excellent diesel oil comparison tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There are some examples where an ISB is paired with VPB dino oil and running near 20k miles per OCI, with only full flow filtration. Can that be done by everyone? Probably not. But the point to understand is that some engine/lube combinations are much more tolerant that you'd think.

Agreed.
Well if everyone knew better to change oil filters when time is proper, they would achieve 20K miles as well.
Using quality filters is a prerequisite though!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Let's not confuse the oil vs oil debate with thinking it directly translates to long-lasting engines in of itself; if the same vehicle is cared for well and the oil like any other tool is used correctly based on the applications needs and the 'definitively VARRIED' lube types(read, tools).

Don't use tools incorrectly.

Could not agree more.

Equipment longevity is directly related to proper maintenance programs. Synthetics are no more likely to get longer life than is any other option. There are prime examples of many vehicles getting more than 1 million miles with good maintenance. Whether or not one uses synthetics is not directly linked to equipment lifecycle; proper maintenance is.

You can just as easily over or under use any lube, regardless of basestock/brand/grade.

The key to a successful maintenance program is to use any lube up to it's full potential, but not so far as to risk equipment health. Premium products such as syns and bypass filtration get you longer OCIs, not longer equipment life.

Last edited:
The PC-11 report was very interesting. You can even see the politics hiding therein.

I'm moving up to the kindergarden stage of my understanding on all this...

Originally Posted By: GBL
The PC-11 report was very interesting. You can even see the politics hiding therein.

I'm moving up to the kindergarden stage of my understanding on all this...

Everything they do today is political. No surpeise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back