

You didn't have a lift?

With dealers providing or offering oil changes during the warranty period there's no reason for the owner to get under a car if they're doing a mid-OCI oil change using an extractor. Seriously what's the point? Just to pontificate about how "responsible I am" as a vehicle owner?

I highly doubt the individuals who use an oil extractor are the type which would ignore the likelihood of potential damage from a roadside impact, poor shift performance of their transmission, be unaware of slop in the steering/suspension or ignore fluid leaks.

What's your point? Folks that use oil extractors are more evolved? You think a can of Fix-A-Flat in new cars is superior to a spare tire? Do you prefer a Crescent wrench over a combination wrench to ease the hassle? Is the combination shampoo and conditioner you use the hot ticket to your luxurious head of hair?Just because you may lack the skills to do anything beyond vacuum oil out of a dipstick tube doesn't mean there aren't more capable folks on this board.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds
I do all from underneath!! Thats the thrill of it! I love the hot oil running down my arms, the fun of getting the drain plug out as quick and neatly as possible to avoid the bath, its like a game! Plus I always look around for leaks and other concerns while under there. Never owned and extractor and never will, they are for sissies!

AMEN!!!! lol

What's your point? Folks that use oil extractors are more evolved? You think a can of Fix-A-Flat in new cars is superior to a spare tire? Do you prefer a Crescent wrench over a combination wrench to ease the hassle? Is the combination shampoo and conditioner you use the hot ticket to your luxurious head of hair?Just because you may lack the skills to do anything beyond vacuum oil out of a dipstick tube doesn't mean there aren't more capable folks on this board.

Not evolved but more involved, more cognizant than a "typical owner".

Don't forget that owners manuals are written under the assumption that the vehicle owner will pay someone to do the work.

Last edited:
Back