Itchy throat causing cough

The item I link to is a lot less expensive than the prediluted. Just dilute it for gargling.

I made a doctors appointment for this afternoon but in the meantime I’ve been literally coughing nonstop for the last 12 hours due to an itchy feeling in my throat. It feels like one specific spot and it’s causing me to cough. Yes I’ve had this cough for two months now but it seemed to be going away and was almost healed but the last week it’s just got worse again and now it won’t stop.

I’m super irritated and can’t even sleep. And feel bad for my housemates I hope I’m not keeping them awake.

Any brilliant suggestions? I’ve tried hot tea with lemon and honey, cough drops, NyQuil, mucinex, literally nothing makes a difference.

Before anyone asks yes I’ve done two Covid tests both negative so I didn’t think it was important to make an appointment til now it’s just getting too annoying.
Any history of smoking?

Update, I had a video doctors appointment and they sent me in for a chest X-ray so I did that and we’ll find out Monday. I appreciate all the suggestions, I tried a few things and can tolerate it a little better.

Probably better getting advice from your doctor or a pharmacists then from Bob the Oil Guy forum....
This is true, though my take on this one is that there is a Dr appt already in place and it’s more of an ideas request for short term relief.

Obviously BITOG is not for medical or legal advice, amongst other professional advisement needs.

All I know is that for the first time in years there is recurring strep and other illnesses going around. Three kids in three different classes, two different schools, plus other exposure my wife and I have doesn’t help. But I’ll go years without getting sick,yet this year I’ve had a few cases of mild illnesses and strep, none that far apart.

Hope you feel better soon, next time don’t hesitate to see doctor for persistent cough.

finding the true cause of many health issues is tough + Docs only know drugs as thats what they are taught in schools funded with donations from big pharma etc. + getting to the real cause can be costly using $$$ tests. look at your diet as well any drugs or supplements you use, good luck! i take a LOT of supplements + somewhere along the line my annoying athletes feet went away!! i eat healthier these days which helps but guessing its better gut health from better food choices + lo carb-sugar intake + the probiotics i am using + many common foods are allergens modern grains especially hybridized wheat is one. search with Dr Google as my real Doc calls him + try eliminating common allergens, good luck as health is wealth!! almost ALL foods + drinks are NOT as clean as years ago having all kinds of fake additives to enhance flavor on the cheap, + my favorite holistic Doc Dr Sten Ekburg notes 165 names for sugars as manufacturers try to hide bad stuff as we learn more, its not an accident that people that eat better in other countries that DON'T have all the JUNK that the USA does in foods + i have read + believe even the same branded products can have different ingredients due stricter control. our country is GREAT but run by BIG $$$$$ that gets things pproved that should not, read labels + search to learn as much as you can about hidden junk in foods much of it NOT required to be listed in the USA!

Last edited:
You should have/get a family doctor* and ask them not anonymous strangers on an oil forum.

*I presume you don't since you mention doing a telehealth visit. Family doctors are free and if you're young and healthy, going once a year should be all that's necessary. This isn't medical advice either 🤣 Most insurance plans cover a yearly "wellness" visit 100% too.

You should have/get a family doctor* and ask them not anonymous strangers on an oil forum.

*I presume you don't since you mention doing a telehealth visit. Family doctors are free and if you're young and healthy, going once a year should be all that's necessary. This isn't medical advice either 🤣 Most insurance plans cover a yearly "wellness" visit 100% too.
Learning for all is a good thing imho we await the diagnosis

Sounds like a tonsil stone to me. Even dogs can have them. And vets pretty much know nothing about them.
For that matter I don't think too many Dr.s do either. Just search it on youtube and see them.

I made a doctors appointment for this afternoon but in the meantime I’ve been literally coughing nonstop for the last 12 hours due to an itchy feeling in my throat. It feels like one specific spot and it’s causing me to cough. Yes I’ve had this cough for two months now but it seemed to be going away and was almost healed but the last week it’s just got worse again and now it won’t stop.

I’m super irritated and can’t even sleep. And feel bad for my housemates I hope I’m not keeping them awake.

Any brilliant suggestions? I’ve tried hot tea with lemon and honey, cough drops, NyQuil, mucinex, literally nothing makes a difference.

Before anyone asks yes I’ve done two Covid tests both negative so I didn’t think it was important to make an appointment til now it’s just getting too annoying.
What did the doc say?

You know you’re a redneck when you seek medical advice from car/oil forum. 🙈.🙉.🙊.
Kidding aside, I’ve had that exact same symptom. I wanted to find a long stem cotton swab to scratch the upper roof of my throat, where it was itching. I recall using some of that numbing spray you find at over-the-counter drug store. That was back before Covid so I just dealt with it the best way I could until it passed.

Last edited:
A good temporary itchy throat cure that i do is drink a soda that is very carbonated and drink it slow, so that the carbonation "burns' the throat, getting rid of the itch.

Welcome to my world. Been dry coughing since November.

But all this rain has caused a different allergen, that you don't typically see in CA... mold.

Been sucking down on Wal-Mart brand sugar-free cough drops to temporarily alleviate it, so I can sleep.

Been to urgent care 4 times, as doctor appointments have been difficult... so, yes I have gotten the narcotic cough medicine which helps, but I don't want to appear that I'm addicted to it.

Back