Extended warranty for the Maverick, Yeah or Nay

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Beings I have a fair chunk of change left over trading the Venza for the Maverick. Thinking of using about half for a Ford Premium Care extended warranty. Can purchase from Flood Ford for a 96 month 100K, $0 deductible w/full lighting protection inside and outside for $1785. This is a very competitive price for this level of coverage, from what I am able to see. It is $300 less with a $50 deductible. The best price my dealer offered was $2920. Which is $500 below retail price. Sorry at that price it's not a good value.

Will not do, until I am sure the Maverick is a keeper. Considering the new status of the Maverick I feel that this might pay for itself. If nothing else it gives me a rental for those recall visits the first three years. Would most likely increase the value if I decide to sell. It is transferable.

I know it is just a insurance policy. Searches at other policy providers seem a bit higher.

Yeah or Nay?

Beings I have a fair chunk of change left over trading the Venza for the Maverick. Thinking of using about half for a Ford Premium Care extended warranty. Can purchase from Flood Ford for a 96 month 100K, $0 deductible w/full lighting protection inside and outside for $1785. This is a very competitive price for this level of coverage, from what I am able to see. It is $300 less with a $50 deductible. The best price my dealer offered was $2920. Which is $500 below retail price. Sorry at that price it's not a good value.

Will not do, until I am sure the Maverick is a keeper. Considering the new status of the Maverick I feel that this might pay for itself. If nothing else it gives me a rental for those recall visits the first three years. Would most likely increase the value if I decide to sell. It is transferable.

I know it is just a insurance policy. Searches at other policy providers seem a bit higher.

Yeah or Nay?
My mother purchased that warranty plan.. During your manufacturers OE warranty, they will use OE parts. Out of manufactures warranty the insurance will and can use cheapest available.

My mother purchased that warranty plan.. During your manufacturers OE warranty, they will use OE parts. Out of manufactures warranty the insurance will and can use cheapest available.
That’s not true for Ford vehicles using a Ford ESP at a Ford dealership. Maybe if it’s used at a different make dealership but ESP uses the same authorization system, same parts and same labor operations and pay as Ford factory warranty.

insurances are usually a thumbs down depending on how you maintain and treat your car. Being that you are on a maintenance website, I would assume you treat your cars well and they would last well beyond 100K with no issue. Do you think you'll get 8 years before you get 100K miles?

One thing is for certain, The insurance company consistently makes money on insurance policies. That's why they are open. you would not be getting that deal unless they were sure you will cost them less than 1785. over the term.

My deal has always been to not buy a car with enough reliability concerns that I would feel the need for a insurance beyond the manufacturers policy.

I'm not a big one for extended warranty contracts, but under $2K is awfully tempting, especially if it covers all HVAC problems and it takes you 6yrs+ to accumulate 100K miles on it.

You have to figure so many things are covered for 3/36 and 5/60.

That’s not true for Ford vehicles using a Ford ESP at a Ford dealership. Maybe if it’s used at a different make dealership but ESP uses the same authorization system, same parts and same labor operations and pay as Ford factory warranty.
That's good to here.. She was sold the warranty from a third party insurance back in 2016, they were cheap and in the contract it said they could make the shop use used parts for drivetrain repairs.

insurances are usually a thumbs down depending on how you maintain and treat your car. Being that you are on a maintenance website, I would assume you treat your cars well and they would last well beyond 100K with no issue. Do you think you'll get 8 years before you get 100K miles?

One thing is for certain, The insurance company consistently makes money on insurance policies. That's why they are open. you would not be getting that deal unless they were sure you will cost them less than 1785. over the term.

My deal has always been to not buy a car with enough reliability concerns that I would feel the need for a insurance beyond the manufacturers policy.

Yes to the above.

Work your best price, then put that dollar amount aside for repairs you may incur beyond the warranty coverage.

I purchased a Maintenance package and extended warranty at the dealership when I purchased my BMW. It was $1050 and it covered services including a major service were the cost would be over $1000k. Oil changes, brake fluid change every 2 years. Worth it for me if I wanted to have the dealership work on it..

How long until you have to buy to keep that price?
I.E. can you go to close to the end of the factory warranty and see how the car performs, if you like it, etc and then decide? Or do you have to decide today. I think I'd skip it and if the car was a problem dump it around the time the factory warranty was up. I don't think I'd buy something where I felt I had to buy an extra warranty for it.

How long do you have to decide? Do you get to get near the end of your factory warranty to buy in?

If the car turns out to be an unreliable turkey, the rate for this warranty will rise to cover it.

For a first year domestic product using licensed tech, made to the cheapest price point, I say absolutely get the warranty.

I don’t like extended warranties. Over a personal lifetime it never comes out ahead. However I purchase power train ones on my fords. Used one once. For a new trans.

Sadly, the cost of the 98 F150 trans was, at the time, quite low. And the cost for the powertrain warr was about equal. The other vehicles needed nothing.

Maybe a bit more disappointing is that the replacement transmission had clearly been in a salt environment and they did not bother to clean it. The replacement lasted about 100K miles.

I suspect the hybwid powertrain warr is pretty good.

Last edited:
I'd pass. Car ain't junk bad enough engineering wise to need it. Yeah sure it's a "new" vehicle but its important bits are quite old and have been around long enough like the engine and ecvt to be pretty wrinkle free. They shouldn't have an issue and they're product of the Toyota ford partnership from a while ago.

Worst case scenario the battery conks after warranty coverage but i think the battery will be fine. It's supposed to be an SK made unit which have an overall good track record and the older ford hybrids also use them and lg batteries and they're reliable. LG's getting a bad rep with the chevy bolt batteries right now though and GM's amber hearded the bed with their poor decision to kill the chevy bolt's support.

Thanks for all the replies. Still not 100% sure. I feel the hybrid part is good, it's all the other electronics that create concern. I going to stew on this one awhile. The hybrid battery has a 100k warranty. I think the rest of the hybrid parts have a 8/80 warranty. The ICE is normal 5/60 powertrain warranty. The price of the infotainment display is probably a grand. The lighting coverage I think is a steal for a $70 add on. Priced LED headlight and tail light assemblies, you might lose your dentures. On to more thinkin'. I have 1 year after purchase to get the best price.

Thanks again

The insurance company has data and are betting you won't need repairs in excess of the premium. If you want to gamble, I'd put the money into stocks and see where you are in 8 years.

The insurance company has data and are betting you won't need repairs in excess of the premium. If you want to gamble, I'd put the money into stocks and see where you are in 8 years.
It's sold by Ford though so they don't have the same pressure on profits as a 3rd party would. I would gamble on it. It's a first year model, made during a pandemic with supply chain issues. Even if you get rid of the car after 6-7 years, you could probably transfer it to the next owner which would add some value to the car.

As for prices, yeah, I've had a Mercedes E-350 for 7 years and the bixenon assemblies were $1500 each. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Yes all those parts can be expensive if they fail, but in general, they tend to be more reliable these days. I would also get it now or not wait too long, while you can probably get it before the factory warranty expires, the prices will probably go up at some point. Would probably pay to figure out when they normally raises their prices but with inflation going up, they may do it soon regardless of what they may have done in the past.

Back