Explorer engine options

Not looking to buy immediately, as it’s a bad time to buy cars IMO. But hopefully towards the end of the year I can afford a new car and by then the market will be different.

Now that the Explorer is on a RWD platform again, I think I’d be happy to have one as my next vehicle. I have no need for AWD.

My issue with the new Explorers is the engine options. The base power plant is the 2.3L EcoBoost. I personally prefer simpler engines, and going online there are plenty of complaints, but I also see oodles of Rangers and Explorers on the road.

There’s the hybrid options and of course turbo V6 options on upper trims but there’s another option offered in the police version, a naturally aspirated 3.3 V6. This is really the engine I want. Yet it seems I can not find it on Fords site for regular Explorers.

I want a basic trim level Explorer, I do not care a fancy features, but it seems there is no way to get the NA V6 unless I buy a used police vehicle. Which I have done before, and loved them, although both of them developed transmission issues. But at that point, used police vehicle with better engine vs new civilian EcoBoost 2.3, I’m just changing potential issues.

Any input, suggestions, etc? Like I said I’m not buying right now as my current vehicle is fine for my needs. but trying to get a feel for if the Explorer is the vehicle I should aim for. I think if the Explorer is a no I’d try to go for a new base model Sierra with the 5.3 but that’s far more expensive.

Last edited:
I too like the idea of a rwd based SUV. However Ford right now has the worst quality in the industry, with just a ton of open recalls. In fairness they released a lot of new products, but it seems like there trying to do too much all at once.

There also one of the OEM's pushing against right to repair the hardest - which I really don't understand. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog.

Add that to the most basic Explorer is going to be well over $40K, I think I might wait a couple years on that one - personally. Not trying to bash Ford in particular, but early model years of any vehicle run are always the ones with problems.

The 3.3L NA engine has lots of attributes. Frugal, I averaged 21.7 mpg over 3.5 years in a F-150. Better low end power than most give it credit for.

For a fast getaway just stomp it, it really does have 290 hp. The key is to go through the mid range quickly when you have the advantage of lower gearing in 1st and 2nd.

It used no oil during 5K intervals of Motorcraft 5w-20 semi swill at the dealer. It was not picky about fuel. Also a quiet engine but roared like a race engine with the 7K redline when the beans were issued.

One issue was at about 20K it developed the cam phaser tick on the drivers side cylinders. I traded it off soon after. Wanted a more economical vehicle and the trade ins were generous at that time.

I too like the idea of a rwd based SUV. However Ford right now has the worst quality in the industry, with just a ton of open recalls. In fairness they released a lot of new products, but it seems like there trying to do too much all at once.

There also one of the OEM's pushing against right to repair the hardest - which I really don't understand. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog.

Add that to the most basic Explorer is going to be well over $40K, I think I might wait a couple years on that one - personally. Not trying to bash Ford in particular, but early model years of any vehicle run are always the ones with problems.
Yeah, it’s sad there aren’t many options. Domestic, RWD, sure there is Tahoe/Yukon but those are way more $

No NA option in the current gen Explorer unless you find a used police version.

We own a 2.3 ecoboost powered 2021 Explorer. Currently at 25,000 miles on the clock. The only issue we've had was one loose nut holding on one of the panels underneath that caused a rattle noise. Beyond that, its been flawless for us. Plenty of power on tap and the 10 speed means its always got the right gear available, though some complain about it being busy... The engine tone is not great, and I remind myself it is a 4 cylinder, but the V6 Ecoboost in the truck just sound less harsh... Tows a 3000 lb boat effortlessly. Fuel mileage averages 22 MPG for us in an AWD version. (For comparison, in the exact same duty, our '07 V8 Explorer was 14.5 mpg). Just got 27 mpg on a trip this weekend in the teens for temps and on E15 fuel... Running winter tires, it is the best handling winter/snow/ice vehicle we've had... and we've owned a lot of pickups and SUV's.

The 3.3 F150's at work feel underpowered, but I'm used to my daily driver F150 with the 2.7... They really don't move until you get on them and wring the Rpms out...

Now that the Explorer is on a RWD platform again, I think I’d be happy to have one as my next vehicle. I have no need for AWD.
AWD is half the reason to get one of these trucks, and the only reason to get one without, is if you tow a lot. So if you don't, why do you want one when a car would be more fun to drive, comfortable and get better gas mileage?

A local Ford dealer is full of gen 5 Explorers as cop cars for service - the cops aren’t happy with them. Many of them are the hybrid version. Haven’t heard too much about the 2.3L non-PI version. Seems like electrical issues are plaguing this Explorer.

