Expensive Fram Ultra filters around $30 each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram's XG10600 (for a VW Golf) is $31.54 at Walmart. Ouch! that's why the only two in stock were orange cans in an Ultra box. And this thing isn't even a cartridge filter; it's a spin-on!

The XG8712 (for many Volvos from the past 10-15 years or so) is $27.47

Why the [censored] are they so expensive?

Even the Napa Platinum and Purolator Synthetic versions of the Volvo filter are around $20, and the OEM filters can be had under $10. Fram should be cheaper than Mann and Mahle!

And that $31 XG10600 there's just no excuse for that. The Wix filter is about half the cost, sadly no Wix XP though.

On Rockauto the XG10600 is $21.89 -
21.gif

http://tinyurl.com/q8pmfdd

Yeah,and $10 shipping!

Buying filters online usually isn't worth it unless you can get free shipping.

Yea I have seen that, its b/c it has the part of the base plate of something on the filter.

The filter is very heavy.

I dunno why a car manufacture would do that....

that would cause people not to change the oil as much....

or to use cheaper filters.

I dont get it.

What was the manufacturer thinking specking such an oddball filter. The average person that spends $3 on a Purolator will be livid when they price out that filter and likely drive them away from purchasing that make car ever again.

$30 Fram ultra?? Ouch.. Love those filters but that crazy.. Feel sorry for you man. Mine only $8.93 but in all honesty its a living pain to get to the thing.

Iv had thought filters but my this regal is insane.. I'm sure many have it worse but dang..

Are you talking about the VW filter with protruding threads? VW only used them for a few years on one type of engine, that is why they are insanely expensive. Whenever I installed an aftermarket one, it was just someone elses name written on the OEM filter.

That was such a pointless design change.

Pretty simple when you look at the correctly built filters for that application. The VW design requires a special plastic "catch ring" built into the top of the filter and the filter mounting spud is actually part of the filter. To build it correctly to VW specs, all these parts must be included. Many companies design around it to avoid patent issues, we pay the patent holder to make the filter using FU media and that is where the cost comes in. My daughter has a Tiguan and it uses the same filter. They can be had for less if you shop around as many here have pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back