EVs are running out of customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the government will mandate the GSA purchase 60K EVs for federal agencies. Poof! Problem gone.
I have an Amazon EV electric van delivering goods in my neighborhood everyday. The truth of the matter is there are plenty of government and municipal agencies where EVs are a perfect fit. The guy I bought my truck from deals with cities and gets first choice at their used vehicles. Some are 4 to 5 years old with 20,000 miles on them. They never leave the city-or are just driven to adjacent locations. This purpose is great for EVs.

I have an Amazon EV electric van delivering goods in my neighborhood everyday. The truth of the matter is there are plenty of government and municipal agencies where EVs are a perfect fit. The guy I bought my truck from deals with cities and gets first choice at their used vehicles. Some are 4 to 5 years old with 20,000 miles on them. They never leave the city-or are just driven to adjacent locations. This purpose is great for EVs.
Excuse me, we don't do nuance here. EV bad or EV good - pick a side.

But seriously, I agree. They work for some applications, and not so much for others - at least in their current state.

They're not really affordable for the average person.
The average new ICE car is like $49,000.00-those are not affordable either.

I don't see many "cars" for those prices. Most are SUV's. Camry's and Accords still sell in the $30K range and the Altima/Sonatacar can be found for under $30K in real world terms.

I don't see many "cars" for those prices. Most are SUV's. Camry's and Accords still sell in the $30K range and the Altima/Sonatacar can be found for under $30K in real world terms.
Yes-I would agree the term car might mean vehicles.

My thoughts, and I'm far from a marketing genius, many younger folks can't afford these prices. The older folks, like me, that have been fairly frugal their whole lives and can now afford $50k on a new vehicle can't stomach that much money. That leaves the either people making fiscally questionable decisions or rich folks to buy vehicles like a Chevy Blazer. I think Chevy's line up of SUVs are really sharp looking but for $50k, there is a lot of competition.

Reactions: CKN
My thoughts, and I'm far from a marketing genius, many younger folks can't afford these prices. The older folks, like me, that have been fairly frugal their whole lives and can now afford $50k on a new vehicle can't stomach that much money. That leaves the either people making fiscally questionable decisions or rich folks to buy vehicles like a Chevy Blazer. I think Chevy's line up of SUVs are really sharp looking but for $50k, there is a lot of competition.
I bought a very slightly used pickup last September. I saved 20grand over a new one. Yes-I bought used because I couldn't cut the check (mentally for a new one.

Same issue in the UK and Europe, I was reading an article in the news yesterday about EV over supply. If you look to buy one though it's not all models and makes that have big discounts, at least not yet.

The cause is simple: the EU bureaucrats have tasked manufacturers with increasing the proportion of EV's in their output with big fines if they don't achieve these targets. This artificial rate of change to EV's is not anywhere near being matched by customer demand. The manufacturers are going to be stuck with unsold inventories on their hands. It seems like they will have a choice of big fines or big discounts to shift them. The inevitable result of political meddling in any market is always a degree of chaos.

Politicians virtue singling policies based on nothing but wishful thinking are coming unstuck in every area of the drive to net zero. You might have heard about the expansion of the ultra low emissions zones in London. That's going down like a lead balloon. After spending £200 million on the number plate recognition cameras, one third of them have already been vandalised by protest groups.

Once more companies are building equivalent vehicles to their own gas powered vehicles for the same price I can see them being more popular. Say they had the Camry for example being offered for 28 grand with gas or electric with same LE trim then you leave it to the customer to choose what they want.

The long distance vehicle obstacle will be an issue for quite some time IMO. The charge rate will have to become what HK claim the 80% in 10-18 mins or whatever it was

Imagine taking that 1000 mile trip for family vacation and being forced to stop 5 times or more and each stop will be a minimum of 20 mins. Now perhaps it’s not terrible to get that road weary rest every 2-300 miles but some are very against it and want every mile and minute to count.

Imagine taking that 1000 mile trip for family vacation and being forced to stop 5 times or more and each stop will be a minimum of 20 mins. Now perhaps it’s not terrible to get that road weary rest every 2-300 miles but some are very against it and want every mile and minute to count.

Then those people should drive a vehicle equipped with an ICE for that once a year trip.
I don't understand why this is such a sticking point for the consumers that EV's are being targeted towards:

People who own a house, with a driveway or garage, and already own multiple vehicles.

I wouldn’t trust an electrical vehicle in my garage for fear that it might spontaneously catch fire and take down my home. Also, most of my driving is long distance, and I’m not comfortable with trusting the range on an electric.🫤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back