Paging @bdcardinal

Only reason we're on our 3rd Explorer is because my wife's family was employed by Ford for a few decades. Otherwise I don't think they are anything special and we would have an X5 or similar.

It drives nice and it is comfortable for 2 adults and 3 kids. We drive to south Florida a few times a year, about 8 hour trip. Ours has the middle row bucket seats and they are great for adults. Heated, reclines, good legroom. The 3rd row will fit adults but only for short trips.

Ours has the v6 turbo and its much faster than it needs to be. 90 feels like 60. You'll have no idea unless your staring at the mph. On the highway it gets around 22 mpg. City is about 20 usually. RPM at 80 is like 1800.

We're almost to 30k and only issue is the auto up windows randomly don't auto up. Motors and buttons always work. I think there is an update for the touchscreen but I haven't been to the dealer in awhile so I'll probably catch it at the 30k service.

Like I said before I would not recommend one for the price, you can get a BMW or similar suv. The sticker on ours was almost 60k, but was heavily discounted from the covid era.

Any specific questions let me know.

The OP is looking at a base model... MSRP is 39k to start there.

Previous post says look at a BMW for the same price. MSRP on a base model (admittedly better equipped) there is 61k... 22k more. Don't think I would go down the road of saying those are the same price...

The high end explorers are in that realm for price, but the base and XLT are not (though the XLT is creeping up there)

For reference, we bought our 21 XLT explorer, about as loaded as the XLT can get, for 43k. They have increased in price from there, but it was significantly less than a BMW.

Thank you all for your input so far . I’m not interested in a car and I’m not interested in a BMW.

I’m interested in as basic an Explorer as possible. Wouldn’t mind buying a used cop car but just concerned about having tranny issues like my last two cop cars.

I REALLY want an ST because if I can afford that I can afford to fix twin turbos at 100K or whenever but that’s out of budget and overkill for my needs.

I personally enjoyed my time in a loaner 2.3t explorer. As a 2.7eco owner, the low end torque from these turbo motors keeps engine rpm’s lower, which I find more pleasant for daily use. I know the 2.3 has to spin up more than a v6 would, but iirc it was usually shifting well under 3k and was extremely well-tuned to the transmission. Its shift points were very similar to my v6 NA Lexus. I personally would be fine going with the 2.3.

OK, so I went to the local Ford dealer and test drove a 2.3 Explorer.

I like it a lot, it was a nice vehicle. However, it still very much feels like a four-cylinder. Around town it was totally fine, and merging onto the highway felt more confident than in my Escape, but once it gets to highway speeds, it just runs out of steam if you wanted to accelerate quickly or pass someone. I didn't really push it, as I had the sales guy with me, and it's not my vehicle, but I just think it needs a little more power. A common complaint from reviews is the transmission programming, but it didn't bother me too much. It did some weird stuff at lower speeds, but it's definitely smarter than the 6F35 in the Escape and responds more quickly. For example, slowing down to a red light but accelerating because it turns green while you're still moving, it immediately knew what you were trying to do, which was nice.

Overall, I'm not super impressed, doesn't mean I won't buy one, every vehicle purchase is a compromise, I was just hoping for more. It didn't put a big smile on my face like I thought it should for something that costs like FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. Just really wish I could drive the same vehicle with the 3.3 NA V6 as I think it would be PERFECT, but nope, unless I can order a "cop car" that ain't gonna happen. Perhaps I will just try to save up cash and buy a used police version with the engine I want. We will see what the market is like around the end of the year when I think I will be ready to buy.

Still happy to hear any further ideas or feedback on this platform and its engines.

The 2.3 turbo is an option on the Mustang and is in the Ford Ranger. I would think the bugs are worked out of it by now.

C48BCB2F-26E7-4CF5-A143-B978D45C56CD.jpg
C69A1C70-0347-4FC2-8E22-7E529B914B63.jpg

If I was buying the explorer I'd definitely get it in the 2.3 and rwd. Plenty of engine for it. Get better mpg's and have something that'll cost less once it needs something. I like how the 2.3 has a metal pan and regular spin on canister filter. Not that composite pan and cartridge filter crap.

Five Star can probably get the 2.3 over 300 horse and maybe even with Warranty.

Back in the day when i was on the SSP list some people did have luck getting Cop Cars by going to LARGE fleet dealers and getting the fleet manager to tack one onto an order of take one that the coppers had backed out of for one reason or another.

The key was LARGE and being ready to do it. I suspect this is harder if not impossible now, but what's the worst that can happen, they tell you no?

Back