Evinrude is done.

I saw references to it but Evinrude was dropped by BRP during the Covid commotion. The were the last guys to keep the two cycle high horsepower boat engine alive with the ETec. Those 300HP ETecs will be collector models.

Anyone still running a Evinrude?

A4C9634C-1F43-4D57-A66C-3972DDD7B0B5.png

It was discontinued in May 2020.

I had just ordered a new Ranger bass boat in April 2020 and luckily was able to switch my order to a Yamaha SHO. Haven't looked back since.

2 stroke motors are still very popular in most of the world, excluding the wealth parts USA, EU. They are easier to work on, lighter, fewer moving parts and better low end torque. Mercury, Yamaha and Tohatsu? are still making them and I understand the Chinese are gearing up.

Some Chicom company is ready to take their place. Mercury is already making outboards there, this is a very sad state of affairs and it is only getting worse.

Merc has only made the bigger motors in the US for a long time … smaller units = some other company made them …
Some of the super-charged Verado series cost what a basic sedan does 😳

Covid likely influenced the Evinrude shutdown. I was in the Marine industry for 2 decades. Folks in the know that I keep in touch with stated that the larger engines were very problematic and constantly in the shop for repairs. Parts failed early and obtaining parts was a problem. That and the 300 HP maximum limited sales especially with Merc having the 400 & 450 for larger boats. It is a shame and a big loss no matter the reasons.

Covid likely influenced the Evinrude shutdown. I was in the Marine industry for 2 decades. Folks in the know that I keep in touch with stated that the larger engines were very problematic and constantly in the shop for repairs. Parts failed early and obtaining parts was a problem. That and the 300 HP maximum limited sales especially with Merc having the 400 & 450 for larger boats. It is a shame and a big loss no matter the reasons.
Because of factory staffing issues? I live on a lake and EVERYONE bought boats last year. Boats and campers.

I know a few people who work at marinas and last year was their busiest year ever.

I saw references to it but Evinrude was dropped by BRP during the Covid commotion. The were the last guys to keep the two cycle high horsepower boat engine alive with the ETec. Those 300HP ETecs will be collector models.

Anyone still running a Evinrude?

View attachment 62087
The E-TEC are great until you need to service those injectors, I do them once in a while (I prefer not to), they can be real trouble especially if they went swimming or got water in the fuel.

Evinrude has always been a little odd starting with their push button electric shift back in the 1980s?

I was a Johnson outboard fan when younger and had outboards.

Because of factory staffing issues? I live on a lake and EVERYONE bought boats last year. Boats and campers.

I know a few people who work at marinas and last year was their busiest year ever.

No one has questioned the huge surge in the marine industry. Staffing? Factories were shut down due to Covid which is why boat & engine manufacturers are now scrambling to meet demand. When dealers finally get a truckload of boats in they are already sold. Even Yamaha is having problems filling orders to dealers.

2 stroke motors are still very popular in most of the world, excluding the wealth parts USA, EU. They are easier to work on, lighter, fewer moving parts and better low end torque. Mercury, Yamaha and Tohatsu? are still making them and I understand the Chinese are gearing up.
2 strokes are also loud and smokey. Those things will give you black lung. I'd take a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke all day. And do, I have 3.

Back