Extended Drain Oils

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Mobil extolls the virtues of their EP oils, and a lot of people use the product. There are a number of European oils that are designed to be used for extended drain intervals.
The Mobil oil has no European approvals that I could find, and some extended drain or Long Life European oils do have approvals.

So, would it be advantageous to use an extended drain oil with"approvals" over the, for lack of better phraseology, the more generic M1 oil, which only has two approvals, Dexos and a specific Hona application.? Of course, I'm interested in how that might work out for my Camry, but am really interested in many cars that tout 10,000-mile changes.

IMHO it can certainly be vehicle specific. 2011 Camry, again IMHO can run a 7-10k OCI on many quality oil and filter options. I wouldn't say the same for a 3.5 Ecoboost engine. But this is just me and I couldn't prove it with empirical evidence.

Mobil extolls the virtues of their EP oils, and a lot of people use the product. There are a number of European oils that are designed to be used for extended drain intervals.
The Mobil oil has no European approvals that I could find, and some extended drain or Long Life European oils do have approvals.

So, would it be advantageous to use an extended drain oil with"approvals" over the, for lack of better phraseology, the more generic M1 oil, which only has two approvals, Dexos and a specific Hona application.? Of course, I'm interested in how that might work out for my Camry, but am really interested in many cars that tout 10,000-mile changes.
I'd run the EP.. Good enough for 10 k oci and 300k. Jmo

Last night, was at friends house; she could care less about oil. So we're hanging out and I notice three unopened jugs of XOM Annual protection. I tell her "nice choice" she says,"Oh that; u can have them the previous owner left them here" I won't use them" So needless to say SCORE. The price was great!! 0 dollars for 15 quarts.

I watch Scotty Kilmer's video's on youtube a lot, and follow his advice on this - drain and change your oil and filter once a year even if driving very little, and every 5000 miles - engines are very expensive, and oil is cheap. Your oil should be recycled anyway, so it is not very wasteful. Some fluids like transmissions are supposed to be "lifetime" and they are not easy to check, no dipsticks often anymore. So the "lifetime" of the transmission is when the transmission runs low on fluid, or breaks down quicker from oil transmission oil. On these, make sure the transmission fluid is checked often though it is more difficult to check now. And change it anyway until it gets higher mileage, over 100,000 - On motor oil, even if the oil were not to wear out, which it does - it picks up dirt and contaminants that circulate through the engine, wearing it - so get rid of dirty oil as he recommends, use good quality oil and filters -

Your Camry's engine will work even with cooking oil. No need to over complicate things. I'd change filter and oil every 5k miles and save a lot of breath and sleep , if I were you.
I change the oil in Rav4 every 4,500 but the oil filter gets changed every third oil change. 11,000 miles a year.

why not pick your oil then do a UOA at 10,000 miles? This will tell you if you have any TBN left and if the oil is still good. It will also give you an idea of what is going on with your engine...

just my $0.02

I started practicing 10,000 mile OCIs in 1990, with my 1989 Honda Accord. I was using whatever synthetic oil struck my fancy at the time, mostly Mobil 1, but sometimes other brands, too. I wrecked that car at 353,000 miles. The engine never gave me any problems. With my 2012 Mazda3 I use a minimum of one year or 15,000 miles as an OCI (Mobil 1 EP). Before microGreen went out of business I was doing their 10,000 mile oil filter changes with oil only being dumped at 30,000 miles. I validated via UOA that after 30,000 miles there was still adequate TBN and low enough contaminant levels to call the oil serviceable. All I can say about 5,000 mile OCIs with synthetic oil is WHAT A WASTE. But, hey, if it makes you "feel better" go for it. I was one of those religiously changing oil at 3K miles back in the 1980s, but today's oils and engines are not your grandfather's, your father's, or even your younger self's.

If you have a modern GDI engine - they can trash an oil in less than 5,000 miles ... My Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine trashes oil like it invented the term !! Soot and fuel contamination are the main culprits for shorter OCI's . Conversely , a non GDI (MPI) engine can go longer between synthetic oil changes . *Typical suburban mixed driving gets 5K miles / 6 months (MPI engine) while GDI engine gets 4,000 miles / 4 month OCI with synthetic oil . Oil analysis reports suggest that is about right for my stable of Korean / Japanese vehicles. Last vehicle ('07 Sedona 3.8L MPI engine) never burned a drop of oil out to over 300K miles before trading it in for a smaller vehicle . This protocol works for me - besides I could blow the cost savings of a 10K mile OCI with a plate of wings and a pitcher of cold beverage !

Back