Extended Drain Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone knows what the definition of "extended drain" means exactly? It used to be that auto manufacturers recommended 3000 mile drains, then 4000 mile drains and now some are recommending 7500 mile drains. I assume that these increasing drain intervals from the manufacturers are not what they consider "extended drains", but they may have been before they implemented them. I hear that in Europe, 20,000 mile drains are normal in some cars there -- is that extended drains? Any thoughts people? Thanks in advance.

I think auto mfgs have always suggested 7500 mi drains under "normal conditions" and 3000 under "sever conditions". At least that is what my 1969 Corvette owner's manual says.

IMHO, exteded drain is 5k+.

I'm going from memory here, but I think it was anything from 5w30 to 20w40 for multi-vis and straight 30 if outside temps are >60F.

I was really shocked it had 5w30 as I did not think it was available in 1969. I also expected to see 20w50 in there, but it wasn't. The manual is a reproduction, but I don't think they would change any of the data, especially since they included 20w40 (anybody hear of that weight?).

quote:

I also expected to see 20w50 in there, but it wasn't.

Interesting, CAFE did not start until 75 and did not take effect until '78.

quote:

they included 20w40 (anybody hear of that weight?).

Yup, it's the spec'ed oil above 40F for my '86 Yamaha FZX 700 M/C.

Amsoil makes an oil in that range for natural-gas engines. A few other oddballs make it also.

I think this board (or maybe another) decided that "extended drain" meant anything beyond what the manufacturer recommended. So, if Toyota says 7500 it would be anything over that. Don't recall if it was the severe or normal schedule though, probably severe so anything over 3000.

OK, I've got my manual and I have a couple of corrections to make.

The suggested oil change is 4 months or 6000 miles. For sever operation (dusty roads, primarily < 10 mi trips, hauling,etc) it is 2000 miles or 2 months.

Now, here is the oil viscosity recommendations:
0F - 60F: 10w, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40
>20F: 20w, 10w30, 10w40, 20w40

Notes:
SAE5w and 5w20 oils are not recommended for sustained high speed driving.
SAE 30 oils may be sued at temperatures above 60F.

Patman's right on the car, but it does and always did have an oil filter. I'm pretty sure all SBC's had one.

I haven't heard of a manufacturer with a 2000 miles severe change schedule. I looked above but I did not see what you are driving. Curious as to who makes this car?

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I haven't heard of a manufacturer with a 2000 miles severe change schedule. I looked above but I did not see what you are driving. Curious as to who makes this car?

It's a 1969 Corvette.

I seem to recall that the severe service schedule for some cars back then was even less, like 1000 miles! I think that was when they didn't have oil filters though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back