Extended idling okay for gasoline engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going way out on a limb here but ever considered a cheap motel?
27.gif

He probably has a deadline to meet, so motels are out of the question and a 3 hour nap is needed to make a really long drive.

I know I've done it.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Originally Posted By: meep
2 gallons per hour idling in the 3.0 pathfinder, 3.3 minivan and 2.2 subaru I "lived" in during my night school years.

M

That seems a bit high, considering driving at 60 mph for the same amount of time at 30 mpg will use the same amount of fuel.

I know. For me I was doing work or sleeping in the car 2-3x/week between job/school, or doing papers in the car before church (2 newborns- house was never quiet), so I did it enough to just sorta figure it out.

They say idling is the most inefficient mode of operation.

As for relative mpg, the subaru at best saw 26-7 mpg hwy, the minivan 24mpg and the pathfinder 21 after mileage mods.

M

Sometimes it's because of a deadline, others not. It's very uneconomical to rent a motel at 3am, when only needing 2-4 hours sleep to complete a couple more hours of driving. Sometimes I'm in so remote a location that there are no motels without driving another 60+ miles. Circumstances vary but it does happen..

Good to know that the engine won't suffer, but I will take note of the carbon monoxide and invest in a detector.

The only other thing I'll be doing is moving to the passenger seat. I don't want to jam my foot onto the accelerator pedal by accident, could be disastrous!

If this is the 92 saturn in your user name it has a neutral rev limiter as do most other cars.

2 gallons per hour idling in the 3.0 pathfinder, 3.3 minivan and 2.2 subaru I "lived" in during my night school years.

I don't think those engines were running properly!

Originally Posted By: rpn453

+1 My 6.0 Corvette idles on 0.5 gph

Quote:
The only other thing I'll be doing is moving to the passenger seat. I don't want to jam my foot onto the accelerator pedal by accident, could be disastrous!

I drove many miles in a 24 hour period years ago. I was frequently exhausted and would pull off at an overpass. I'd sleep with the engine running and the parking lights on.

There were quite a few times when trucks would blow by and shake the car. I'd wake up ..and see a guard rail and the tail lights of the trailer ..and my dash lights. I'd panic and hit the brakes and wonder why some stuff was still in motion ..and other stuff wasn't.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

There were quite a few times when trucks would blow by and shake the car. I'd wake up ..and see a guard rail and the tail lights of the trailer ..and my dash lights. I'd panic and hit the brakes and wonder why some stuff was still in motion ..and other stuff wasn't.

I'm sorry, but the thought of that happening over and over is hilarious!

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: rpn453

+1 My 6.0 Corvette idles on 0.5 gph

+2. Our 400HP+ diesels in the buses use up about 1GPH to idle... Slightly less if you want to risk idling on "low" (and possibly starving the pistons/bearings/crank of oil).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I don't want to jam my foot onto the accelerator pedal by accident, could be disastrous!

Indeed!
crackmeup2.gif

There's some roadworks on the way to work, and remembering my old 5.0V-8, 1 Tonne Torana, with 265/50 Eagers on that back, and a wonder trip across a very clay based dirt road (my road car threw clay bananas)...I threw the E30 into 2nd, and flattened it...old gearbox threw it out of second, and the throttle jammed wide open.

Took me a second or tow to assess the situation and find the ignition key...smoke that Mr Bond would be proud of.

A couple weeks ago too...mind must be on other things.

As for relative mpg, the subaru at best saw 26-7 mpg hwy, the minivan 24mpg and the pathfinder 21 after mileage mods.

M

You should note that relative MPG is influenced by aerodynamics and vehicle weight to a large degree, fuel use while idling is not.

agreed. just comparing that it used less at idle than at 60 mph. not by alot. it's always puzzled me. Keep in mind this is with a/c on (50-75% duty cycle or so? it's at idle, 90+*F) and the estimates are just that... estimates. could have been 1.5 gph but based on my experiences couldn't have been much less. I had to get really familiar with gas gauge behavior near E. I'd haved loved some real figures.

All 3 cars were meticulously maintained by me and purchased either new (subaru) or used with ~20k, regular syn oil, plug, wire, filters, emissions tests, etc.

I had to idle my 3.7L jeep about an hour sunday. In comparison it didn't seem to use as much.???

M

Originally Posted By: wapacz
i thought it was something like 44 mile for every hour for the police crown vics
The police package on vehicles raises and lowers the idle every so often...why?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If this is the 92 saturn in your user name it has a neutral rev limiter as do most other cars.

I remember the rev limiter at 4k on my old Saturn, I don't own that one anymore. Even at 4k non-stop I'd be worried! The only vehicles I've known to have that are GM's. That last two and my current (in sig) would happily rev to the fuel cut off near or slightly above redline.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Indeed!
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0viVq1Vooc&feature=channel_page

Nice video. I can imagine that being me after 18+ hours driving, hence why I'll move to the passenger side!

i understand that extended idling can be not-so-good for engine parts that "enjoy" being under a load, such as piston rings, bearings, etc. doing it long enough can supposedly cause awkward wearing of these parts, because normally they wear under a load and you are wearing them without a load present. but it would probably take hundreds and hundreds of idling hours to actually matter. just keep your oil changed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back