Explorer st or telluride?

The 3L twin turbo is a upgraded version of the utterly reliable 2.7L EB truck engine. The 10 speed auto is the same. There is no reason to expect mechanical failures with the Explorer. It has a robust drivetrain.
2.7L twin turbo was not enough power? That engine has torque for days. Why go to 3? Was it a bore or did they add stroke? I like knowing the 2.7 can hold up under load, don’t really want thinner cylinder walls…

https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-owners-file-class-action-over-excessive-engine-1848797045#:~:text=The%20Hyundai%20oil%20consumption%20lawsuit%20alleges%20drivers%20must,more%20frequently%20than%20even%20the%20owner’s%20manuals%20recommend.

For reliability, 2 years is not enough to judge. Need to look at past 10 years or so across the board. Most cars are ok until the warranty of 60,000 miles. I was a technician at ford and Hyundai. I can promise you I replaced a lot more engines at Hyundai. You are very lucky if you make it to 125,000 miles on their 4 cylinder engines. The V6 is pretty good.

For reliability, 2 years is not enough to judge. Need to look at past 10 years or so across the board. Most cars are ok until the warranty of 60,000 miles. I was a technician at ford and Hyundai. I can promise you I replaced a lot more engines at Hyundai. You are very lucky if you make it to 125,000 miles on their 4 cylinder engines. The V6 is pretty good.
My wife drives a 2018 Elantra GT with the 2.0 engine we bought new.
So far she has 18K miles on it,125,000 would be a long time for her,about 27 years.LOL

You being serious with that comparison??

A 2006 Mustang has as much in common with the 2020+ Explorer ST as Sputnik has with the Space Shuttle.

FAR more complex vehicle.
Yeah nothing on a Mustang that could possibly go wrong. Got it

I'd go with the Telluride, and it's not really close. The 2wd version, preferably.

Hopefully they have things ironed out but Ford loses me if it has the internal water pump....

Aww come one! Its not like the coolant gets into the engine oil when water pump fails exploding the whole engine.
And its not like it is a 2400 dollar job to replace one IF you are lucky enough to catch it on time.

I would personally go with the Telluride. The V-6 engine is a workhorse, unlike the Theta 4. That engine has been around for a few years and proven itself to be solid. My daughter has one with about 125K on that engine, good as new no oil burn. I worry a bit about the reliability of the Explorer. Probably not a bad car but not among the best.

Looks like I’m going with the Kia, I love the Explorer but I really don’t need 400hp for the wife.
Looks like I have to order one online because the dealers don’t have what I’m looking for. Is there any room for negotiation when ordering a vehicle online probably not right?

Looks like I’m going with the Kia, I love the Explorer but I really don’t need 400hp for the wife.
Looks like I have to order one online because the dealers don’t have what I’m looking for. Is there any room for negotiation when ordering a vehicle online probably not right?

When we bought our Explorer, there was zero negotiation on Tellurides at the time. They had buyers lined up for every unit and it was basically get in line...

Can't imagine it's gotten better since...

We were shopping for an SUV and telluride was in the running. We decided against it, but just for your info…

When telling (what seemed to be an honest salesman) to leave us alone, that we’d decided against Kia, he asked why. It was many reasons but the fact that NOBODY will sell a telluride at MSRP was one of the factors.

He told us if we come end of month and they are sitting on any tellurides, or anything for that matter, that aren’t claimed with a deposit, they WILL at least sell at MSRP. Sometimes they’ll even sell lower, I guess factors of how desirable the particular car is in its configuration for your area (AWD / FWD, color, etc).

We have a couple high volume dealers here that sit on many tellurides, but refused to come down on an AWD. They want 10-15k over!

Palisade is the same car drivetrain wise, in case that helps your search. I really don’t like the look of it as much as a telluride, but the comforts and packages make your $ go further than with Kia.

At this point I don’t think you’ll find a 2022 telluride, so check out the 2023 to see if you still like it (minor changes). I think you’ll at least have to pay 5k over, and wait months (likely 3-6 or more, higher volume dealers get more allocations to choose from, but obviously have more orders waiting to be filled too, so it’s a toss up if a high volume dealer will fulfill your needs faster or not.

Back