Extended drain and engine longetivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with extended oil drains (Amsoil folks and others), say greater than 7500 miles ...

How many have cars with 150,000 miles or more on the odometer? And how are they doing?

My personal reservation is that it's not the oil that kills the engine, it the acids that kill the seals. I never had an engine die from wear (poor compression) but rather blew smoke due to seal failure. Conservative OCI's should eliminate that.

Amsoil has anti-acid additives and therefore retains its TBN well over long drains. The S3000 looks like a great oil. The only problem with Amsoil is it cost. Other oils like GC and Mobil T&SUV might prove to be more cost effective.

AMSOIL bought a used F150 used in landscaping business in Duluth MN for very little. Had been using AMSOIL 5W-30, 15k oil drains (commercial use).
No sludge in valve cover or oil pan. No measureable wear in what they could reach without dismantling engine, which is being used for something else at this point. Had something over 325,000 miles on it.

Most I've done in my cars is 200K, all but about 10K on AMSOIL. 85 Saab 900T, using about 10K drains (turbo). Still going strong when I sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back