excessive trailer hitch play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah just get the ol' grinder out and a BFH and you'll be able to get it off and weld a new one on. I did that to my trailer and just for some extra strength I even bolted it on too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Here is a pic.

That's a new one on me - how do you clamp it down on the ball? What does the top of the hitch look like?

To me, it looks like the bolt that holds the hitch in place was never installed, although there is a hole which I'm guessing is for the bolt and spring.

How in the world does that thing stay on without popping off?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Here is a pic.

That's a new one on me - how do you clamp it down on the ball? What does the top of the hitch look like?

To me, it looks like the bolt that holds the hitch in place was never installed, although there is a hole which I'm guessing is for the bolt and spring.

How in the world does that thing stay on without popping off?

I think GreeCguy is correct, you are missing parts. Something along these lines.

CP02-050_spec_1000.jpg

You can buy coupler repair kits at etrailer.com. But the question is which one? Before busting out the grinder and changing the whole tongue, i really would go to a trailer shop, they may have the parts on hand and could fix this in a matter of minutes, i would not tow with this until its fixed.

Last edited:
Actually, towing the trailer empty may be more dangerous, as the tongue weight is probably the only thing keeping the tongue on the ball!!! Be very careful!!!!

woops sorry had a GHT moment.

1 7/8 = 2000# ball
2"= up to 6000# or so.
2 5/8 heavy duty class V bumper pull 10000# or so.

as mentioned is correct.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Rand
you most likely need a 2 1/8 ball

2" balls were mostly used on very low capacity trailers
max 2000lb

2 1/8 on upto 6000lb or so

2 5/8 were for stout "bumper pulls"(vs gooseneck etc).. ie 10000lb

There's a lot of confusion here.

I have a 2" ball that is rated at 6000 pounds, which I use on the tow dolly that pulls the Town and Country. It is nothing special, it was a Reese brand that I grabbed at Wal-Mart.

The manual for the two dolly specified 2" ball with a 6000 pound capacity.

There is no 2 1/8" ball. There is 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16". Or at least according to Reese, who is a huge player in the industry.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product_categories/hitch_balls

From how many decades ago is this 2000 pound number coming from? Or are you thinking about 1 7/8" ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back