Exhaust Gas Analyzers

I'm always a sucker for vintage tune-up tools, and one carb tuning guide I've recently come across(published by SU) gives instructions in the form of a CO meter, or as best as I can tell what was sold as an exhaust gas analyzer here.

Looking a bit around Ebay, I've found 70s era meters made by Heathkit and ASI. They seem to sell for similar prices for similarly complete ones, so that's not really a factor.

Does anyone have experience with these? If so, can anyone recommend one over the other, or possibly an alternate brand? I bought a Penske branded tach-dwell, or really an automotive multimeter, from a member here back in the spring, and it's been a dream to use.

We started using the 2 gas analogue (CO and HC) for CNG and LPG in the '80's, and had to go into low range for gas...getting it down to 1.5 % CO - WOW ! By the '90's they wouldn't even register with modern vehicles and we had a 4 gas digital on our SUN MEA. And then....they were obsolete, carbs were gone, and so was adjustment. They were good for a diagnostic tool, but that's a lot of money (for us) for something you hardly need.

The SU is a dirty carb (no emulsion tube) and is going to be around 4.5 % CO at idle....you'll be able to smell the HC content. I still have a 2 gas under my bench, it is 12 volt, so you could take it on a drive...and it took up the whole passenger seat. Needs repair, and not just worth it...if there are any parts available, and there weren't last time I tried.

A few years ago I could have bought as many of these things as I wanted for next to nothing. The emission program went from dyno and exhaust gas analyzers to OBD2, most of the drive on dyno's got scrapped and many analyzers got sold.
I cant justify the space for it for the use it would get.

Thanks for the responses guys, but I'm not asking necessarily about the "big" dyno type ones or similar.

Rather, I seem to find several on Ebay that seem to be geared more toward small shop or advanced home mechanic. This is one such unit

Back