Picked up a little trailer!

That’s about the style my brother and I bought. He hauls his mower in the summer and I use it for firewood in the fall and winter. It’s small enough to pull behind a tractor in the woods so all we do is load it up and hitch it to my truck. It’s held up great.

I do wish better tire options were out there.

I think each of my trailers is $35 a year to register? sub 3k gvwr.

Nice size trailer, very handy. imo the hf 4x8 is a great “bed extender” for most cars, giving great utility for home owners, and I haven’t been without one for like 20 years.

Nice trailor. I could use something like that. They are too expensive even used for me right now to justify a purchase.

I checked the tire size: it's got 4.80-12 tires with what I'm assuming is a 5x4.5 hub pattern. Maybe I can step up to a 13" tire/wheel combo?

I checked the tire size: it's got 4.80-12 tires with what I'm assuming is a 5x4.5 hub pattern. Maybe I can step up to a 13" tire/wheel combo?
I want to say the tire will cost more, and I'm not sure the trailer is "rated" for any more of a load than those 4.8x12's are good for.

I don't use my trailer "a lot" but I never had an issue with the tires and high speeds (well past the HF rating of 55mph max). I did have more issues with the bearings, from water getting in. Speaking of which, I know the HF trailers use metric bearings which are not cheap to get locally. I forget where I got bearings and seals from last time (probably Amazon) but I'd look into that.

That all said, I wouldn't mind finding a different set for one of mine, but I need a wider tire for more floatation (the trailer that aged out is used for yard work). Shorter would be nice too.

Looks like your hitch ball is a little high... probably doesnt matter.
also what's the opinion on safety chains.. I usually cross mine.

Yes, I would recommend getting a new receiver adapter that drops the ball down a few inches so that the trailer is closer to being level, and Yes, the chains should be crossed. Good catch Rand!

If you think about the reason why the chains should be crossed, it'll make sense and you'll want to do it. If they are crossed they will cradle the trailer if it ever were to become disconnected from the ball. If they're not crossed, the tongue will slam to the ground and dig into the road and then your trailer will pole-vault itself into a giant fire ball of mass destruction. Cross your chains!!!

Oh, forgot to mention: this isn't a Harbor Freight trailer, it's made by Teske Manufacturing out of Springfield, MN.

Super common trailer hub pattern. Dad used my 02 Ranger wheels on his when I got new ones. A little 4x8 utility trailer with (225/70?)15s on it. They fit under the fenders. Utility trailers don't usually have any suspension, so if it clears, it clears.

Also a very common car hub pattern. You should be able to find some cheap used wheels in the jy. My Mazda3 has the same pattern. Throw you some low profile 17s or 18s on there! Lol

Back